• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Hither Green train accident 5/11/67

Status
Not open for further replies.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Joined
7 Jun 2014
Messages
14,671
Having recently joined this forum,I'd like to introduce something that has been bothering me, off and on, for almost fifty years, in the hope that somebody here may be able to elucidate.
The Hither Green accident was one of the worst in British railway history with forty fatalities. A diesel-electric train from Hastings to Charing Cross came off the line just to the south pf Hither Green Station in S.E. London. The accident report blamed a broken rail. No other trains were involved.
At the time I was a teenager living within a few miles of the crash scene: in fact, I was waiting on the platform at Grove Park station for a Charing Cross 'stopper' when the fateful train came hurrying through.
From what I remember of news reports in the hours and days after the crash there was a lot of talk of excess speed and the train 'just swaying from side to side and falling off the track.' I believe the Accident Report absolved the driver of speeding.
Where this accident happened was adjacent to the South Circular Road. Londoners will be mostly aware that, unlike the North Circular, this is no purpose-built road but a name given to a succession of disparate, mostly down-at-heel roads roughly linked. The South Circular, at this point actually St Mildreds Road, passed under the railway bridge where it all started.
Now every school day from autumn 1959 until 1966 my bus route to/from school took me past this very spot. On a day which I can only narrow down to being in 1960 or possibly 1961 I was amazed to see a steam loco and tender lying on its side adjacent to the track, only yards from the main road. There it remained for several days until, one morning, it had gone. Whether this ever made the local paper (Kentish Mercury, Lewisham edition) I cannot say or any railway magazine. I did try writing to the Mercury after the 1967 crash to remind them of this incident but neither received a reply or ever saw any mention of the coincidence of one steam loco and one electric train both falling off the line at almost exactly the same point a few years apart (and, I think, exactly the same line.)
Anyone with any knowledge of this first incident, and was it also due to a broken rail?
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

455driver

Veteran Member
Joined
10 May 2010
Messages
11,329
Here is a brief account of the Hither Green incident-

http://www.railwaysarchive.co.uk/docsummary.php?docID=99

A derailed/ run away steam loco wasnt really thought of needing much of an investigation (except an internal one) so there probably isnt any record of it.
My how times change, we cant fart without there being a report about it now!
 
Last edited:

John Webb

Established Member
Joined
5 Jun 2010
Messages
3,781
Location
St Albans
I was resident on Shooters Hill at the time you mention. I certainly recall the DEMU crash in 1957, but don't recall reading about the derailed loco.

If you look at the end of the official report on the 1957 crash, there is a track plan of the area. There is a trap point and associated short length of track at the end of the Up Siding which heads straight for St Mildred's Road. It does have a buffer stop, but my guess is that for some reason the loco failed to stop and went through the buffer stop to end up where you saw it.

If you can find a copy of the Middleton Press book that covers that section of line - probably under 'Mid-Kent' - it is likely that the derailed loco might be mentioned or even photographed in that. There was an accident at Maze Hill in July 1958 where an empty coaching stock train collided head-on with a Charing Cross-bound EMU. The Middleton Press book "Charing Cross to Dartford" has a BR picture of this accident, which I have never seen published elsewhere.
 

Trog

Established Member
Joined
30 Oct 2009
Messages
1,546
Location
In Retirement.
The results of the passenger train accident still live on in the track. 113A rail with its thicker web instead of the older 110A to give greater resistance to star cracking at the bolt holes, and the instruction that you should not change the sleeper type within two sleepers of a joint.
 

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Joined
7 Jun 2014
Messages
14,671
Thank you all for your replies. I sometimes wonder whether I'd imagined that first incident. Times certainly have changed - there was absolutely nothing stopping anybody accessing that steam loco, mere yards from the pavement. Even the real crash in 1967, again only a matter of 100 yards or so from the main road, did not see more than a very perfunctory closing of the main road and no attempt whatsoever to stop the numerous side roads in the area feeding into the main road. As I said previously, sitting on Grove Park station we (it was a Sunday evening, fireworks night, there were very few passengers around) had no idea what had occurred, our slow train had come into the platform, we had got on, then, of course, nothing: there were lots of bells ringing in the staff room on the platform and animated conversations, involving our driver and guard too, so we knew there was a problem. I believe the Bromley North shuttle, on which I had arrived, quietly set off back there when it was realised there was going to be no train arriving from Charing Cross with which to connect. Being of an inquisitive nature and realising there was no point sitting on a train going nowhere I set off on foot towards Hither Green, which was where I had been originally going, and gradually became aware that something major had occurred. In those days, you did not hear piercing sirens from a long way away, but the number of ambulances passing me confirmed the seriousness of the situation. All emergency personnel were engaged in the rescue operation itself and it was then, having just prevented an incoming ambulance crashing into another taking a casualty to Lewisham Hospital, I decided to do 'point duty' at the nearby crossroads, which had traffic lights. A policeman eventually came over and said 'well done,lad' or words to that effect and I stayed there for about two hours. At one stage I counted 23 ambulances queued waiting to take casualties away: another thing that resonated with me as to the seriousness of it all was the fire engine arriving from Kingston-upon-Thames at one stage, surely the longest-ever 'shout' they'd been involved in.

Sorry if I've gone on a bit, it has been cathartic to write this even though I was only on the fringes. I shall look with interest at the links you have given me and thanks once again to the responders- I knew someone would come up trumps!
 

John Webb

Established Member
Joined
5 Jun 2010
Messages
3,781
Location
St Albans

Very likely, I would think! There's a photo of the 1957 crash taken from the opposite direction on page 201 of Stanley Hall's "Railway Disasters", which ties in the picture of the derailed 'Spam Can' to the up loop line - the RACS Coal office is clearly visible in both pictures. (RACS = Royal Arsenal Cooperative Society, then based in Woolwich.)
 

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Joined
7 Jun 2014
Messages
14,671
Very likely, I would think! There's a photo of the 1957 crash taken from the opposite direction on page 201 of Stanley Hall's "Railway Disasters", which ties in the picture of the derailed 'Spam Can' to the up loop line - the RACS Coal office is clearly visible in both pictures. (RACS = Royal Arsenal Cooperative Society, then based in Woolwich.)

Yes, thank you very much, it definitely was. I do remember there being a coal office there, didn't remember it was good old R.A.C.S., they sure had fingers in many pies.
 

30907

Veteran Member
Joined
30 Sep 2012
Messages
21,981
Location
Airedale
Geographically connected if nothing else: one of my early memories is of Downsbridge Road Bridge at Shortlands junction, and looking at an engine that had overrun the end of the up local line as was. This was before the 1959 rebuilding. There's a published photo, probably one of Dick Riley's as I think he lived locally, which shows it was an N mogul.
 

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Joined
7 Jun 2014
Messages
14,671
Geographically connected if nothing else: one of my early memories is of Downsbridge Road Bridge at Shortlands junction, and looking at an engine that had overrun the end of the up local line as was. This was before the 1959 rebuilding. There's a published photo, probably one of Dick Riley's as I think he lived locally, which shows it was an N mogul.

Thank you for that information- I shall try to find that photo. I briefly owned a record shop close to Shortlands Station so local enough for me!
 

30907

Veteran Member
Joined
30 Sep 2012
Messages
21,981
Location
Airedale
Might be in the Ian Allan "Heyday of Stewarts Lane and its Locomotives. Can't check as on holiday!
BTW nothing as exotic as a record shop in the village when I was living there....
 

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Joined
7 Jun 2014
Messages
14,671
Might be in the Ian Allan "Heyday of Stewarts Lane and its Locomotives. Can't check as on holiday!
BTW nothing as exotic as a record shop in the village when I was living there....

Only had it for a few months c1979 - my business partner ran off with the takings!
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
It was called Beat'n Tracks to reflect its geographical position
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top