Thought inspired in another now locked thread, @FenMan said:
"For what it's worth, my opinion is established professionals who are set up at home love working remotely. But for younger employees who want to get on who live in flat-shares or have a young family in a small home, i.e most of them, it's pretty tough."
I was home working for about 18 months prior to covid, and didn't really like it very much as I prefer to interact with people directly, and I felt quite "remote" from any colleagues. Ironically, covid resulted in the company rolling out Teams and I now am reasonably happy working from my home office (but I'd still prefer to go in) as a middle-aged professional.
But I think it would be very different for a younger person. Thinking back to my early career, it was a funny time of life in a lot of ways and interacting with my work mates helped get me through a few sticky patches where I think in other circumstances I might have given up, or fallen flat on my face.
I was actually nearly fired from my first job as a result of being perceived to be lazy or useless or some combination of the two. Someone took me under his wing, reported back to the brass after a few weeks that I was fine and they shouldn't listen to everything certain people tell them and was given the benefit of the doubt. I ended up being fought over by factory managers who wanted me to be in their respective teams and achieving the quickest ever promotion to a particular role.
I'm certain that sort of situation where someone is prepared to stick their neck out for a newbie just wouldn't happen remotely where there's very little chance to build an interpersonal relationship.
If someone offered me a job on the same pay as I do now "but you have to come into the office every day" I'd snap their hand off.
I'm not certain home working is the panacea it's made out to be. For sure if you're established in a career avoiding the commute and saving the time and money is a good thing, but we lose a lot of other intangible benefits IMO.
"For what it's worth, my opinion is established professionals who are set up at home love working remotely. But for younger employees who want to get on who live in flat-shares or have a young family in a small home, i.e most of them, it's pretty tough."
I was home working for about 18 months prior to covid, and didn't really like it very much as I prefer to interact with people directly, and I felt quite "remote" from any colleagues. Ironically, covid resulted in the company rolling out Teams and I now am reasonably happy working from my home office (but I'd still prefer to go in) as a middle-aged professional.
But I think it would be very different for a younger person. Thinking back to my early career, it was a funny time of life in a lot of ways and interacting with my work mates helped get me through a few sticky patches where I think in other circumstances I might have given up, or fallen flat on my face.
I was actually nearly fired from my first job as a result of being perceived to be lazy or useless or some combination of the two. Someone took me under his wing, reported back to the brass after a few weeks that I was fine and they shouldn't listen to everything certain people tell them and was given the benefit of the doubt. I ended up being fought over by factory managers who wanted me to be in their respective teams and achieving the quickest ever promotion to a particular role.
I'm certain that sort of situation where someone is prepared to stick their neck out for a newbie just wouldn't happen remotely where there's very little chance to build an interpersonal relationship.
If someone offered me a job on the same pay as I do now "but you have to come into the office every day" I'd snap their hand off.
I'm not certain home working is the panacea it's made out to be. For sure if you're established in a career avoiding the commute and saving the time and money is a good thing, but we lose a lot of other intangible benefits IMO.