Recently travelled on an IC train (from AMS to Berlin) with a paper ticket for two from Hilversum. On arrival early for the train, the 11.22, we noted that the outside coffee shop had no toilets and were advised to use those at the station. The station is barrier'd. We went to the barrier and noted no staff on duty anywhere - this at 11 am. So -to the booking office where the booking clerk explained that the QR code on our (self printed) ticket would operate the barrier. I explained that there were two of us, as shewn on the ticket. She peered at our ticket and then rustled up a station pass paper one from her drawer. The one and only toilet on the station on platform 1 was 'defekt'. We held on until boarding, which was not so well organised, as they had reversed the order of the coaches; I assume the train had been diverted on the way in and had entered AMS Centraal from the West and the 'reisplan' on the seats was for the previous evenings incoming train. I helped some bemused American pax, as the announcement was only in Dutch, so the platform consist guide was useless. Once on the train, we were told that the buffet could only serve coffee as they had an electricity supply problem.* I also noted that the air conditioning was not working. When we reached Bad Bentheim after two suffocating hours, the German loco coupled up and then suddenly the air conditioning worked and the buffet was operational once more. I assume it had been our Dutch engine that had the problem.
* I am interested why the buffet could still serve coffee when the other hotel services, for hot meals and a/c were down -anyone any ideas? I wondered if the coffee machine had a dynamo-run supply on the bistro car.
* I am interested why the buffet could still serve coffee when the other hotel services, for hot meals and a/c were down -anyone any ideas? I wondered if the coffee machine had a dynamo-run supply on the bistro car.
Last edited:
