Llanigraham
On Moderation
Even better, we Powys bus pass holders get free travel in the winter!
Would it be possible for ATW to run a more frequent service on this line? Maybe every two hours in each direction? I am just wondering if the service was more frequent then it could attract many more people to use the line?
Makes no sense at the moment, demand is just not there and with the shortage of stock that ATW currently have they definitely don't want to commit more trains to the route.
A new depot at Llandovery? It's a tiny place, isn't it? Does it have the population to provide the drivers and guards for such a depot?
Anyway, if there is space available and population, it would cost an awful lot in initial investment, in terms of fixed assets and human resources. The Welsh Development Office (or whatever it is called) should subsidise it as a means of increasing and diversifying rural employment opportunities.
I've attempted to timetable a more frequent through service and it just isn't possible without several more passing loops, or lots more very long waits at crossing stations. Adding short workings either end isn't too difficult as they only pass one other train so times can be set to achieve that (I don't know the details of how the "new" short workings were arrived at so can't comment on this). However as soon as an end-to-end passes more than one end-to-end in the opposite direction, timing it to make the first crossing means it misses the second one by a long way no matter which of the existing loops is used. It would need several more passing loops to make it work.
I think its sensible that a seasonal restriction is placed on this.
I can see other arguments in favour, but is the HOW circuit really that time-sensitive? And what is the current usage of the circular ticket?
PS Thanks for the map link - if the SDL were to reopen, a station by the J47 services would make better sense IMO.
I cant add much to the discussions on future services but for those who's journey is not time sensative there are some very decent advances available on most trains and I myself intend riding the line throughout from CRE to LLE later this year as the timing of my journey makes the main route via Cardif much more expensive.
Heart of Wales Circular Day Ranger
Overview
Enjoy a circular journey in either direction around the designated circuit on Arriva Trains Wales services.
Details
Heart of Wales Circular Day Ranger offers a circular journey in either direction around the circuit between Cardiff Central - Craven Arms - Shrewsbury - Llandrindod Wells - Llanelli - Swansea - Cardiff Central on Arriva Trains Wales services.
The journey can start at any station on the designated circuit.
Expecting through passengers on the 09:14 ex-Crewe (10:09 ex-Shrewsbury) to sit twiddling their thumbs for 21 minutes at Llandrindod Wells is frankly pushing things.
Similarly the 14:05 from Shrewsbury waits for 14 minutes at Llanwrtyd.
In the opposite direction the 06:03 service from Swansea waits at Llanwrtyd for 17 minutes.
The 18:21 service from Swansea waits for 25 minutes at Llanwrtyd and for a further 17 minutes at Llandrindod.
All caused by the need to fit in with the morning extras and the Crewe-Shrewsbury service pattern.
Hardly attractive being honest about it.
I fully understand why it happens, due to the pathing constraints and rolling stock constraints, but frankly the WG bit off more than it could chew with the recast on this route - it needs more rolling stock for a start.
I bet the smokers will be happy that they can nip off for a quick puff!
Seriously, while it doesn't look good, I don't think it's quite as bad as it seems for most passengers. After all, not many will be using the trains for end to end journeys, and I cna remember having some waits at stations like Llanwrtyd back in the 1980's.
It may be a few minutes longer now, and some of my previous waits may have been down to late running as well as the timetable, but it's always been part of the HoW, and I feel that anyone ona time sensitive joureny isn't going to be likely to use the trains anyway.
I admit I'd rather see things looking a better and the service being as attractive as possible to potential users, but I don't see what can realistically be done in the short term. Any suggestions form anyone?
Even better, we Powys bus pass holders get free travel in the winter!
I think its sensible that a seasonal restriction is placed on this.
Machynlleth and Pwllheli both have depots with no recruitment problems. Theres 40 plus drivers and conductors at Machynlleth Which is the same size as Llandovery. Holyhead has an ATW and a VTWC depot but it's only a town of 10K. Rural doesn't equal nothing there far from it.
I bet the smokers will be happy that they can nip off for a quick puff!
Seriously, while it doesn't look good, I don't think it's quite as bad as it seems for most passengers. After all, not many will be using the trains for end to end journeys, and I cna remember having some waits at stations like Llanwrtyd back in the 1980's.
That's because Machynlleth depot is full of cockneysseriously though, without going in to too much detail I understand recruitment at the more isolate depots is a bit more problematic than it is at the more urban locations. However, I fail to see how the costs of establishing and maintaining a new depot would ever be cheaper than the other options of taxiing staff, running ECS services or having staff work night turns (last one in, first one back out, with a PNB in the small hours in between, as is currently done with the last Cardiff Hereford of the day and it's return the next morning). It works at Pwllheli and Holyhead, but those examples are much more extreme than anywhere at the bottom end of the HOWL.
Operating a single track railway with passing loops is in itself difficult, especially if line speeds change (loops can end up being in the wrong place), and when you add in the constraints at either end of fitting in with other services it is tricky.
But I refuse to believe that having a train sitting for 42 minutes along the way is good operating practice. Those kind of waits mid-journey are excessive in the extreme.
The point I am making is that by adding the additional services, without providing additional rolling stock resources the WG made virtually all of the other journeys on the line slower - that's not exactly progress is it?
I cant see Llandovery being a recruitment issue which was what the posters question inferred. Stands to reason there could be some ATW Carmarthan Depot or GWR Swansea depot staff who live out that way anyway. I would imagine some GWR drivers would prefer a trundle on the Heart of Wales instead of trying to fight to keep a bi mode IEP to HST schedules on its underfloor engines![]()
A good number of ATW Carmarthen drivers are (or were) ex Pantyffynon when there was a freight signing on point there - and who reside in the Towy Valley ?Ammanford area so Llandovry - or better Llandeilo would fit very well indeed.
Any speculation on what is now ATW using Landore when the IEP's kick in - or is this too sensitive ?
Holyhead, Chester (non 175), Crewe,Shrewsbury, Pwllheli and Carmarthen are currently overnight stabling points only. Cardiff Canton, Chester (175 only) and Machynlleth are the only maintenance depots.
It's been extended to all of Wales now! But if you live the wrong side of Knighton you have to pay full price. I know it's because it's the Welsh who are paying for it, (and why should they pay for the English to travel?) but it does seem rather cruel.
In an ideal world, I really do wonder what would happen if a service ran from Llandeilo > Ammanford > Pontarddulais > SDL > new station at Morriston M4 J45 (with P&R & bus link to hospital and Swansea city centre - same route) > new station to serve the new Llandarcy village > Port Talbot - with possible extension to Cardiff. It would certainly make travel from the aforementioned places to and from the east a lot quicker and more attractive than the present arrangement via Llanelli.
If trains were able to link Cardiff with the HoW via this more direct route, a lot more tourists would be attracted to do the HoW / Marches circuit of southern Wales than is the case now.
The quickest way this might happen now would be for the Fishguard flyer to be timed to stop at Llangennech & match a northbound train for Shrewsbury picking them up about 10 minutes later.
I can remember back in 1985, when trains crossed at the level crossing north of Llandod - if the train from Swansea was running late, people on the southbound train were stuck waiting, and couldn't get out. At least, in those days, you were allowed to smoke on the train!
Devil , as ever, will be in the detail .....as far as HoW dedicated units berthed on the line are concerned (should that transpire) , there would be perhaps be awkward moves needed to reach a TMD for maintenance , as opposed to simple cleaning and maybe fuelling. All of whcih might add even more operational cost , compared to today where there are "interworking" options with the larger franchise operational plan.
Interesting point though about Taff's Well !
.
Class 230s aren't light rail. They might be an option for the HoWL but are rather hampered by the longish 75mph runs either end, where they could only do 60mph.
The 18:21 service from Swansea waits for 25 minutes at Llanwrtyd and for a further 17 minutes at Llandrindod.
I wouldn't be surprised if a overnight serving depot on the HOWL was a costed option that WG will ask for a lot depends on the Landore site one suspectslogically with the wires going to Swansea you need a DMU maintainence depot for west Wales close to it not at Canton 40 miles under the wires.
Carmarthen is surely the best place for a West Wales depot. None of the lines are likely to be electrified any time soon and it already has a traincrew depot.
Not sure why the wait at Llandrindod - but how many people are still on the train by Llanwrtyd? And was the loading on this train any different in the old timetable?