• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Help with first north trainee driver 1st stage assessment for first group cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.

rob12

Member
Joined
21 Aug 2012
Messages
141
Hello, Any info you boys/girls can give me would be really appreciated
I have been reading this site on and off for months now and there seems to be a lot of varying opinions on what the driver assessment stages consist of,

I have been shortlisted for trainee driver 1st stage assessment next wednesday in Manchester for first group north, Has anybody else been on the same assessment and if so could you give me any info as to what to expect, all the email i received says is '' you will be attending first stage problem solving assessment that could last up to 2 hours'' and that's it??

I have read on here that some guys seem to receive revision packages through the post before they attend there assessments, Do first group do this and if not how can i give my self the possible chance? I am picking up a book tomorrow which has received some good press other than that i don't really know how else to prepare, I have been practicing on the burden download.

Also some guys on here say that certain companies have dropped the mechanical comprehension test do you know if this is true of First Group Thanks very much
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Eduardo

Member
Joined
7 Jun 2011
Messages
83
Hi

I'm glad you posted this thread as I was intending to make the same request.

I've got my assessment a week today in Manchester.

First time I've had one and not quite sure what to expect apart from what the email stated - problem solving etc.

Let's see what comes back from the good people out there. :D

Edd
 

SkinnyDave

Established Member
Joined
11 Mar 2012
Messages
1,242
Guys,

I'm still awaiting shortlisting at the moment but have sat Doncaster assessments before.
If you get how 2 become book that will help and I would imagine if it's not mech test it will be fault finding test.
I'd be surprised if concentration test wasn't in first one too.

Ive said in another post Im surprised they havnt sent out practice material to you
 

Eduardo

Member
Joined
7 Jun 2011
Messages
83
Hi SD

I have that book. I purchased it some time ago and I certainly intend to read it again this week.

I purposely left the tests inside the book until I reached an assessment phase.

Now that assessment is a week away I'll be doing as much as I can.

I also have downloaded the SCAAT test tool.

Actually really looking forward to the assessment day. :smile:
 

SkinnyDave

Established Member
Joined
11 Mar 2012
Messages
1,242
Hi SD

I have that book. I purchased it some time ago and I certainly intend to read it again this week.

I purposely left the tests inside the book until I reached an assessment phase.

Now that assessment is a week away I'll be doing as much as I can.

I also have downloaded the SCAAT test tool.

Actually really looking forward to the assessment day. :smile:

Best of luck! Let us know how you get on
 

Lanc688

Member
Joined
20 May 2012
Messages
227
Location
Lincolnshire
Guys,

I'm still awaiting shortlisting at the moment but have sat Doncaster assessments before.
If you get how 2 become book that will help and I would imagine if it's not mech test it will be fault finding test.
I'd be surprised if concentration test wasn't in first one too.

Ive said in another post Im surprised they havnt sent out practice material to you

Dave...did you pass the Donny assessment or will you be sitting all the tests again ? U may well have told me this before, but just in from work and far too impatient to trawl back throuh posts.

lanc
 

rob12

Member
Joined
21 Aug 2012
Messages
141
Lanc688 Hey mate, have u got the nod as well? if so is it your first time, and what are you doing to practise cheers buddy
 

Lanc688

Member
Joined
20 May 2012
Messages
227
Location
Lincolnshire
Lanc688 Hey mate, have u got the nod as well? if so is it your first time, and what are you doing to practise cheers buddy

Still awaiting shortlisting....testing my patience a little I have to admit.

Well done for getting this far tho and good luck.

Just practice all you can and keep your mind sharp...ie stay off the sherbets ! LOL

Lanc
 

rob12

Member
Joined
21 Aug 2012
Messages
141
Still awaiting shortlisting....testing my patience a little I have to admit.

Well done for getting this far tho and good luck.

Just practice all you can and keep your mind sharp...ie stay off the sherbets ! LOL

Lanc

What do you do for a living if u dont mind me asking? I have had a few diffrent businesses here and abroad transport and retail business
 

Lanc688

Member
Joined
20 May 2012
Messages
227
Location
Lincolnshire
Cabin crew? :D

Eduardo,

No, but love the happy face. If you were expecting a Scarlett Johansen lookalike in a Virgin Airways uniform, I fear that you will be sorely disappointed with both gender and appearance. Although I can make an awesome Chicken and Beef sandwich (no disrespect intended to cabin crew, many of whom are the salt of the earth....just the usual in -flight banter thats all)

A little more diverse....but PM coming to you with more. I think our situations are a little closer !

Again...good luck to all.

Lanc
 
Last edited:

aletank

New Member
Joined
23 Aug 2012
Messages
1
Location
Liverpool,UK
When did you get your reply ?
How much notice have you have had ?
How did they contact you ?

I'm away on Saturday for 2 weeks, I really don't want to miss my reply/chance because I'm away on holiday :cry:

Good luck ;)
 

Muz

New Member
Joined
23 Aug 2012
Messages
3
Location
Manchester
Hi everyone,
I've got my assesment next week in Manchester , any help as to what the problem tests will involve? I'd be gratefull for any help.
Cheers Muz.:D
 

evoice

Member
Joined
19 Jun 2012
Messages
53
Look amazon mate with nxt day delivery. Better to lose £6 to gain something.
 

rob12

Member
Joined
21 Aug 2012
Messages
141
Hi had to order it from water stones next day delivery, but had to drive 35 miles to pick it up as i knew it's a bank holiday next week, but to be honest the sample questions in the book are easy i have found much harder ones on line, now some of those are tough, real tough, especially if you have not had to sit a test for a long time i just hope that my general logic and reasonable intelligence will get me through!!!!!!!!!!!! lol I don't think there is much you can do if you dont have the basic mechanical principles and knowladge in the first place then it's going to be hard, but thats the whole point
 

henryedward61

Member
Joined
31 Jul 2012
Messages
12
With regard the Mechanical test, you simply have to remain calm during, as the pass mark is very generous (less than half if the info I was fed was correct).

I was inclined to panic once I started stumbling on a few, but having taken a breath and composed myself it is very much common sense, and does not require an engineering degree, or a library of revision books to pass. Make sure you complete it, and don't dwell too long is all. The biggest mistake would be to not complete all the questions.

The Bourdon/Scaat test I practised hard on, and managed to hit the bottom of all five sheets. Practice, practice and practice some more.

There is no excuse -with all the internet help- to go in ill prepared to the assessment centre.

I sat the assessments for at the end of July, and have just signed my contract (subject to medical), starting in October as a trainee driver. From redundant production manager to train driver in six months, first time of asking, first application.

Have faith guy's it can be done. Good luck.:D
 

rob12

Member
Joined
21 Aug 2012
Messages
141
hi thanks for your post it was helpful, just one question was the bourdon test a mixture of dots and shapes or just all one and not the other, it's hard to decide as to which to spend more time on, Also could yoy please inform me if the mechanical test is simlar to say:
You have a balance bar with a weight of 5lbs on the end and the other end a weight you have figure out while the resting point is of unequal lenghts, That sort thing is what im excpecting thanks again buddy
 

henryedward61

Member
Joined
31 Jul 2012
Messages
12
I sat the Bourdon test, however I practised hard on both. It was five sheets of dots, circling the groupings of four, two minutes on each sheet, then instructed to move on until 10 mins were up and five sheets had been tackled.

The Mechanical test is as suggested on multiple websites; i.e. levers, cogs weights and general mechanical principle.

As far as I'm concerned if you have the aptitude to be a train driver (a position of responsibility requiring a healthy intellect) then this test should be a relative stroll (regardless of what books you may have crammed in beforehand). It is true that you will either be good at this or not; and if not, then unfortunately (as far as the TOC's are concerned) you are simply not suited to the role.

Again to everyone best of luck, and hopefully I will not come a cropper at the medical (final hurdle) later in the month. Even having put pen to paper I will not be able to breathe a relieved sigh until day one of training has been and gone without hiccup.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Important to note that as far as I am aware the mechanical part of the assessment is simply pass or fail (not graded). The Bourdon, dials, reaction test are graded more specifically.

So long as you scrape a pass on the mechanical test, you will achieve the same grade as some aspiring R. Stephenson sat next to you (even if he scored perfect marks), and it will not influence pecking order should you and he make the shortlist for positions at a depot.
 

Sunday_mornin

Member
Joined
8 Jun 2012
Messages
254
Location
Wigan
Congratulations Henry, shows it can be done if you have the right qualities and remain calm. Out of interest which TOC have you been offered employment?

Also best of luck with your medical, I'm sure it will be fine.

Ian
 

rob12

Member
Joined
21 Aug 2012
Messages
141
Much appreciated thanks a lot, what you have said is true you either have it or you don't

And i truly wish you luck with the medical, times are tough for me at the moment too had close my business after 15yrs of graft and i was made redundant as well, so this could be our life line, Here's hoping and good luck my friend
 

Eduardo

Member
Joined
7 Jun 2011
Messages
83
Thanks for the feedback Henry. Very useful comments. ;)

I've got a few more days still to finalise the prep before the big day on Wed.

Been going at it hammer and tongue with the reading and studying.

I actually enjoy looking at technical puzzles and things of a mechanical nature. :D

Just trying to get myself down to the bottom of the page with the SCAAT stuff.

No where near at the minute. Although I am getting faster.

Those dots are almost hypnotic after so long.. :shock:

Best wishes
 

henryedward61

Member
Joined
31 Jul 2012
Messages
12
Much appreciated thanks a lot, what you have said is true you either have it or you don't

And i truly wish you luck with the medical, times are tough for me at the moment too had close my business after 15yrs of graft and i was made redundant as well, so this could be our life line, Here's hoping and good luck my friend

My Brother and I lost our business Dec 23rd last year, making 15 of us unemployed in the process. The business was bought and thankfully all but a few of our brilliant workforce were re-employed.

The business employed myself, my wife, my brother and his wife so the last nine months have been incredibly tough.

Here's hoping Christmas 2012 can be enjoyed like it should be, as last year's Turkey was even drier than usual.

Anybody, feel free to ask question's, I am willing to assist as best I can with anything form application through to medical where possible.
 

graycam25

Member
Joined
29 Aug 2010
Messages
61
hi all i have recently sat this exam 6 months ago with firstgroup..

there will be x2 days of testing...


for me the first day was at the macdonald hotel in manchester - where i sat the group bourdon test (concentration) , the mechanical comprehension test , the radio script test (memory) and the reading of the dials test.

2nd day was at db shenker in doncaster... a structured interview and a bells and buzzers test (reaction test)

i passed my first day and failed on my 2nd day... so have been shortlisted again this time.

inbox me for any details... i'll be glad to help


also - the practice documents will be sent out about 1-2 weeks before the tests so you will not go in blind.

:)
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
hi muz... few tests...

bourdon test - for me it was the group of 4 dots and have to circle each group of 4

radio transcript - a large radio extract is read out... you make notes during this... after its finished you get 2 mins... the notes are removed and then answer 15 questions on what you have heard (multiple choice)

fault finding test - various boxes (ie - train dashboard) lighting / heat / pressure etc...
you will have to look through various boxes to determine the fault and the fault code

dials test - sets of 3 dials ( 30 examples approx) have to determine which you would check in which order depending on the readings of the dials.

hope this helps mate
 

Muz

New Member
Joined
23 Aug 2012
Messages
3
Location
Manchester
Thanks for all the advice guys, I've been practicing the SCAAT test last few days. My god I'd forgot how mind numbing they can be. Used to do them in the army so fingers crossed. Anyway best of luck to everyone and I'll let you all know how I go.
 

Muz

New Member
Joined
23 Aug 2012
Messages
3
Location
Manchester
Not sure I'm only at the first assesment level, I've not recieved a starter pack either?
 

Degsi00

Member
Joined
24 Aug 2012
Messages
64
fault finding test - various boxes (ie - train dashboard) lighting / heat / pressure etc...
you will have to look through various boxes to determine the fault and the fault code


My first post here and most say what an excellent website - very informative and great people!

Graycam25, would you mind expanding on the fault finding test because what you describe sounds different to anything others have commented on from my researching and practice materials as per the 'How2Become' book?

I've applied for a trainee driver position with FGW and currently awaiting shortlisting (first attempt at entering the Rail industry). Getting pretty good with the other tests: GB completing an average 75 lines with 3-4 omissions, but your fault finding test sounds new?

Any help will be well appreciated.

Thanks.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top