• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Hollyoaks film train crash

Status
Not open for further replies.

alexl92

Established Member
Joined
12 Oct 2014
Messages
2,368
I have absolutely no interest in soaps whatsoever but I have just noticed a trailer for an apparent upcoming film, which appears to feature a crash involving a Class 14 hauling a set of MK2s hitting a car parked on the track.

Does anyone know where it was filmed and how? I can't imagine any owner of a working, preserved loco allowing it to be used for an actual collision.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

starrymarkb

Established Member
Joined
4 Aug 2009
Messages
5,985
Location
Exeter
If the film company pay for the hire plus repairs many owners will jump. It's not going to do much if any damage to the loco!
 

Geeves

Established Member
Joined
6 Jan 2009
Messages
2,648
Location
Rochdale
Filmed at the ELR around the Heywood station area. Not sure about the 14, I believe they had a mock up.

The PW also did some work to the track to make it appear damaged.
 
Last edited:

fgwrich

Established Member
Joined
15 Apr 2009
Messages
10,661
Location
Hampshire
Filmed at the ELR around the Heywood station area. Not sure about the 14, I believe they had a mock up.

The PW also did some work to the track to make it appear damaged.

Exactly that. The Class 14 is indeed a wooden mock up, that to the eye was so convincing passengers on the line did initially believe a 14 had 'fallen over'. The Mk2s are however real, but laid carefully on their sides.

All filmed on the East Lancs for an upcoming 'week' of C4s Hollyoaks.
 

M7R

Member
Joined
15 Sep 2010
Messages
271
The loco on its side is a mock up in steel I belive for most of it with some extra bits in wood not all wood, look at the pic in the Flickr link, the frame holding the wheels is going rusty, but the wheel profile is wrong, there's no gears or motors etc inside the frame work to drive the wheels...but it will be close enough to fool the average Joe who watches holly oaks that's for sure
 

w0033944

Member
Joined
23 Jul 2011
Messages
555
Location
Norfolk
The loco on its side is a mock up in steel I belive for most of it with some extra bits in wood not all wood, look at the pic in the Flickr link, the frame holding the wheels is going rusty, but the wheel profile is wrong, there's no gears or motors etc inside the frame work to drive the wheels...but it will be close enough to fool the average Joe who watches holly oaks that's for sure

Indeed - it's that photo that shows it's only a mock-up, but, in general, it's very convincing.
 

dysonsphere

Member
Joined
22 Jan 2013
Messages
518
thats why set builders and the SFX guys earn a lot of money. soent 30 years in the film and tv industry and you wouldnt belive what can be done.
 

HarleyDavidson

Established Member
Joined
23 Aug 2014
Messages
2,544
thats why set builders and the SFX guys earn a lot of money. soent 30 years in the film and tv industry and you wouldnt belive what can be done.

I would, we had the film "The Holiday" with Cameron Diaz filmed not far from where we live and they built a house in a field near the church and it was so convincing that an American visitor wanted to know who owned it as they were so taken by its charm that they wanted to buy it! :lol:
 

Jonfun

Established Member
Joined
16 Mar 2007
Messages
1,254
Location
North West
Filmed just outside Bury on the East Lancs a couple of months back

The mocked up 14 was made of steel in order to give it a bit of weight so it looked more realistic when it came off the rails. As has been said, the coaches are the real thing - albeit not ones in brilliant condition.
Effectively the wheels on the "14" are just the bare minimum that it needed to stay on the rails - not all of them are flanged, as you can see from one of the pictures above. There's no point going beyond functional on bits like that because they won't be noticeable during filming.

I believe the mockup's since been scrapped, or at least waiting to be.
 

table38

Established Member
Joined
12 Oct 2010
Messages
1,812
Location
Stalybridge
During the Diesel Gala in September, whilst the "carnage" was visible alongside the track, they were handing out this leaflet with the tickets:

Scan-141110-0001.jpg
 

najaB

Veteran Member
Joined
28 Aug 2011
Messages
33,734
Location
Scotland
I have absolutely no interest in soaps whatsoever but I have just noticed a trailer for an apparent upcoming film, which appears to feature a crash involving a Class 14 hauling a set of MK2s hitting a car parked on the track.
If anyone is interested, I think this episode of Hollyoaks is on tonight (11/11).
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Looks like I was wrong, the episode ended with the train barrelling down onto the car, which was stuck on the tracks.... Now I need to do something to restore the brain cells lost in watching a whole episode of Hollyoaks.
 
Last edited:

dysonsphere

Member
Joined
22 Jan 2013
Messages
518
If anyone is interested, I think this episode of Hollyoaks is on tonight (11/11).
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Looks like I was wrong, the episode ended with the train barrelling down onto the car, stuck on the tracks.... Now I need to do something to restore the brain cells lost in watching a whole episode of Hollyoaks.

Correct you need to roll youre sanity dice
 

martin2345uk

Established Member
Joined
21 Sep 2011
Messages
2,409
Location
Essex
Just watched the crash itself - pretty spectacular even if it seems unlikely the loco would suddenly leap into the air like that after pushing a mini along the tracks for a while...!!
 

PaxVobiscum

Established Member
Joined
4 Feb 2012
Messages
2,411
Location
Glasgow
Found the actual crash on youtube
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RbXOwjyGH0A
Spotted a huge error already as first it shows the train hitting the mini and pushing it along the line. Then it shows the train hitting it again and jumping and derailing. So it hit the same car twice !

I think most people will just see it as the train pushing the car along for a bit and then the car being overridden by the loco. Unlikely perhaps, but this is TV. ;)

Anyway, Bond film addicts are well used to seeing the same explosion several times consecutively from different angles - 'artistic licence'.

EDIT: or even Hollyoaks fans - as in https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=auxbLbBD6Ag from 01:34
 
Last edited:
Joined
22 Jan 2014
Messages
10
Location
Meshaw, South Molton, Devon
Watched tonight on C4 and E4 just to see what happened after I saw some preview photos - got to admit I didn't notice the 'mistake' where it hit the car twice!

Wonder what happened to the train driver? Nobody ever thinks of the poor driver in these situations!

Oh and is it just me or does this preview photo look slightly photoshopped? :p

soaps-hollyoaks-train-crash-car-collision-3.jpg
 

alexl92

Established Member
Joined
12 Oct 2014
Messages
2,368
Please tell me that the first coach following the mock-up 14 was also a mock-up?
 

Harbon 1

Member
Joined
30 Apr 2011
Messages
1,020
Location
Burton on Trent
I would guess a mock up was used for filming the collision, but then a carefully positioned real loco for the after scenes.

Is mentioned in the rail publications, it's a full metal mock up that weighed I think 4 or 14 tons that's laid out on its side
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
After watching the video, they didn't do a bad job of that to be fair! I like the shot of the woman falling off the toilet :lol:

I was expecting it to be as bad as the coronation street tram crash but that wasn't bad at all.

I don't watch soaps and especially not this one, was it supposed to be a normal train or did they go to a preserved line to get to the wedding?
 

fgwrich

Established Member
Joined
15 Apr 2009
Messages
10,661
Location
Hampshire
Is mentioned in the rail publications, it's a full metal mock up that weighed I think 4 or 14 tons that's laid out on its side
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
After watching the video, they didn't do a bad job of that to be fair! I like the shot of the woman falling off the toilet :lol:

I noticed that bit too, Half asleep and tipped off the bog - Rather unlucky day for her :lol:

As for it hitting the mini twice, poor mini! As if it's fate was bad enough being sealed in an episode of Hollyoaks but to be hit twice! Nice sneaking in of the 47 though. :)
 

ushawk

Established Member
Joined
5 Nov 2010
Messages
1,965
Location
Eastbourne
I don't watch soaps and especially not this one, was it supposed to be a normal train or did they go to a preserved line to get to the wedding?

Judging by the fact theres a party on board, Id guess it was a special, hired train on a preserved line.

Apart from pushing the mini along the line for a while, it doesnt look too bad.
 

mr_jarhead

Member
Joined
13 Feb 2013
Messages
44
The crash will be on C4 tonight at 6:30pm. The crash happens within the first few minutes.

It involves a mini getting stuck on the track and diesel pulling some Mk1 coaches hurtling towards it.....

Spoiler below





soaps-hollyoaks-train-crash-car-collision-3.jpg
 

table38

Established Member
Joined
12 Oct 2010
Messages
1,812
Location
Stalybridge
Early Mk.2 coaches. You can tell by the windows :)
</pedant>

And at least it was a preserved railway, so of course it definitely would never be going any faster than 25mph...

1415559739781_wps_2_Embargoed_to_0001_Monday_.jpg
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top