Captain Chaos
Member
- Joined
- 31 Jan 2011
- Messages
- 840
I find it bizarre that house price rises are so celebrated. In this country in particular. I don't hear many people celebrating at work. Nor many people my own age. If any. The only people I can think of are those who can afford to invest in property etc. Do most people actually care what their home is currently worth? Does it truly matter? House prices and our obsession with their rise has always confused me. If they get to a point where most ordinary folk cannot realistically afford them then how can the market be sustainable? You need new buyers in the market. Otherwise all you get is property just swapping hands with people in the hope of making a few quid. It no longer becomes a house or a property or a home. It just becomes stock in a sort of stock market.
It's stupid. I haven't got anything against people wanting to make a few quid. Far from it. But I think it's all gone to far.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Indeed. I wanted to move to Reading. Knew I'd never be able to buy so looked at renting. On my basic salary alone (tying not to fall into the trap of relying on overtime and commission etc. Being sensible) I would have around £100 - £200 per month left over after all bills, food etc. It's not really affordable on my own. I could do it. But each month would be rather tight.
I looked at moving to Swindon. I'd be around £300 - £500 left over (fluctuations are for variable things such as car running costs. Heavy use or light use depending on shifts). It's a no brainer. I might, MIGHT even be able to buy in Swindon at some point. But it's mad that you have to move 40 miles away from a place to find something affordable on your own on a Guards wage. It ain't exactly a poor wage now!
EDIT: I will also add that the property in Reading would be a 1 Bed Flat in a reasonable area. You can get 2 Bed's for similar in not too bad areas if you're lucky. The Swindon example is for a minimum 2 Bed Flat in a Good area of Swindon (Old Town. Not a bad area I have been told by my any colleagues who live there). You can get a 3 Bed House if willing to pay a little bit more. You'd still be better off when compared to Reading.
It's stupid. I haven't got anything against people wanting to make a few quid. Far from it. But I think it's all gone to far.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Typically you should be able to borrow four times as much as your salary. I totally agree with you though as to how difficult it is. I'm looking at buying in the next 3 or so years but I will have to move way out of London and commute in. Even from February I will have to look at renting again as my current flatmate will be moving on. I'm really struggling to find anywhere affordable that is in reasonable condition for my budget, anywhere near an Underground station.
Indeed. I wanted to move to Reading. Knew I'd never be able to buy so looked at renting. On my basic salary alone (tying not to fall into the trap of relying on overtime and commission etc. Being sensible) I would have around £100 - £200 per month left over after all bills, food etc. It's not really affordable on my own. I could do it. But each month would be rather tight.
I looked at moving to Swindon. I'd be around £300 - £500 left over (fluctuations are for variable things such as car running costs. Heavy use or light use depending on shifts). It's a no brainer. I might, MIGHT even be able to buy in Swindon at some point. But it's mad that you have to move 40 miles away from a place to find something affordable on your own on a Guards wage. It ain't exactly a poor wage now!
EDIT: I will also add that the property in Reading would be a 1 Bed Flat in a reasonable area. You can get 2 Bed's for similar in not too bad areas if you're lucky. The Swindon example is for a minimum 2 Bed Flat in a Good area of Swindon (Old Town. Not a bad area I have been told by my any colleagues who live there). You can get a 3 Bed House if willing to pay a little bit more. You'd still be better off when compared to Reading.
Last edited: