• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Heaton Chapel to Glossop Off Peak Day Return

Status
Not open for further replies.
Joined
21 Feb 2011
Messages
214
Location
Doncaster
I am seeking advice on the fabulously vague wording on the restriction for this ticket type/route.

I was under the impression that the restriction code ND applied to the ORIGIN station only and any subsequent changes required to complete the journey were allowed as the departure from the origin station was within the spcified times.

My experience with Northern revenue staff was on the return journey today. Having departed Glossop at 1523, and changed at Manchester Piccadilly onto the specified connection (1621 departure) the ticket was examined and I was told it was not valid.
I told the examiner that I had started from Glossop at 1523 but he was insistent that because the train I had caught from Piccadilly was within the barred timespan I needed to pay an excess.
I disagreed and he told me the famous phrase "I will let you off this time", which suggests he was not sure.

So, having read the restriction again, does anyone have an opinion on whether I was correct or incorrect please?
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

gnolife

Established Member
Joined
4 Nov 2010
Messages
2,047
Location
Johnstone
The guard, was correct to tell you that it isn't valid. The peak restriction in Manchester applies to boarding a train in the peak time, defined as before 09:30 and between 16:01 and 18:29.

I, along with a fair number of people, feel that the peak restriction is needlessly harsh on people that need to make connections, whether in Manchester or otherwise, which is incredibly infuriating if connecting, for example, at Wigan between a service from Kirkby to a service on the Atherton line, where there is no major overcrowding
 

PeterY

Established Member
Joined
2 Apr 2013
Messages
1,363
That seems a very unFARE system to me.

If I start a journey on TLF with Oyster at 15.59 it's off peak regardless of the number of changes assuming I don't tap out.
 

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Joined
6 Jun 2005
Messages
78,430
Location
Yorkshire
Northern are the only Train Company I know of to implement a system that penalises passengers who change trains in this way.

You were probably told "I will let you off this time" not because of uncertainty but because the member of staff realises they have been put in a ridiculous situation by management. Some Guards - to their credit in my opinion - reportedly refuse to issue such excesses.

It was well documented at the time as being ludicrously unfair and Barry Doe has written several articles about it. However Northern stubbornly refuse to change their ways and fall into line with other operators. I blame the management at the very top. They never used to be this way!
 

Adam0984

Established Member
Joined
18 Feb 2014
Messages
1,213
So would the correct excess be the full journey I.e Glossop to Heaton Chapel or would the excess be just for the portion after the peak starts?
 

ANorthernGuard

Established Member
Joined
8 Oct 2010
Messages
2,662
So would the correct excess be the full journey I.e Glossop to Heaton Chapel or would the excess be just for the portion after the peak starts?

I would excess the portion after the peak starts (Personally)
 

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Joined
6 Jun 2005
Messages
78,430
Location
Yorkshire
I would excess the portion after the peak starts (Personally)
That's very kind; the rules allow for the entire single or return ticket to be excessed, which of course is a bit unfair but those are the rules (or, if cheaper, a new ticket to cover the relevant part).
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top