• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Horni Plana, Cerny Kriz and surrounds

Status
Not open for further replies.
Joined
27 Feb 2007
Messages
276
Folks,

I'm off to Ceske Budejovice with the family later this month and I'm looking at days out in the surrounding area. One of the obvious possibilities is Cesky Krumlov. I'm keen for any tips or local knowledge, but in particular I'm wondering whether it's worth going further west from Cesky Krumlov to Horni Plana or Cerny Kriz (or even Nove Udoli). It looks like a scenic area, but is there anything to see or do when you get there? I'm quite happy sitting on a train watching the world go by, but this is a family holiday after all so I don't want to make all of us sit on a train for ages if there's not much to do at the far end!

Many thanks in advance for any ideas or information.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

30907

Veteran Member
Joined
30 Sep 2012
Messages
21,972
Location
Airedale
My wife and I spent 10 days in the area based at Horni Plana a couple of years ago. I suppose it all depends on what you/they like doing, and how much time yiu have. It's probably too late now, but I would consider an overnight or two, as the 90+ minutes on the train might pall on a repeat visit.

Horni Plana on Lake Lipno is a resort town with a sandy beach, a cross-lake ferry, places to eat etc. There are lake cruises on certain days.
Frymburk, further east, is IMO a nicer town but bus only - though you can get as far as Lipno by train.

The area around is good walking/cycling/mountain biking country, the Nova Pec/Jeleni Vrchy/Stozec area in particular. We did a reasonably strenuous walk from Ovesna called the Bear Path to Jeleni Vrchy where you can explore the Schwarzenberg logging canal complete with tunnel and get a bus back to Nova Pec.

Cerny Kriz is a junction in the middle of nowhere, but ISTR gives access to a bogland nature reserve on the Vltava river. Change there for Volary abd Prachatice - the latter is a lovely old town and not swarming with tourists like C. Krumlov.
OT: I strongly recommend a visit to Trebon from C.Bud. Bus is quickest, but going the long way round by train gets you diesels and doubledeck stock.

Back to Lake Lipno : from Volary towards Strakonice is a particularly scenic branch line.

I would consider heading further west into the Sumava National Park which has a good bus network in season. ISTR there is a direct bus C. Bud to Kvilda which is rather quicker than the train, but it is possible to pick up the bus at Lenora.

You will find a bit of German helps, though enough people speak English.

Feel free to PM if you want a more focussed reply, or can't find stuff online.
 
Joined
27 Feb 2007
Messages
276
30907 huge thanks, that gives me a lot to go on! I'll do some research based on what you have written, but I might just take you up on your offer depending on how I get on!
 

30907

Veteran Member
Joined
30 Sep 2012
Messages
21,972
Location
Airedale
30907 huge thanks, that gives me a lot to go on! I'll do some research based on what you have written, but I might just take you up on your offer depending on how I get on!
No probs. My interest in the area was sparked by a trip report on a German forum some years ago which included the Sumava "Green Buses" as well as the classic traction on the lines we're talking about (sadly for us, if not for normal users, now operated with secondhand German railcars).

Only a couple of hours, and a report of a holiday last month appears - the last part is about Poland, ignore it....and if your device/brain won't translate, there's uptodate pix.
https://www.drehscheibe-online.de/foren/read.php?030,9027717
 
Last edited:

30907

Veteran Member
Joined
30 Sep 2012
Messages
21,972
Location
Airedale
Another update: the South Bohemian transport authority JIKORD has a day ticket covering the area of the CD regional one but including buses and the GW-operated routes (but not the JHMD narrow gauge) at a slightly higher price, CZK250. Don't know if this covers urban bus/trolleybus in C Bud.
 

oldman

Established Member
Joined
26 Nov 2013
Messages
1,351
Don't know if this covers urban bus/trolleybus in C Bud.

It does. On weekdays it covers one adult and one child (0-15 years), at weekends 2 adults and 3 children. You have to buy it at stations or tourist information places. Information in Czech is here.
 
Joined
27 Feb 2007
Messages
276
Many thanks to you both for the information provided - much appreciated and very useful. We had a wonderful holiday including trips to Horni Plana and Trebon during our week in Ceske Budejovice, as well as a week in Vienna. All went well until yesterday afternoon when the French ATC strike reared its ugly head as we tried to fly home from Vienna - cue impromptu odyssey on Nightjet, ICE and Eurostar! And then out to Gatwick to get the bleddy car! If any of my photos turn out okay, I'll post them in the next few days. In the meantime, my thanks again!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top