• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Horsham to Bath - via Reading or Southampton?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Joined
19 Jun 2005
Messages
21,841
Location
Nowhere Heath
If I was to do that, I'd go via Southampton. I haven't any fares advice, but it feels to me that despite Reading to Bath being fast you have to endure the slow route via Gatwick Airport first.

Via Southampton is the same number of changes (2 unless there's through trains from Horsham to Southampton, but I think those go via Hove), but you have the benefit of not dealing with the large and busy Reading. I think it's also a little quicker to go via Southampton.
 

Kite159

Veteran Member
Joined
27 Jan 2014
Messages
22,849
Location
West of Andover
If I was to do that, I'd go via Southampton. I haven't any fares advice, but it feels to me that despite Reading to Bath being fast you have to endure the slow route via Gatwick Airport first.

Via Southampton is the same number of changes (2 unless there's through trains from Horsham to Southampton, but I think those go via Hove), but you have the benefit of not dealing with the large and busy Reading. I think it's also a little quicker to go via Southampton.
Unless it's a Sunday then there should be an hourly train from Horsham to Southampton, which from memory gives a good connection into the GWR service, stepping back at Cosham/Fareham for a same platform change.

Fare wise, might be worth putting it into a train splitting website to see if it suggests any splits over the standard 'not via London' ticket.
 

Snow1964

Established Member
Joined
7 Oct 2019
Messages
11,229
Location
West Wiltshire
There are also variations which might be quicker at certain times of day, eg Horsham to Clapham Junction, then Salisbury to Bath

I am not sure if journey planners allow the walk at Dorking to Dorking Deepdene as a valid connection if you took the direct Horsham-Dorking train and walk to North Downs line.
 

mrcheek

Established Member
Joined
11 Sep 2007
Messages
1,607
For me this would be easy: via Reading. If you go via Soton, then you will have to endure the Portsmouth-Cardiff service, with its frequent cancellations and short forming leading to overcrowding
 

30907

Veteran Member
Joined
30 Sep 2012
Messages
21,988
Location
Airedale
There are also variations which might be quicker at certain times of day, eg Horsham to Clapham Junction, then Salisbury to Bath

I am not sure if journey planners allow the walk at Dorking to Dorking Deepdene as a valid connection if you took the direct Horsham-Dorking train and walk to North Downs line.
The flexible fares are simply NOT LONDON which allows via Deepdene (the obvious route if the connection is tolerable) or CLJ to Reading.
There are no Advance fares via Fareham but I'd check for splits that way.
 

SouthEastBuses

On Moderation
Joined
15 Nov 2019
Messages
1,800
Location
uk
Unless it's a Sunday then there should be an hourly train from Horsham to Southampton, which from memory gives a good connection into the GWR service, stepping back at Cosham/Fareham for a same platform change.

Fare wise, might be worth putting it into a train splitting website to see if it suggests any splits over the standard 'not via London' ticket.

Correct, there still is a hourly train from Horsham to Southampton Monday to Saturdays from 06:00 to 21:00 (last train out of Southampton is at 21:33 but only goes as far as Gatwick Airport, which isn't an issue for me though as the journey terminates after Horsham).
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top