• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

History 1970

Status
Not open for further replies.

belladoona

Member
Joined
10 Apr 2020
Messages
5
Location
east Sussex
Please can any one tell me the average cost of a second class ticket from Paddington London to Newquay Cornwall in 1970. This is important to me as my old Dad paid for ticket at the time , Which must have been hard for him .As he did not earn much.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

StephenHunter

Established Member
Joined
22 Jul 2017
Messages
2,927
Location
London
National Railway Museum would probably be the best people to ask here, they'd have the records of fares to hand. Also, as the main museum is closed, they've probably got plenty of time on their hands...
 

belladoona

Member
Joined
10 Apr 2020
Messages
5
Location
east Sussex
National Railway Museum would probably be the best people to ask here, they'd have the records of fares to hand. Also, as the main museum is closed, they've probably got plenty of time on their hands...
Thank you Stephen I will certainly take your advice. Belladoona
 

30907

Veteran Member
Joined
30 Sep 2012
Messages
21,970
Location
Airedale
Worth mentioning that BR fares at that stage were still more-or-less on a pence-per-mile basis. I can't find a figure online ATM though, but 4d/mile rings a bell...

Edit: see below, 3 1/2d.
 
Last edited:

flymo

Established Member
Joined
22 May 2007
Messages
1,553
Location
Geordie back from exile.
Timetable world (< click the link) shows a price of 64 Shillings (so £3 4s) for an ordinary single journey in second class a few years back in 1965. Under 14s were half price and under 3 were free. So whilst not exactly what you need I guess it may be a ballpark figure with no doubt increases over the years to 1970. So maybe about 70 Shillings ?

Of course there may have been special returns available, weekend returns, some type of excursion tickets or other inclusive fares to bring the cost down a little, a few years before my time I'm afraid.

Hope this helps, if only a little
 

30907

Veteran Member
Joined
30 Sep 2012
Messages
21,970
Location
Airedale
Timetable world (< click the link) shows a price of 64 Shillings (so £3 4s) for an ordinary single journey in second class a few years back in 1965. Under 14s were half price and under 3 were free. So whilst not exactly what you need I guess it may be a ballpark figure with no doubt increases over the years to 1970. So maybe about 70 Shillings ?

Of course there may have been special returns available, weekend returns, some type of excursion tickets or other inclusive fares to bring the cost down a little, a few years before my time I'm afraid.

Hope this helps, if only a little
64s for 280m is 2 3/4d a mile which fits with my memory of 2/6d for 10m; I assume there was a taper over long distances.
I have now found an Ordinary Return Bromley South - Teignmouth for 1970 at 110/- for 200-odd miles, so a bit under 3 1/2d per mile.
Pro rata would be 154/- return so 76/- single (£3.80 for younger readers).
I don't think that will be more than 1/- out.

Unlikely to have been any significantly discounted fares (we were travelling on a Saturday).
 

belladoona

Member
Joined
10 Apr 2020
Messages
5
Location
east Sussex
National Railway Museum would probably be the best people to ask here, they'd have the records of fares to hand. Also, as the main museum is closed, they've probably got plenty of time on their hands...
Stephen I haven't been able to get help so far on my question ,about the cost of a ticket single to Newquay from London average cost . I know its a bit of a cheeky, but do you think you could ask them for me. I'm a woman and not all that computer competent. Thank you so much. belladonna, or Sue. date 1970.
 

belladoona

Member
Joined
10 Apr 2020
Messages
5
Location
east Sussex
Thank you for your help, it has indeed been interesting how money changes over the years. member30907 and flymo. I was 17 at the time and it would have been a week day, but a long time back now.
 
Last edited:

30907

Veteran Member
Joined
30 Sep 2012
Messages
21,970
Location
Airedale
Thank you for your help, it has indeed been interesting how money changes over the years. member30907 and flymo. I was 17 at the time and it would have been a week day, but a long time back now.
I've had another look at some late 60s timetables and the only fares routinely advertised were ordinary singles/returns. Cheap Day or Cheap Offpeak (day) Returns were common, and special excursion fares, but I have no recollection of widespread reduced period return fares - those came in soon after 1970 IIRC.
I've struggled to hit the right combination of words for Google too :(
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top