I’m in quite a tricky situation with a holiday we cancelled due to FCO guidelines being not to travel.
Of the whole four weeks, there were only 4 things that I could not get a refund on, (two hotels and two flights) so I contacted my travel insurer and let them know I wished to open a claim. They opened the claim and sent me the form and instructions. Firstly I was required to contact the company I booked with and ask them for a refund, even if it was sold on a non-refundable basis, and attach proof of them declining my refund.
I was then required to contact my credit card company, and initiate firstly the chargeback and then the s75 process if that was not authorised. For one of these I was fairly confident in being successful as the airline was refusing to refund me despite them cancelling the flight (Greece passed a law stating their airlines do not have to refund for 12 months). For the others I felt a little embarrassed doing this because I didn’t see why the credit card company was liable, and the booking confirmation which I had to provide as evidence clearly stated that the hotel rooms were non-refundable. Nonetheless the girl on the phone understood and said that they are getting thousands of similar requests and proceeded to process my chargeback requests.
To my surprise, these have all been approved, the cases closed, and the money put back into my account. When I spoke to the credit card company, they said that the merchant has 60 days to appeal, but even beyond that, if they provide any convincing evidence, the money could be taken back off me.
Not quite sure where that leaves me now. Could they take the money off me in 6 months, and where would that leave me with making a travel insurance claim!?