• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Help identifying autograph on Football programme

Status
Not open for further replies.

IanXC

Emeritus Moderator
Joined
18 Dec 2009
Messages
6,615
I was wondering whether anyone can help identifying the autograph on the rear of this programme?

Its from Aston Villa vs West Ham on Saturday 15 January 2000!

I'm inclined to think its more likely to be Aston Villa related, but I really have no idea!

Many thanks
 

Attachments

  • programme.pdf.zip
    255.8 KB · Views: 54
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

SS4

Established Member
Joined
30 Jan 2011
Messages
8,589
Location
Birmingham
Not something I recognise are you sure it's not West Ham related as it looks like an Upton Park program
 

IanXC

Emeritus Moderator
Joined
18 Dec 2009
Messages
6,615
Not something I recognise are you sure it's not West Ham related as it looks like an Upton Park program

Sorry, I meant its more likely to have been given to me by someone who is an Villa fan than a West Ham fan, as I know more people in that area of the country.
 

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Joined
4 Feb 2010
Messages
24,465
"Best wishes" then the name on the second line.
 

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Joined
8 Apr 2010
Messages
17,851
Location
Epsom
I know nothing about football, but the name surely has to be one of those in the list on that page and it appears to start with a C, is quite long and appears to contain an L and a W - I would therefore hazard a guess at the Colin Calderwood name being the closest fit.

Now, this might work.... try taking it to a pharmacist; they are famous for deciphering the spidery handwriting of doctors so this should be a doddle for them...
 

user15681

Established Member
Joined
3 Jun 2012
Messages
1,354
This one's stumped me. I'm normally pretty good at reading all sorts of scribble, upside down, back to front etc.

Personally, I don't think it's Colin Calderwood. Although your reasoning is logical, Peter, and you may well be right, the gap between the C and d in the autograph seems too large for just the two letters 'al'. (hope that makes sense)

In my opinion, it doesn't match any name from the West Ham or Aston Villa squads for the 99/00 season, named on that programme or not. Is it possible that it's the autograph of a retired player, famous person, manager of another team etc that happened to be in the ground at the time?

The name seems to begin with a C, although it could be an O. There also seems to be an 'ad' two thirds of the way in. It also has a lot of vertical peaks, which are typical of the letters i, j, l, m, n, r, u, v and w.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top