Wyrleybart
Established Member
Woncer if anyone on here is interested in the Leyland PD2s and PD3s - in particular the ones with the streamline noses. I am interested in creating a OO scale model of two of the Harpers of Heath Hayes fleet and trying to understand them. As I understand it Harper Brothers of Heath Hayes acquired six front engined "halfcab" Leyland buses in the early 1960s - three PDs and three PD3s.
According to Buslists o nthe web these vehicles were
SBF233 was delivered in January 1962, as PD2/28 with a Northern Counties body
HBA679D abd HBA680D were Leyland PD2A 27s fitted with Metro Cammel bodies
NRF349F was a Leyland PD3A/5 fitted with a Northern Counties body
LRF992F and LRF993F were PD3A/1 fitted with Northern Counties bodies.
From what I understand, apart from SBF233 these were described as "St Helens" fronts, which I suspect were moulded fibreglass. All six of these vehicles were qbsorbed into the Midland Red fleet when the Harper Brother sold the company. SBF233 was chopped into a recovery vehicle.
The first question I have concerns the suffix "A", which I understand from one internet source indicated the passenger door was at the front or rear. SBF233 had a rear door formed of four folding leaves. HBF679D and HBF680D also had a rear folding door. The other three Leylands all had the same folding rear door. These vehicles all seemed to have am oversized cab windscreen which broke up the cream or white band around the bus.
According to Buslists o nthe web these vehicles were
SBF233 was delivered in January 1962, as PD2/28 with a Northern Counties body
HBA679D abd HBA680D were Leyland PD2A 27s fitted with Metro Cammel bodies
NRF349F was a Leyland PD3A/5 fitted with a Northern Counties body
LRF992F and LRF993F were PD3A/1 fitted with Northern Counties bodies.
From what I understand, apart from SBF233 these were described as "St Helens" fronts, which I suspect were moulded fibreglass. All six of these vehicles were qbsorbed into the Midland Red fleet when the Harper Brother sold the company. SBF233 was chopped into a recovery vehicle.
The first question I have concerns the suffix "A", which I understand from one internet source indicated the passenger door was at the front or rear. SBF233 had a rear door formed of four folding leaves. HBF679D and HBF680D also had a rear folding door. The other three Leylands all had the same folding rear door. These vehicles all seemed to have am oversized cab windscreen which broke up the cream or white band around the bus.
