• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Help with 'intention to court' letter - GTR

Status
Not open for further replies.

simpletimes

New Member
Joined
13 Jun 2015
Messages
3
Hey Guys,

Any help with this would be great.

I received a letter today with the following:

On Thursday 21st May 2015 at 10:42 your details were taken by a Revenue Protection Inspector en route near Preston Park Station, on board the 09:42 from London Bridge Station to Brighton Station.

Offence:
- failing to hand over a rail ticket for inspection

I've been asked to 'tell us what happened'


On the day I was travelling from Hassocks to Preston Park. My girlfriend had just arrived from spending a few months apart, and I was travelling with suitcases and my head was not in the right place. I got on the train without a ticket, not realising. I realised my mistake and saw a guy who I thought was an inspector and asked for a ticket, but he said I couldn't buy one. He took my details over the short journey and asked me some questions. He was trying to get me to answer whether I was intending to buy a ticket or not, and I said that I wasn't trying to avoid paying, that it was a mistake. He kept asking the question a few times, but I just said that wasn't my intention. I gave all my details correctly. I thought I'd get a penalty fare but I got this letter instead.

Im not too sure what to do, apart from say the above. Im also not sure whether to mention I have some mental health difficulties that make stressful times difficult. Although Im not sure how this would work explaining in court.

I'm hopeful to pay the fare and fine, but any help is much appreciated.

Thanks guys
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

reb0118

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Joined
28 Jan 2010
Messages
3,582
Location
Bo'ness, West Lothian
Simply put if there are facilities to purchase a ticket prior to travel then you must use them otherwise you may end up, depending on circumstances, being prosecuted.

You can, however, in certain cases, mitigate against that possibility. It looks like the TOC are considering reporting you for prosecution but are giving you a chance to state your case to them prior to this action.

Respond truthfully, timeously, but above all concisely to any correspondence received. There is no point in waffle about health issues as they've read it all before. Simply put if you're fit enough to travel you're fit enough to buy a ticket. Express remorse with regard to your actions and the additional work that you have put the TOC to in pursuing this matter, explain that you have learnt your lesson and that you will always in the future, where facilities exist, purchase a ticket prior to travel. Ask if you can settle this matter without going to court by offering to pay the fare due plus a sum to compensate the TOC for the time spent in investigating this matter.

Of course if you feel that you were justified in your actions then you can always attend court and plead your case - I do not suggest this line. Make strenuous efforts to get this sorted prior to any court case.


Addendum: Question 1) What facilities for purchasing tickets are available at your origin & destination, and 2) do penalty fares exist for this journey? If so, was a penalty fare offered, and if so, was it refused?
 

najaB

Veteran Member
Joined
28 Aug 2011
Messages
33,732
Location
Scotland
I agree with almost your entire post, as it is a requirement to purchase a ticket before travel if there are facilities to do so. The only part I don't totally agree with is:
There is no point in waffle about health issues as they've read it all before.
If the OP has genuine, documented mental health issues that could go some way to explain his actions then there is no harm in mentioning the fact.
 

simpletimes

New Member
Joined
13 Jun 2015
Messages
3
Thanks guys

There was a machine at both stations, but I hadn't reached my destination at the time so wasn't able to buy a ticket.

I wasn't offered a penalty fare at the time.

I'd rather not mention my mental health issues, so I may leave it out.

I think I'll write a letter with the above advice.
 

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Joined
4 Feb 2010
Messages
24,469
There was a machine at both stations, but I hadn't reached my destination at the time so wasn't able to buy a ticket.

Can you clarify what you mean by that?

Do you mean by "both stations" Hassocks and Preston Park? What was your destination? Where were you not able to buy a ticket?
 

tony6499

Member
Joined
27 Sep 2012
Messages
914
Hassocks/Other stations to Preston Park is a regular that RPI's look out for as it is regularly used to avoid the gateline at Brighton hence the repeated question were you trying to avoid buying a ticket.
 

gray1404

Established Member
Joined
3 Mar 2014
Messages
7,656
Location
Merseyside
I would agree that if you have genuine and documented mental health issues then it is worth mentioning, as they may decide to take this into account. I simple letter explaining what happened (as above) and offering to pay for your and their costs thus far. From what you have said, even though I ticket should have been purchased before boarding (if possible) it does not appear that you intended on avoiding paying your fare because once you got on the train and realised your mistake you were the one who went up to the Inspector and offered to pay your fare. Did you happen to buy a ticket when you got off the train, so in effect, have paid your fare already?

What is a concern is that you say you were asking several times if you were intending on buying a ticket or not. It sounds like you answered this question yet he kept asking you. Plus, from what you said, it sounds like you went up to him and asking to buy a ticket anyway. As you say you have mental heath issues I could imagine this to be quite distressing being asked the same question like that.
 

simpletimes

New Member
Joined
13 Jun 2015
Messages
3
Thanks for your help guys.

I wrote the letter yesterday saying I was sorry for my mistake and offered to pay the fare plus compensation.

I'll let you know how it turns out.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top