• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Holiday Reading. ....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Joined
21 Feb 2018
Messages
920
A couple of books for holiday reading!


Michael Williams; The Trains Now Departed – Sixteen Excursions into the Lost Delights of Britain’s Railways; ISBN 978-0-099-59058-3.

Tom Chesshyre; Ticket to Ride – Around the World on 49 Unusual Train Journeys; ISBN 978-1-84953-826-8.

Two excellent paperback books for an enjoyable read on holiday! I picked up both second-hand at very reasonable prices.
 
Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Calthrop

Established Member
Joined
6 Dec 2015
Messages
3,689
Thank you for this. The Trains Now Departed definitely feels, from the description, tempting. Assorted delightful lines featured: I'd feel inclined to buy it, for its covering the Stratford-on-Avon & Midland Junction alone. I love that line, and only wish that I had ever had the good fortune to see anything of it when operational -- strikes me as the quintessence of barmy highly-rural British lengthily over-grown-branch-line, rambling pointless rail routes !
 

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Joined
8 Jan 2009
Messages
17,291
Thank you for this. The Trains Now Departed definitely feels, from the description, tempting. Assorted delightful lines featured: I'd feel inclined to buy it, for its covering the Stratford-on-Avon & Midland Junction alone. I love that line, and only wish that I had ever had the good fortune to see anything of it when operational -- strikes me as the quintessence of barmy highly-rural British lengthily over-grown-branch-line, rambling pointless rail routes !
Have a hardback copy of the book, acquired in 2017, will dig same out and have a re-read of the relevant chapter.

Favourite section in the book, though, is possibly the chapter on the invariably eccentrically run 'Shropshire and Montgomeryshire Light Railway' and what happened to a certain debt collector / bailiff in late 1866. ;)
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top