• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Health and Safety, who needs it!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dai.

Established Member
Joined
2 Aug 2008
Messages
1,210
Location
Wales
I was surfing the web today and found the following picture -

129171093119519660.jpg



I was wondering if you guys had seen some form of terrible skip of health and safety!
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

TrainBrain185

Member
Joined
2 Jun 2009
Messages
310
Location
County Durham
So you think that train op would allow that unit to carry passengers with that malfunctioned door? I think not. Can't just run the vehicle through a "Stargate" back the the Depot for repair.
 

9K43

Member
Joined
1 May 2010
Messages
558
I was HSWA Rep for the RMT for a long time.
My driver rep and myself covered a large swathe of locations in Yorkshire and Humberside, in fact anywhere our members went on duty we could examine for safety.(EG The Workplace.)
As for the managers all they did was play Microsoft Excel Spreadsheet Madness.
We have gone in long tunnels where every drain was minus a cover, locations where ther were hypodermic syringes which our members could walk over. The list of defects to walking routes, shift patterns, methods of working etc were all endless.
You find that Senior Management talked safety but if it came to spending money the above problem kicked in.
You cannot run a railway without safety, and Union Safety Reps play a vital role in keeping the railway safe for thier members, and this knocks on for the rail users.
There is a maxim on the railway which is
' If its not safe do not do it.'
 

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Joined
8 Apr 2010
Messages
17,849
Location
Epsom
The earthing is directly through the wheels - did you notice the big sparks at two points in the clip?
 

9K43

Member
Joined
1 May 2010
Messages
558
Thats an eye-opening case of mend and make do without the mend! I wonder what the voltage is on the, ahem, OHLE.:D

I have been in pit yards in Yorkshire that had roads similar to that in the vid.
Some examples of bad pit railways was Wooley, before the bunker was made.
Park Mill pit/Emley Moor screens and large parts of Hull Docks.
This is why H and S is vital for everyone who uses the railway.
 

CarterUSM

Established Member
Joined
4 Jan 2010
Messages
2,495
Location
North Britain
I have been in pit yards in Yorkshire that had roads similar to that in the vid.
Some examples of bad pit railways was Wooley, before the bunker was made.
Park Mill pit/Emley Moor screens and large parts of Hull Docks.
This is why H and S is vital for everyone who uses the railway.

Indeed, we have always made good use of our health and safety reps, i assure you.:):)
 
Last edited:

Broken Viking

On Moderation
Joined
23 Oct 2006
Messages
1,666
Location
some place west of France
So you think that train op would allow that unit to carry passengers with that malfunctioned door? I think not. Can't just run the vehicle through a "Stargate" back the the Depot for repair.
Whyever not? Even in that state, it's still safer than the doors on the average Pacer! :lol:

Thats an eye-opening case of mend and make do without the mend! I wonder what the voltage is on the, ahem, OHLE.:D
Can't hazard a guess as to the voltage, but going on the sparks I'm pretty certain that's a DC "catenery" that he's taking power from. :)

Mind ye...That's given me a very interesting idea involving a pair of marigold gloves, a six-pack of Newcastle Broon, a spare 390 and a carbon fishing rod! :shock::lol:;)
Hang on...What if I take two rods insted? A dual feed from two cateneries would be 50Kv~, and might just get the Pendo over the 200mph mark if I'm lucky! :idea:<D

...And of course, who can forget about "normal" loadings commonplace on the Indian rail system? :razz:
indian-railways-1.jpg
 

starrymarkb

Established Member
Joined
4 Aug 2009
Messages
5,985
Location
Exeter
Mind ye...That's given me a very interesting idea involving a pair of marigold gloves, a six-pack of Newcastle Broon, a spare 390 and a carbon fishing rod! :shock::lol:;)
Hang on...What if I take two rods insted? A dual feed from two cateneries would be 50Kv~, and might just get the Pendo over the 200mph mark if I'm lucky! :idea:<D

Would still be 25kV - connected in parallel...
 

455driver

Veteran Member
Joined
10 May 2010
Messages
11,329
So that would be 37.5KV then.

The 415V industrial supply is just the 3 240V supplies phased together, 240+120+60=420V (415V real world).
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top