• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Henley-on-Thames - Newport (S.Wales)

Status
Not open for further replies.

autotank

Member
Joined
6 May 2010
Messages
116
Location
Oxfordshire
Hello,

I need to go to Newport tomorrow morning on the 0636 coming back sometime in the afternoon (not sure exactly when). I'm I right in thinking the following is the best split?

Henley - Didcot Anytime Day Return £10.30
Didcot - Swindon Anytime Day Single £19
Swindon - Newport Anytime Return £23.7
Swindon - Didcot Off-Peak Day Single £9.30

Total £62.3

This is a massive saving off the £149 HOT-NWP Anytime Return, but can anyone do better?

Thanks in advance!
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

animationmilo

Member
Joined
29 Mar 2011
Messages
870
I've looked and I cant find any better than that

I take you need to be there before 10am?
 
Last edited:

autotank

Member
Joined
6 May 2010
Messages
116
Location
Oxfordshire
Thanks,

Yes I have to be there before 1000. I'm pretty satisfied with the level of saving on this one - add in 1% cash back on my CC and a further 1% off in Redspottedhanky loyalty points brings the cost down by a further £1.24!
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Does anyone know if a Swindon - Newport Anytime Return is valid via Gloucester?
 

LexyBoy

Established Member
Joined
23 Jan 2009
Messages
4,478
Location
North of the rivers
Does anyone know if a Swindon - Newport Anytime Return is valid via Gloucester?

Yes, it is.

You can save a bit more - and not need to stop at Swindon (edit: I meant Didcot of course!) - with:

Henley-Reading Anytime Day Return £5.50
Cholsey-Swindon Anytime Single £19.00
Swindon - Newport Anytime Return £23.70
Swindon-Cholsey Super Off Peak Single £8.50
Total £56.70

There is an easement (700137) allowing travel via Reading from Cholsey on journeys via Didcot Parkway (Christ knows why, but it's there). It might be advisable to take a printout from NRE showing a Cholsey-Swindon itinerary with your ticket type.
 
Last edited:

Flamingo

Established Member
Joined
26 Apr 2010
Messages
6,806
As I have said before, the train must stop at Didcot for that mix to be valid.

If you are going via GCR it is one hell of a detour!
 

Flamingo

Established Member
Joined
26 Apr 2010
Messages
6,806
Sorry, I was referring to the initial post, not lexyboys. I'm not sure about lexyboys, as I'm not aware of the easement (although I have no cause to query it). I would imagine that another ticket from Rdg - Henley would then be needed, though.
 

bnm

Established Member
Joined
12 Oct 2009
Messages
4,992
Purely academic now but in an idle moment I looked to see if I could reduce the cost of this journey still further.

Henley - Reading Anytime Day Return £5.50
Cholsey - Swindon Anytime Day Single £19.00
Swindon - Caldicot Anytime Return £20.50
Swindon - Cholsey Super Off Peak Single £8.50

Total £53.50

Swindon - Caldicot is allowed via Newport as there is an easement: 13 Journeys from Lydney, Chepstow and Caldicot to Swindon, Didcot, Reading and beyond may go via Newport. This easement applies in both directions.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top