• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Hornby HST Powercars

Status
Not open for further replies.
Joined
30 Jun 2009
Messages
1,133
Location
Nottinghamshire
Just a quick question really, I have an old Hornby HST Midland Mainline set, DCC chipped by me, runs fine on the flat with a rake of 5 and dummy powercar, but I now have a bridge on my layout and it struggles to say the least, but are the newer DCC ready/fitted Powercars any better or will I be wasting money buying them?

I added extra weight to my old set and that drastically improved the performance and it pulled a rake of 7 plus dummy but the incline is too much for it. I did consider a powered powercar at each end, but will see on that one....

Cheers CSK
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

hairyhandedfool

Established Member
Joined
14 Apr 2008
Messages
8,837
I've never owned a model of the new one, but it is all wheel drive (better traction) and it is heavier (better traction).

I do know that with the Lima HST, two power cars with motors was sufficiant to moved a 2+8 set up hill at a reasonable pace, but the motor need to work at similar pace or you could end up with a new problem, derailing!
 

deltic1989

Established Member
Joined
21 Sep 2010
Messages
1,483
Location
Nottingham
maybe another powered power car as opposed to a dummy would do the trick? failing that, on my layout i have an incline that my hst set ( an old hornby one) with 7+2 struggles a little with. i find that one of my 5 lima Deltics makes a wonferful banker.
 
Joined
30 Jun 2009
Messages
1,133
Location
Nottinghamshire
I am gonna go for the new Hornby East Midland HST powercars and take it from there, if they don't work then Ill sell the lot as a full rake, along with my Midland mainline one, But I seriously doubt I could part with either!
 

wensley

Established Member
Joined
29 Jun 2008
Messages
2,045
Location
On a train...somewhere!
I'd recommend the new PCs highly, well worth the cost. A lot heavy and more powerful not to mention the lights and detail. I have a GC pair and have had the on a 2+10 rake on the flat no worries, top model :D
 

Wim G.P.R

Member
Joined
7 Aug 2006
Messages
65
Location
CARDIFF
Another cause could be the traction tires on the powered bogie.

Weighting a loco fitted with these can result in these turning on the wheels and they degrade as they get older anyway.

You can get them from any 'proper' Hornby retailer for under a £5.

Although for hill climbing you really need to add a powered chassis to the unpowered car!
 
Joined
30 Jun 2009
Messages
1,133
Location
Nottinghamshire
Well I had a quick search around for the EMT powercars, as I knew the DCC ready versions were on offer at Hornby and Model Zone for £129.99, but found them DCC fitted at Hattons for £122!

Ordered them early yesterday morning on next day delivery before 1pm, and I'm still waiting! Grrrrrrr, these should be running round my layout now, not much chance of that happening tonight now!
 

hairyhandedfool

Established Member
Joined
14 Apr 2008
Messages
8,837
I think you might need to be patient at this time of year, even next day delivery can be delayed when Christmas is five days away!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top