• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Heritage Railway Station with closure signs / decline

Status
Not open for further replies.

McMetro

Member
Joined
18 Apr 2020
Messages
20
Location
Bristol
Hi,
I was wondering if anyone could name any heritage railways with stations preserved to a closure period, with associated closure posters and decline.
Or is this yet to be done at a heritage railway..?

Most heritage stations obviously represent a period in its heyday such as early BR days or Grouping for example.

Thank you
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Joined
15 Apr 2016
Messages
18,949
Location
Devon
Hi,
I was wondering if anyone could name any heritage railways with stations preserved to a closure period, with associated closure posters and decline.
Or is this yet to be done at a heritage railway..?

Most heritage stations obviously represent a period in its heyday such as early BR days or Grouping for example.

Thank you

I have definitely seen a couple of those at a preserved railway. Possibly Bodmin but I’m not sure?
 

IWSR Steve

Member
Joined
15 Dec 2020
Messages
5
Location
Isle of Wight
Smallbrook Junction on the isle of Wight Steam Railway is portrayed in British Railway (SR) era complete with closure posters.
 

D6968

Member
Joined
30 Sep 2021
Messages
433
May have seen something similar at Thuxton the Mid Norfolk?
There’s a very well known one being seen posted at ‘Titfield’
 

Gloster

Veteran Member
Joined
4 Sep 2020
Messages
13,042
Location
Up the creek
Given the rising price of coal and other problems, including the increasing average age of active volunteers, could we see closure notices for real at some preserved lines?
 

D6968

Member
Joined
30 Sep 2021
Messages
433
Given the rising price of coal and other problems, including the increasing average age of active volunteers, could we see closure notices for real at some preserved lines?
Let’s not bother getting out of bed in the morning shall we?
 

steamybrian

Established Member
Joined
26 Nov 2010
Messages
2,003
Location
Kent
There are a number of stations which were opened by Heritage Railways then subsequently closed. The Bluebell Railway has four- Bluebell Halt, Holywell Waterworks, Freshfield and Ketches Farm Halt. The first three have been demolished without trace but the last time I travelled on the line the derelict platform for Ketches Farm Halt was still in situ.
Elsewhere in the country there are others such as Aviemore Riverside was another long abandoned station.
Eardington on the Severn Valley Railway was abandoned for years but I believe has now been restored..?
 

peteb

Established Member
Joined
30 Mar 2011
Messages
1,699
There are a number of stations which were opened by Heritage Railways then subsequently closed. The Bluebell Railway has four- Bluebell Halt, Holywell Waterworks, Freshfield and Ketches Farm Halt. The first three have been demolished without trace but the last time I travelled on the line the derelict platform for Ketches Farm Halt was still in situ.
Elsewhere in the country there are others such as Aviemore Riverside was another long abandoned station.
Eardington on the Severn Valley Railway was abandoned for years but I believe has now been restored..?
Eardington on the SVR is very nicely restored but the regular advertised trains don't stop there.
 

507020

Established Member
Joined
23 May 2021
Messages
1,983
Location
Southport
The museum at Okehampton displayed the closure poster when it was part of the Dartmoor Railway and still does now it has reopened
 

DavyCrocket

Member
Joined
27 Oct 2006
Messages
670
There are a number of stations which were opened by Heritage Railways then subsequently closed. The Bluebell Railway has four- Bluebell Halt, Holywell Waterworks, Freshfield and Ketches Farm Halt. The first three have been demolished without trace but the last time I travelled on the line the derelict platform for Ketches Farm Halt was still in situ.
Elsewhere in the country there are others such as Aviemore Riverside was another long abandoned station.
Eardington on the Severn Valley Railway was abandoned for years but I believe has now been restored..?
Ketches Halt has now gone, this was only in recent years, though had not been used for over 20 years
 
Joined
11 Mar 2022
Messages
64
Eardington on the SVR is very nicely restored but the regular advertised trains don't stop there.

It is. It last appeared in the timetable as a request stop in 1982. For information, it will again be open to visit on 3rd April 2022 at the SVR's Open House weekend

There’ll be a whole host of things to see, do, discover and explore during our Open House Weekend across the full length of the line including:

  • Vintage bus services to Eardington Halt to see the station building and the famous lamp room (Sunday only)

I think its last passenger trains were in 2015 and 2016 when the 82045 Steam Locomotive Trust ran a special fundraising train, the Eardington Explorer. This ran between Bridgnorth and Hampton Loade, calling specially at Eardington.

If you're interested, there's more on the station on the SVR Wiki.
 

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
Joined
31 Jul 2010
Messages
4,001
I think I saw 1960s closure notices at Alton Station on the Mid Hants / Watercress Line.
 

Flying Phil

Established Member
Joined
18 Apr 2016
Messages
2,086
Here is the Great Central2013-01-17_25 Closure Notice.JPG closure notice (May 1969), with some interesting comments....
 

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Joined
18 Dec 2012
Messages
19,372
Location
Yorkshire
Thought there was a closure notice pinned up at Dunster (WSR) but it's over a decade since I was there so I could be mis-remembering.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top