• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Hotel Recommendations please - Salzburg, Venice & Switzerland

Status
Not open for further replies.

philjo

Established Member
Joined
9 Jun 2009
Messages
3,024
I would be grateful if anyone could recommend some hotels that are close to (or easily accessible from) the station in Salzburg & Venice. I'll be spending 2 nights in each place in late August/early sept. Ideally for B&B I wouldn't want to pay more than £75 per night (though I expect that Venice would cost more than that)
I have looked at the Ibis budget in Salzburg which is about a mile but on a direct bus to the station & seems to be less than £50 per night but wondered if there was anything a bit closer that wasn't much more in terms of cost.
We stayed in Venice 10 years ago about 5 mins walk from the station but can't remember the name.

Switzerland - not sure where I am staying yet. I may stay 3 nights in Luzern (& getting the direct train to Milan on departure day) or may split it between Luzern and 1 night somewhere else like Chur. I'm trying to work out the train times to see where is best to stay.
I have looked at the Ibis in Luzern which is about 10 mins walk from the station - is there anywhere else that is recommended?

Many thanks.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
Joined
9 Aug 2009
Messages
15,268
Location
Llanelli
In Venice I would recommend staying near the Mestre station on the mainland, as it is cheaper than staying in the actual city, yet only a few minutes away by rail.

It may not be of interest to you, but I found excellent value accommodation at the Hotel Tell in Interlaken. It's not luxurious by any means, but the beds are good and it's very clean. There's a pub downstairs that has great food at reasonable prices.

Cheap sleeps and cheap grub are hard to find in Switzerland and I was impressed with the Hotel Tell. It's a few minutes from the West station by bus, and you get free public transport for the duration of your stay.
 

30907

Veteran Member
Joined
30 Sep 2012
Messages
21,991
Location
Airedale
Venice - Mestre is fine if you don't mind the industrial surroundings, and would be good for rail traffic. Depending on how tight you are for time arriving and departing, a B&B at Lido could also be worth considering, with a much more attractive trip into and out of Venice for sightseeing (we stayed in a super place called Villa Casanova - don't be put off/get overexcited - but it only has doubles and you say "I")

Chur - I stayed in the Drei Koenige many years ago but this year we are booked into the Post. PM me next month if you want a review! Both are town centre.
 

tony6499

Member
Joined
27 Sep 2012
Messages
914
I found all hotels in Luzern stupidly expensive, you may get deals online but avoid any walk ups
 

eastwestdivide

Established Member
Joined
17 Aug 2009
Messages
3,426
Location
S Yorks, usually
In Switzerland:
I've stayed in Chur at Zunfthaus zur Rebleuten, not silly expensive, quite friendly, English spoken, right in the old town, about 15 mins from the main station, and just round the corner from a station on the street-running section of the Arosa line (not visible).
For an alternative away from the cities, how about Göschenen, the Chalet Hotel Krone? I stayed in 2013, not too dear, right beside the station on the Gotthard route, friendly German owners with good English, quite informal and flexible.
 

Springs Branch

Established Member
Joined
7 Nov 2013
Messages
1,683
Location
Where my keyboard has no £ key
Regarding Venice, I have stayed at Hotel Bologna in Mestre, which is directly across the street from Mestre railway station (handy if you have any luggage with you, which can be a pain to transfer to hotels in Venice itself).

Mestre in general is very industrial, but around the station is just like a "typical" Italian town centre (of the non-tourist variety), with some good neighbourhood places to eat and drink, much cheaper & more authentic than Tourist Central in Venice itself.

There are trains every few minutes from Mestre across the lagoon to Venice Santa Lucia all though the day and late into the evening.

It was a few years ago I stayed at Hotel Bologna and it was totally acceptable. I see it still gets good reviews on Tripadvisor.
 

matabiau

Member
Joined
16 Jun 2012
Messages
21
Location
Toulouse, France
I was in Lucerne last year. I stayed in the Hotel Continental-Park. It was very nice and right next door to the station but, like most hotels in Lucerne, very expensive. Lucerne is a tourism centre in Switzerland so you should expect steep prices.

If you do go there I can heartily recommend the chocolate shop in the railway station opposite the ticket office. The best I tasted in Switzerland!
 

Philip C

Member
Joined
21 Feb 2013
Messages
407
I was in Lucerne last year. I stayed in the Hotel Continental-Park. It was very nice and right next door to the station but, like most hotels in Lucerne, very expensive. Lucerne is a tourism centre in Switzerland so you should expect steep prices.

If you do go there I can heartily recommend the chocolate shop in the railway station opposite the ticket office. The best I tasted in Switzerland!

If you are contemplating staying near Luzern I can recommend the Hotel Rigi at Vitznau. It is a very short walk from the landing stage and partly built over the Vitznau Rigi Bahn. It is a traditional family hotel at affordable rates (just). Whilst it's an hour on the boat from Luzern I've always felt that an advantage and there's always the half-hourly bus connecting with the railway at Brunnen & at Kussnacht to fall back on.

Could I follow this with a health warning? Stick to the Swiss chocolate which can be delicious - tasting chocolate shops is not generally to be recommended!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top