• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Help! Chiltern Railways - Prosecution Threat

Status
Not open for further replies.

chazwashere

New Member
Joined
2 Sep 2024
Messages
2
Location
London
A couple of months ago I brought a ticket from Wembley to Marylebone station on the Chiltern line where I actually got on from Princes Risborough, this was due to myself forgetting to buy the tickets on the Trainline app. (Therefore, I fare dodged unintentionally). The tickets disappear from the app once the train arrives at the specific station. Due to the tickets disappearing once the train left the location, I had forgotten to purchase them in the rush of catching the train, therefore it left me no choice but to have to get a ticket from Wembley by the time I remembered to purchase the ticket (this is not a valid excuse, stupid I know, but this was my situation).

Due to knowing what I had done, I turned myself in to the ticket officer before I got to the gate, I thought it would be best to let him know, as I use the train moderate amounts a month and did not want to cause trouble, am I right? I told him my situation (I assume this was a stupid thing to do looking back) and explained to the officer of what I had done and the possibilities of how I can pay for the full ticket. This then led to the ticket officer at the station sitting me down (even though he was co-operating with me nicely, I think he was a bit shocked at my honesty, as I understand they can come across quite harsh) he took my details and said I would receive a letter in the post for avoiding paying for the full journey. He said to me you will only have to pay a fine, and anything else that could happen is down to my purchase history if they were going to take it further. (I could tell he felt bad).

Anyway, the day has come where I have received the letter after gruelling mind games worrying about what the consequences could be for some time now (this was torture). I have now received the classic, NOTICE OF INTENDED PROSECUTION letter - from Chiltern Railways. (I have read forums, and yes, I know Chiltern Railways are not the ones to mess about with) It stated I have 14 days to respond to this case... or they will take further action. Within the letter, there was no option of paying a fine, I would need to write back a case I assume to arrange some kind of out of court settlement? I was preparing to send an out-of-court settlement for this until...

I saw that in the letter it states that I may have avoided fares to various other rail ticket retailers in the past after they had a deep dive into my history. This was a bit of a shock as I have always purchased tickets and annually renew my railcard. I could only assume my past ticket transactions look a bit suspicious due to me staying at both my parents house, whom both live in the same county but different addresses, so therefore I actually go from a number of stations on the Chiltern line, may it be High Wycombe, Wendover or Princes Risbourough for example. I also have a best mate living in Amersham where I occasionally get the train to and from which is on the same line. (This is my only reasonable thoughts on this matter as it why my purchase history looks a bit suspicious)?

I’d appreciate if you could share any similar experiences and how I can get this resolved - I do not want to reply back to them on how I forgot the ticket and a sob story to them as it seems like quite a naive story. Out of court settlement is how I want to resolve this. What's the best way to reply in the least consequential way possible? Also, what the likely outcome is going to be as I really want to avoid court as much as possible. CHILTERN SCARE THE LIFE OUT OF ME after hearing past stories on their reputation.

I have a draft email I am ready to share to whoever is kind enough to help me with this :)

Thank you
 
Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Titfield

Established Member
Joined
26 Jun 2013
Messages
3,250
Please upload the letter you have received and your response with all identifying details (name address reference number etc) obscured so that forum members can review.
 

chazwashere

New Member
Joined
2 Sep 2024
Messages
2
Location
London
Sure, please find it below

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

Please upload the letter you have received and your response with all identifying details (name address reference number etc) obscured so that forum members can review.
 

Attachments

  • Prosecution Letter Example.png
    Prosecution Letter Example.png
    440.1 KB · Views: 75

Titfield

Established Member
Joined
26 Jun 2013
Messages
3,250
This is a standard letter. You need to respond within the time frame specified.

Forum member @Hadders gives the following advice in circumstances such as this:

You might want to include the following in a short, concise reply:

- That you are sorry for what has happened
- What you have learned from the incident
- That you are keen to settle the matter without the need for court action
- Offer to pay the outstanding fare and the train company's administrative costs in dealing with the matter

Chiltern Railways are usually prepared to offer an administrative settlement (commonly known as an out of court settlement) for people who engage with the process and who haven't come to their attention before. We cannot guarantee this and they within their rights to prosecute you in the magistrates court if they want to.

If you are offered a settlement expect to have to pay the cost of the fare evaded at the full Anytime rate. In addition you will need to pay an admin fee, typically around £150. An out of court settlement might appear to be a fine, but it isn't and you won't have a criminal record as a result of accepting one.

Feel free to post a copy of the letter once it arrives (with personal details redacted) along with your draft reply in this thread and forum members will be happy to proof read it for you.


Please do not use AI to write the letter as the resulting letter usually sounds insincere which does not help your convincing Chiltern that you will not do this again.

There are numerous examples of letters written by "fare evaders" on this forum who have achieved the desired outcome of an out of court settlement. (use the search tool in the top right hand corner).
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top