ffcphone
Member
Before Christmas, I was at Preston station awaiting my normal First TransPennine Express class 185 to take me home. The Summer 2008 timetable meant my train departed at 17:35 whereas at 17:40 a Northern Rail service departed and although it followed an identical route to Manchester, it was a local all-stopping service and was therefore slower. However, the point I want you to take forward is that there is a 5 minute window to dash from one platform to another if needs be.
So the class 185 rolls in as per normal, on time, as I recall. Passengers alight and passengers (including me) board. However, we don't go anywhere.
Next thing I notice the conductor outgoing (staff change at Preston) is talking to the incoming conductor and pointing at the platform-side last rear passenger window which looks to have a crack in it. I'm adjacent to it albeit on the opposite side so I go over and run my hand over it. Can't feel a thing. Whilst the train is still stationary, I go outside to the platform and run my hand over the window there. Can hardly feel anything. The window has shattered slightly and the conductor advises immediately prior to Preston some kids had thrown something at the train and hence the window.
I'm no glazier but there was no missing glass nor any deep scratches/cuts etc. If that was my car I'd have been happy to drive home on the motorway.
However, Virgin Trains platform staff (in their comedy red outfits) now join the two TPE staff in discussing the window. Lots of pointing, scratching of heads. The 17:40 Northern Rail service has by now arrived and departed and we're still at Preston, train fully loaded and ready to depart, up fast green signal displaying.
Eventually, the WHOLE TRAIN is withdrawn from service due to the window! Apparently health and safety concerns mean they aren't happy the window will remain intact passing turbulence/etc.
I suggest to the conductor why not "rope off" the last quarter of the affected carriage thereby allowing passengers to sit in 2.75 coaches. Definite no in case window comes in.
I suggest why not take carriage 3 out of public use altogether and at least allow passengers to use 2 coaches.
No. Take the whole train out of service instead and leave us all at Preston station with best part of half an hour until next train.
I suggested it may have been useful and possibly even polite to let passengers know earlier so we could have got the local stopping Northern Rail service. Apparently the decision had not been made then!
Health & Safety really annoys me. Years ago British Rail wouldn't have batted an eyelid at a slightly damaged window. Now, coupled with the fact it took about 5 staff, a phone call and lots of head scratching to make the decision, a train load of passengers found themselves having to wait.
Oh and once taken out of service the train naturally set off to Manchester!
Really infuriates me that.
I emailed FTPE customer relations who confirmed the decision had been taken to take the train completely out of service. I suggested taking carriage 3 out of service but my suggestion was interpreted as being decoupling carriage 3 and I got a lecture back about how it was not possible to simply remove a carriage because they have to run in 3s....yawn yawn do they think I'm stupid!
Anyways, anyone else got any quality incidents to report!
F
So the class 185 rolls in as per normal, on time, as I recall. Passengers alight and passengers (including me) board. However, we don't go anywhere.
Next thing I notice the conductor outgoing (staff change at Preston) is talking to the incoming conductor and pointing at the platform-side last rear passenger window which looks to have a crack in it. I'm adjacent to it albeit on the opposite side so I go over and run my hand over it. Can't feel a thing. Whilst the train is still stationary, I go outside to the platform and run my hand over the window there. Can hardly feel anything. The window has shattered slightly and the conductor advises immediately prior to Preston some kids had thrown something at the train and hence the window.
I'm no glazier but there was no missing glass nor any deep scratches/cuts etc. If that was my car I'd have been happy to drive home on the motorway.
However, Virgin Trains platform staff (in their comedy red outfits) now join the two TPE staff in discussing the window. Lots of pointing, scratching of heads. The 17:40 Northern Rail service has by now arrived and departed and we're still at Preston, train fully loaded and ready to depart, up fast green signal displaying.
Eventually, the WHOLE TRAIN is withdrawn from service due to the window! Apparently health and safety concerns mean they aren't happy the window will remain intact passing turbulence/etc.
I suggest to the conductor why not "rope off" the last quarter of the affected carriage thereby allowing passengers to sit in 2.75 coaches. Definite no in case window comes in.
I suggest why not take carriage 3 out of public use altogether and at least allow passengers to use 2 coaches.
No. Take the whole train out of service instead and leave us all at Preston station with best part of half an hour until next train.
I suggested it may have been useful and possibly even polite to let passengers know earlier so we could have got the local stopping Northern Rail service. Apparently the decision had not been made then!
Health & Safety really annoys me. Years ago British Rail wouldn't have batted an eyelid at a slightly damaged window. Now, coupled with the fact it took about 5 staff, a phone call and lots of head scratching to make the decision, a train load of passengers found themselves having to wait.
Oh and once taken out of service the train naturally set off to Manchester!
Really infuriates me that.
I emailed FTPE customer relations who confirmed the decision had been taken to take the train completely out of service. I suggested taking carriage 3 out of service but my suggestion was interpreted as being decoupling carriage 3 and I got a lecture back about how it was not possible to simply remove a carriage because they have to run in 3s....yawn yawn do they think I'm stupid!
Anyways, anyone else got any quality incidents to report!
F