Just out of curiosity - and referring to the era when BR was still BR (and before)
One or two things I've read about signalmen refer to different 'classes' of signal box, and the implication that signalmen would (when vacancies came up, and if they were so inclined and were passed as competent) move up through the classes of signal box, and this would be reflected by a higher pay rate.
How did this work for other railway jobs?
Presumably a porter was a porter whether they were at a major or minor station, but I would have thought that (for example) the station-master at Paddington would have been on a higher pay grade than the station master at a rural station - did station jobs have a class as well?
And how did it work for (what would now be called) train crew, as in drivers, firemen, guards? I understand there was a system of 'links' with a 'top link' doing wholly or mostly longer distance express trains, but were there separate pay grades for the respective links, or was it more of a job satisfaction / prestige thing?
I've seen references to an element of pay being mileage related, which would have been higher for longer distance express services - would this have made a significant difference in pay compared to (for example) working in a link that mostly did suburban or branch line trains?
One or two things I've read about signalmen refer to different 'classes' of signal box, and the implication that signalmen would (when vacancies came up, and if they were so inclined and were passed as competent) move up through the classes of signal box, and this would be reflected by a higher pay rate.
How did this work for other railway jobs?
Presumably a porter was a porter whether they were at a major or minor station, but I would have thought that (for example) the station-master at Paddington would have been on a higher pay grade than the station master at a rural station - did station jobs have a class as well?
And how did it work for (what would now be called) train crew, as in drivers, firemen, guards? I understand there was a system of 'links' with a 'top link' doing wholly or mostly longer distance express trains, but were there separate pay grades for the respective links, or was it more of a job satisfaction / prestige thing?
I've seen references to an element of pay being mileage related, which would have been higher for longer distance express services - would this have made a significant difference in pay compared to (for example) working in a link that mostly did suburban or branch line trains?
