• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Hemel Hempstead wins unwanted award.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Johnuk123

Established Member
Joined
19 Mar 2012
Messages
2,800
Britain has been voting for the ugliest towns in the UK. The competition for the ugliest town in the country has been tough, as 'new towns' vied with those suffering radical 1960s makeovers, and those being rebuilt largely out of concrete after the war.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/10240434/And-the-ugliest-town-is...-Hemel-Hempstead.html


Hemel Hempstead has been voted the ugliest town in Britain according to the C**p Towns Returns website.

I don't know the place that well but I would certainly endorse 2nd and 3rd places Luton and Slough both places few people would choose to live if they had a choice.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

CarltonA

Member
Joined
22 Apr 2012
Messages
878
Location
Thames Valley
Hatfield and Harlow come to mind in the same general area. Cumbernauld is meant to be quite bad though I have not been.
 

W-on-Sea

Established Member
Joined
18 Dec 2009
Messages
1,450
On the other list, Chipping Norton is certainly NOT dull! Maidenhead, on the other hand, may well be...
 

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Joined
4 Feb 2010
Messages
24,470
So the tenth place has 48 votes (out of 3000 people polled). I wonder how many votes the 100th place gets. :roll:
 

Oswyntail

Established Member
Joined
23 May 2009
Messages
4,183
Location
Yorkshire
Hemel is not that bad - any new town is equally drear (Skem, Washington. MK).
What should be given a similar treatment is so-called "regenerated" towns, where anything of merit has been stripped out and replaced with the odd mall, a stadium, a plaza and nothing else. I would nominate Leeds here, which, unless you are a 15 year old girl, is much worse than Hemel.
 

Searle

Established Member
Joined
4 May 2012
Messages
1,580
Location
Ladbroke Grove
Any chance you could give us a summary of what this says - I can't access it at work due to the site being classified as "Tasteless"...

"5 Easy Ways to Spot a B.S. News Story on the Internet"

"#2. It's a Poll Disguised as a News Story"

that's pretty much it :D

As we've started a town bashing thread, I've never found Hatfield or Hemel that bad really. However Harlow and Luton are some dodgy places from around here!
 

causton

Established Member
Joined
4 Aug 2010
Messages
5,504
Location
Somewhere between WY372 and MV7
Definitely, I agree with Searle above. Living in Hatfield I may be biased but I went to Stevenage, Hitchin and Luton last week. Hitchin was the only one that was bearable! Harlow... let's not even go there. And by that I mean don't go there ;)
 

Johnuk123

Established Member
Joined
19 Mar 2012
Messages
2,800
Luton certainly seems to be getting a bashing, and quite deserved too.
 

asylumxl

Established Member
Joined
12 Feb 2009
Messages
4,260
Location
Hiding in your shadow
Definitely, I agree with Searle above. Living in Hatfield I may be biased but I went to Stevenage, Hitchin and Luton last week. Hitchin was the only one that was bearable! Harlow... let's not even go there. And by that I mean don't go there ;)

Try going for a night out in Hitchin. or hell, try spending more than a few hours there ;).
 

HST Power

Established Member
Joined
25 Nov 2010
Messages
3,704
I do love a bit of town bashing!

I live not too far from Hitchin and I can tell you now it is paradise in comparison to Stevenage!
 

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
Joined
16 May 2010
Messages
12,856
I though Leamington Spa was quite a nice town when I visited. Tamworth should be on that list though, not even Satan himself would be evil enough to make people live there. Awful town.
 

tsr

Established Member
Joined
15 Nov 2011
Messages
7,400
Location
Between the parallel lines
It's a pity vast swathes of South London couldn't be included, especially as some of them are (for some purposes) deemed to be in Surrey. Sutton is dull and nasty at times (I've worked there and have friends there); Croydon is abysmal in many ways (sadly I have been there many times too often); Kingston is almost unnavigable to normal humans and not of any special interest to anyone (again - personal experience). Then you have various towns in the South-East which really should try harder. Hastings, Edenbridge, Crawley, Redhill and many of the unmentioned (and usually unmentionable) parts of the Blackwater Valley all spring to mind.
 

HST Power

Established Member
Joined
25 Nov 2010
Messages
3,704
I think by way of London boroughs Slough wins it for me. Never actually been there but they always seem to be there on Brit Cops/Police Camera Action etc. Says it all really. ;)
 

gswindale

Member
Joined
1 Jun 2010
Messages
1,030
I think by way of London boroughs Slough wins it for me. Never actually been there but they always seem to be there on Brit Cops/Police Camera Action etc. Says it all really. ;)

It isn't a London borough though. It is a unitary authority in Berkshire.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top