• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Honiton to Warrington Bank Quay

Status
Not open for further replies.

piccadilly

Member
Joined
21 Apr 2017
Messages
175
Good Morning.

I wanted to Travel to Warrington Bank Quay on 6th July catching the 10.17 from Honiton to Bristol Temple Meads then to from Temple Meads to Warrington.

Following the excellent advice from this forum, by buying two journey tickets, rather than straight through, I can save about £20.

However the Trainline Booking Service informs me that the tickets on the 10.17 and the following train 11.16 are "sold out"

I prefer actually to buy my tickets at the station on the 6th, but is there another booking site I can use? - it seems unlikely the tickets are sold out.

Kind Regards,
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Jurg

Member
Joined
10 Aug 2017
Messages
213
Good Morning.

I wanted to Travel to Warrington Bank Quay on 6th July catching the 10.17 from Honiton to Bristol Temple Meads then to from Temple Meads to Warrington.

Following the excellent advice from this forum, by buying two journey tickets, rather than straight through, I can save about £20.

However the Trainline Booking Service informs me that the tickets on the 10.17 and the following train 11.16 are "sold out"

I prefer actually to buy my tickets at the station on the 6th, but is there another booking site I can use? - it seems unlikely the tickets are sold out.

Kind Regards,
Try https://new.trainsplit.com/ which should be able to get you the cheapest split of tickets for your whole journey AND sort out reservations where required.
 

Tazi Hupefi

On Moderation
Joined
1 Apr 2018
Messages
1,931
Location
Nottinghamshire
Some trains require a mandatory reservation now because of social distancing, so may well be technically fully booked, although I'd imagine there will usually be space available on the day, although it's not guaranteed, and I don't know if some ticket checking staff would prevent access to the train.
 

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Joined
26 Sep 2020
Messages
16,784
Location
UK
If Trainline are saying the service is booked out, you won't be able to book a reservation on that service through another website (apart from, if you're lucky, through the XC 10 Minute Reservation text service on the day). They use exactly the same industry-wide reservations data/system as all other retailers.

Whilst XC have put their services down as "reservation compulsory" in the timetable data, I can confirm this is NOT being enforced on any regular basis. Many trains show "fully booked" even though there are loads of seats left.

I really wouldn't worry about it - just select another service when booking, and in the highly unlikely event of your intended service being overcrowded and only those with reservations being admitted, you can simply wait and take the train you reserved.
 

Fawkes Cat

Established Member
Joined
8 May 2017
Messages
5,324
- just select another service when booking, and in the highly unlikely event of your intended service being overcrowded and only those with reservations being admitted, you can simply wait and take the train you reserved.
Assuming, of course, that you are buying tickets valid for any train. If you are buying 'Advance' tickets (that is, tickets which are labelled as 'Advance' as opposed to buying tickets which you could buy on the day of travel, but buying them in advance) then they are only valid on the particular train that you bought them for.
 

island

Veteran Member
Joined
30 Dec 2010
Messages
17,913
Location
0036
As well as the above good advice, for future reference avoid using Trainline as it is usually more expensive than booking directly with the train company and never cheaper.
 

piccadilly

Member
Joined
21 Apr 2017
Messages
175
Thank You for your helpful advice.

I have booked on the 12.16 but hope to catch the 10.16 - the ticket is described as an off peak return - I assume this is not an Advance ticket?
 

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Joined
26 Sep 2020
Messages
16,784
Location
UK
Thank You for your helpful advice.

I have booked on the 12.16 but hope to catch the 10.16 - the ticket is described as an off peak return - I assume this is not an Advance ticket?
Yep, the ticket you've booked is flexible so you are free to catch the 10:16 if you prefer.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top