• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Heritage Railway to visit in Norfolk or Suffolk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Titfield

Established Member
Joined
26 Jun 2013
Messages
3,249
Any guidance on the "best" Heritage railway to visit in Norfolk or Suffolk?

Friends are staying in Ipswich.

Prefer steam to diesel. Like non rail related attractions to visit as well.

Not hard core steam railway enthusiasts.

Thanks In Advance.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

transportphoto

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
Quizmaster
Joined
21 Jan 2010
Messages
5,579
I have a slight bias to the North Norfolk Railway in the way that I spend half of my life there volunteering, but I have to recommend it. Fantastic mix of steam and diesel, operating every day until November! It's a journey from Ipswich, I'll give you that, but I believe we're one of few to operate a fairly intense steam and diesel service most days of the year. (North Norfolk Railway)

Alternatively, you have a Railway Museum with a short piece of track, and one of our locos, in Mid-Suffolk near Stowmarket... but I wouldn't really class it as a day out. (Mid-Suffolk Light Railway)

Other railways include the Mid-Norfolk, the East Anglian Railway Museum just inside Essex at Chappel and Wakes Colne, the Colne Valley Railway, the Wells and Walsingham Light Railway and the Bure Valley Railway.
 
Last edited:

Titfield

Established Member
Joined
26 Jun 2013
Messages
3,249
Thanks

I went to the NNR for the Titfield Thunderbolt recreation event and it was brilliant! (You may have guessed it is my favourite film!!).

I wanted to give my friends guidance they could choose a railway to visit from.

Thanks again.
 

transportphoto

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
Quizmaster
Joined
21 Jan 2010
Messages
5,579
I've only been to the Mid-Suffolk and Bure Valley, other than the NNR, as a visitor in recent times. What I love about the Middy is that they don't try to be anything they're not, they are a museum with a short piece of track... so if you're after a train ride, I would advise against visiting on this occasion.

The Bure Valley is a lovely little (if you'd pardon the pun) railway operating between Aylsham and Wroxham (adjacent to Hoveton and Wroxham ([stn]HXM[/stn]) station)... lovely day out if you can pardon a slight back ache if you stay on the trains all day!

TP
 

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Joined
6 Aug 2009
Messages
44,434
Location
Yorks
Another vote for the North Norfolk Railway - beautiful scenery of the coast and Sheringham is a very nice resort to have some chips (or a curry).

Also like the Mid Norfolk Railway as it has a CIG (though that might not appeal to a steam person !). Went there on a railtour so didn't really have time to explore Dereham unfortunately.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top