• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Help RB74585 Jena to Erfurt

Status
Not open for further replies.

stuartmoss

Member
Joined
2 Feb 2010
Messages
1,048
Location
Leeds
Hi All,

I've got to catch this train in the morning, my print out states the train leaves 'Jena' which is helpful as there are three stations on two different lines...any ideas which one folks?

Cheers!
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

duesselmartin

Established Member
Joined
18 Jan 2014
Messages
2,158
Location
Duisburg, Germany
That number only runs to Naumburg.
11:47 J Göschwitz
11:52 Paradies
11:54 Saalbahnhof
11:57 J Zwätschen.

Direct services to Erfurt as mentioned from Jena West.
 

stuartmoss

Member
Joined
2 Feb 2010
Messages
1,048
Location
Leeds
Thanks both, I've now dug out the full reservation info, it was booked by my work months ago, and was meant to be Paradies at 11:52, it seems that DB have sent an email saying that due to a timetable change the train is now running at 12:18 from Paradies, however as it was in German nobody knew what it meant, it just got filed and nobody bothered to tell me. I also cannot find the train running at the revised time online, But there is a 12:18 departure, which is RE4987, which would require a change at Jena Goschwitz. I'm guessing that's what I should do?
 

30907

Veteran Member
Joined
30 Sep 2012
Messages
21,990
Location
Airedale
I presume you have a Sparpreis ticket from JENA with an ICE from Erfurt?

If so, your ticket - as opposed to the journey plan - wont mention the number of the regional train and you can use any reasonable regional train from any of the Jena group of stations.

I've recently done Gera to Erfurt via Jena and Naumburg, so its a valid if unusual route on a Sparpreis.

Just seen your update, I would be inclined to make my way to Jena West and pick up the RE to Erfurt there.
 
Last edited:

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
Joined
22 Feb 2011
Messages
21,946
Location
Mold, Clwyd
Some nostalgia for me - I travelled Erfurt-Weimar-Jena (West) and back in DDR days (1977).
The outbound trip was steam-hauled - it was the last time I travelled on a service steam train.
I shared a compartment with a Soviet Army officer complete with flying saucer hat.
Many of the main line trains were hauled by DR class 132 diesels (now DB class 232).
I travelled though the area again last year and was interested to see a 232 in the yard at Eisenach, 40 years on.
No Red Army soldiers though, or East German border guards.
 
Last edited:

stuartmoss

Member
Joined
2 Feb 2010
Messages
1,048
Location
Leeds
Thanks for the advice everyone. In the end I went to Paradies as it was the closest station and my case was 25kg. I took the first RE train that came to Jena Goschwitz, (where it was steps to an underpass to change platforms and no working lifts - that was a pain), and to the first Erfurt bound RE. I think I waited around 20 minutes. The journey to Erfurt was a lot quicker than I expected at around 35 minutes. Once at Erfurt the heavens opened and a storm of biblical proportions hit the station, which was quite a sight. My connecting EB to Ilmenau was already in the platform with doors open (25 mins before departure), guaranteeing me shelter, a seat and room for my enormous case! The journey to Ilmenau was typically boring (it's a bit like getting a train from Huddersfield to Dodworth).

Once safely checked into my hotel in Ilmenau, I heard (but couldn't see) a train on the track at Bahnhof Bad, which is very rare indeed. Anyone know what that might have been? Possibly around 15:45.

Cheers all.
 
Last edited:

Groningen

Established Member
Joined
14 Jan 2015
Messages
2,866
In my eyes there is no Sparpreis from Jena to Erfurt and 2 trains an hour for a 30 minute journey you are not going to reserve that train.
 

30907

Veteran Member
Joined
30 Sep 2012
Messages
21,990
Location
Airedale
In my eyes there is no Sparpreis from Jena to Erfurt and 2 trains an hour for a 30 minute journey you are not going to reserve that train.

Correct. I assumed (wrongly as it turns out) that the OP had some sort of pre-booked ticket so had been given specific times by DB, which had to be a Sparpreis with an IC/ICE leg.
Whereas in fact it was his employer insisting on booking the ticket.

You can presumably still get a SP for this journey using ICE Jena-Naumburg thence regional trains, but why bother?
 
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top