• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Hikers of RailUK Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.

jonathan01n

Member
Joined
29 Apr 2017
Messages
112
Location
Lincoln
How many here on this forum are hikers? I mean someone who hikes quite often and like to go to different hills around the UK :idea:
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Darandio

Established Member
Joined
24 Feb 2007
Messages
11,143
Location
Redcar
Not so much nowadays, used to do it quite often as a kid when people told me to take one.
 

shredder1

Established Member
Joined
23 Nov 2016
Messages
3,138
Location
North Manchester
Not as much as I use to do, I`ve done the usual Penyghent, Whernside, Cross Fell, Ingleborough, Scafell, Snowdon et al Pennine Way, I do tend to walk a lot of disused railway lines though and sometimes take a rucksack one man tend and just wild camp on the old trackbed if I cant find a pub to stay in or I`m in the middle of nowhere.
 

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Joined
12 Oct 2010
Messages
32,937
Location
Fenny Stratford
Not so much hikers but we do take walks from our camper van - last one was up inglebrough -but nothing vastly challenging
 

Merseysider

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Joined
22 Jan 2014
Messages
5,627
Location
Birmingham
Used to go every few months to Wales, before I started uni, and once to Norway (hiked up Ulriken in Bergen and Kongsberg was absolutely beautiful). Off to Hexham next weekend for some walks along Hadrian's Wall and I'm hoping to get over to Snowdonia this summer too.

Pondering a trip to Ben Nevis but haven't got round to properly planning it yet.
 

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
Joined
16 May 2010
Messages
12,856
I try to do as much long-distance walking as I can, though I tend to stick to trails and similar. Traditional Lake District sort of hiking does nothing for me at all.
 

peri

Member
Joined
23 Dec 2016
Messages
162
I used to walk between stations i.e: Horton to Ribblehead, Garsdale to Kirkby Stephen, Langwathby to Appleby, Garsdale to Ribblehead, Skipton to Settle, Horton to Settle, Skipton to Horton, Edale to Hope/Bamford, Nafferton to Arram, Goxhill to Barton, Bridlington to Filey, Scarborough to Filey. Either I ran out of money or trains got more expensive.
 

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Joined
6 Jun 2005
Messages
78,419
Location
Yorkshire
I don't do hiking but I do like to do some walks, particularly along disused railway lines (also canals etc). I also like to walk between stations and explore new places.
 

RichmondCommu

Established Member
Joined
23 Feb 2010
Messages
6,906
Location
Richmond, London
My wife and I are keen fell walkers and also enjoy summer holidays in the Alps / Pyrenees. Much more of this to continue when we retire in two and a half years time!
 

PaulLothian

Member
Joined
27 Sep 2010
Messages
695
Location
Linlithgow
We (my wife and I) were late starters to serious hillwalking, only doing our first Munro in our mid-50s. We concentrate on the hills which we reckon are most interesting, for rare animals (lots of mountain hares on Ben Chonzie), unusual birds (ptarmigan on the path on Ben Klibreck), or rare alpine plants (on An Teallach last week). Since we are never going to collect all the Munroes, we have to be selective. We do love the Lakeland fells as well!
 

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Joined
6 Jun 2005
Messages
78,419
Location
Yorkshire
If anyone is interested in walking (or cycling) along disused railway lines, you may be interested in some of the trips we have planned (feel free to contact me if you require further information).

I rarely get round to taking and posting photos, but here are two I did last year:

 

ld0595

Member
Joined
1 Aug 2014
Messages
672
Location
Glasgow
I haven't done anywhere near as many hikes as I've wanted to. Sadly with too many uni commitments during the term time mean that I haven't gotten out as much as I would like, but I've done a few good ones. Ben MacDui was by far one of my favourites and far more rewarding than Ben Nevis.
 

xc170

Member
Joined
9 Feb 2008
Messages
815
Done several hikes around the Peak District, Snowdon, Scarborough - Bridlington, Mawddach Trail...

Edit, oops, just noticed this thread is coming up to a year old. :D
 

PeterY

Established Member
Joined
2 Apr 2013
Messages
1,363
I'm not really a hiker, as such. I enjoyed the forum walk Thame to Princes Risborough but the Leighton Buzzard to Dunstable was cancelled due to wet weather, last year.

I'm more of bike rider and enjoy riding the disused lines and canals around the Hertfordshire area.
 

Essan

Member
Joined
22 Feb 2017
Messages
616
Location
Evesham / Lochailort
Most of my train journeys are in order to get to the hills for a wee walk. Once got off at Glenfinnan and ended up 3 months and 1,000 miles later in Lairg ..... Mostly I don't walk quite so far these days :D
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top