• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Historic Routeing Selby-Doncaster and LNER query

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikeg

Established Member
Joined
20 Apr 2010
Messages
2,071
Location
Selby
I recently made a request to LNER as fare setter of the flow for the Selby to Doncaster 'any permitted' ticket, as to when the validity via Leeds was withdrawn. I do seem to remember via Leeds being permitted many years ago. Does anybody know when this was?

I say this as this was the response to my email:

Thank you for contacting London North Eastern Railway regarding Routing.



I have looked into your enquiry for you.



I'm unable to give you an answer to this enquiry, due to not having access to this information.



Pleas make sure to enquire about routing with Network rail. You can contact them on 03457 11 41 41, which is open 24/7. They shall be able to assist you.



Thanks again for contacting London North Eastern Railway.

Yours sincerely,

Stephan

Customer Services Team

London North Eastern Railway

And Network Rail? For a fares related query? Seriously? I have to say that's a new low for competence on the railway.

Here is my proposed response:

Dear Stephan,

Thankyou for taking the time to respond. It may have been removed by a previous franchisee of the InterCity East Coast route.

For your information, Network Rail have nothing to do with permitted routes, the National Routeing Guide (data.atoc.org/routeing-guide) being maintained by the Rail Delivery Group.

Is it possible for this to be escalated to somebody with more specialist knowledge?

Is there anything else I should put?

I originally asked when and why it was withdrawn, if Transport Focus was consulted and if so, what was their response, etc.

For those who think I'm just an 'NRG-watcher', this is of particular salience right now, given that the rail replacement buses haven't been put into the system and the journey planner TVMs at Selby won't sell tickets to Doncaster, or at least wouldn't as of a couple of days ago. Just how is one meant to travel to Doncaster when the ticket office is closed?
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

TUC

Established Member
Joined
11 Nov 2010
Messages
5,088
the journey planner TVMs at Selby won't sell tickets to Doncaster, or at least wouldn't as of a couple of days ago. Just how is one meant to travel to Doncaster when the ticket office is closed?
If the tickets are genuinely not available at the TVM then surely it is legitimate to buy them on the train (or online)?
 

Haywain

Veteran Member
Joined
3 Feb 2013
Messages
24,781
Wouldn't you be wanting the tickets routed 'not via Leeds or York' though, which are priced by Northern, and dependent on Northern providing the replacement bus times to the timetable database?
 

mikeg

Established Member
Joined
20 Apr 2010
Messages
2,071
Location
Selby
Wouldn't you be wanting the tickets routed 'not via Leeds or York' though, which are priced by Northern, and dependent on Northern providing the replacement bus times to the timetable database?


Yes. Although travelling via Leeds would offer more frequency. I suspect a lot of people would just want a way to get to Doncaster
 

Haywain

Veteran Member
Joined
3 Feb 2013
Messages
24,781
Yes. Although travelling via Leeds would offer more frequency. I suspect a lot of people would just want a way to get to Doncaster
Right, my point being that the 'Any Permitted' fare is significantly higher and therefore wouldn't help much anyway. So contacting Northern would seem more appropriate.
 

mikeg

Established Member
Joined
20 Apr 2010
Messages
2,071
Location
Selby
Yes. I'll contact both then. But northern don't operate the majority of the service. That'd be Hull Trains. And TPE operate the ticket office. Either way passengers should still have the ability to go via Leeds, especially given that they're paying a premium.
 

Haywain

Veteran Member
Joined
3 Feb 2013
Messages
24,781
Either way passengers should still have the ability to go via Leeds, especially given that they're paying a premium.
Off the top of my head, I don't believe they've had that option for a very long time, if ever. As things stand that does seem to make the 'Any Permitted' fares completely redundant.
 

TUC

Established Member
Joined
11 Nov 2010
Messages
5,088
So what way did people go before hull trains was a thing?
I was wondering something similar in terms of the direct Selby-Doncaster services. Did Northern's predecessors provide a direct service on a similar frequency prior to Hull Trains operating?
 

IanXC

Emeritus Moderator
Joined
18 Dec 2009
Messages
6,615
Off the top of my head, I don't believe they've had that option for a very long time, if ever. As things stand that does seem to make the 'Any Permitted' fares completely redundant.

I seem to recall the "Not via Leeds or York" was once a "Direct", at which point the "Any Permitted" at least gave the benefit of allowing via Gilberdyke or Brough, but since "Not via Leeds or York" opens that option up the Any Permitted does seem rather redundant.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top