• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Help re 1238 Wigan NW-Liverpool L St.

Status
Not open for further replies.

p.d87

Member
Joined
18 May 2010
Messages
195
HI, can anyone help in letting me know what is booked to work the 1238 Wigan North Western to Liverpool Lime Street on Wed 22nd June, just that me and a few mates are heading down and will be getting this train. The only reason I ask is that Im hoping it will be a class 156 so we have tables to sit round and have a game of cards as I didnt realise it was a stopper and going to take a while.

Any help appreciated.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ajb

Member
Joined
19 Jun 2011
Messages
7
Unfortunatley I don't think anyone can say for certain what train class will be on the train on Wednesday. If Northern Rail operate out of Wigan the way they do in Manchester area they're forever doing unit swaps!!!!
 

northwichcat

Veteran Member
Joined
23 Jan 2009
Messages
32,692
Location
Northwich
As a positive the 156s that in the area as a result of the Merseytravel sponsored 158s, are designated to Liverpool to Wigan and Liverpool to Manchester Airport services, so those are the two routes you're most likely to see a 156 on.
 

WestCoast

Established Member
Joined
19 Jun 2010
Messages
5,665
Location
South Yorkshire
As a positive the 156s that in the area as a result of the Merseytravel sponsored 158s, are designated to Liverpool to Wigan and Liverpool to Manchester Airport services, so those are the two routes you're most likely to see a 156 on.

Although I have seen many 142s on the Wigan NW - Liverpool Lime Street stoppers.
 

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
Joined
16 May 2010
Messages
12,856
The stopper tends to be a 142 or 150, 150s and 156s tend to work those from Blackpool...
 

WestCoast

Established Member
Joined
19 Jun 2010
Messages
5,665
Location
South Yorkshire
The stopper tends to be a 142 or 150, 150s and 156s tend to work those from Blackpool...

True, although we did get to a point a couple years ago where many 142s were appearing on Blackpool runs, does anyone remember the derailment somewhere in the St. Helens area?

At the moment, 156s are the most common stock on Blackpool runs, with 150s also making regular appearances. I haven't seen many 142s recently (although the story was different a few years ago, see above).
 

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
Joined
16 May 2010
Messages
12,856
True, although we did get to a point a couple years ago where many 142s were appearing on Blackpool runs, does anyone remember the derailment somewhere in the St. Helens area?

At the moment, 156s are the most common stock on Blackpool runs, with 150s also making regular appearances. I haven't seen many 142s recently (although the story was different a few years ago, see above).

The only time I have ever seen a 142 on a Blackpool-Liverpool run is last year, curiosuly enough when I was actually using the service to do the facing crossover at Wigan North Junction. I got it through to Huyton, there was a 156 on the return.
 

WestCoast

Established Member
Joined
19 Jun 2010
Messages
5,665
Location
South Yorkshire
The only time I have ever seen a 142 on a Blackpool-Liverpool run is last year, curiosuly enough when I was actually using the service to do the facing crossover at Wigan North Junction. I got it through to Huyton, there was a 156 on the return.

A couple of years ago, for some reason, there was a phase of them appearing on the Blackpool runs (particularly in the evenings). I used to catch one regularly - I distinctly remember as they used to run non-stop Preston to Blackpool North (they still do that at weekends). I remember discussing it on another forum. No idea why.

Doesn't really happen anymore - all 156s and 150s of late.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top