• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Health and Safety? (Lymington sacking)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ralphchadkirk

Established Member
Joined
20 Oct 2008
Messages
5,754
Location
Essex
Having seen him in the top hat, and with him being described as eccentric, I can see why he might no thave been popular with everybody. He could be one of thos epeople that you either love or loathe - no middle ground!

It's speculation, but having styled himself as an old fashioned station master, he may had his own way of doing things which did not sit well with management. If true, then insisting customers don't use the ticket machines is not good behaviour

Perhaps he styled himself on the SM from Oh Mr Porter!!
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
Joined
9 Aug 2009
Messages
15,268
Location
Llanelli
He admits going on to the track to remove a shopping trolley. He may not be telling us everything else, although the DM has stated he had an unblemished 27 year work record which is not true if you believe some of the other statements that have been made by other people who may or may not know more of the facts.

My own feeling is that he would not have been dismissed if there hadn't been other issues with his behaviour.
 

OxtedL

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Joined
23 Mar 2011
Messages
2,631
I will hint again (because I feel like it) the impression I'm getting is of an obsessive member of staff who decided he needed to pick litter off the tracks and perhaps embellished the truth a little at some point a long the way. I fully agree that we may never find out.

Anyone who knows may wish to hint something back. Hint once for yes, twice for no, and three times for "no comment". ;)

Although of course I am just as vulnerable as the media to being mislead.
 

MrC

Member
Joined
20 Nov 2009
Messages
218
although the DM has stated he had an unblemished 27 year work record which is not true if you believe some of the other statements that have been made by other people who may or may not know more of the facts.

Seeing as he used to be a signaller quite a lot of years ago, and isn't now, you can probably make an educated guess as to how true the DM's statement is.
 

Hydro

Established Member
Joined
5 Mar 2007
Messages
2,204
It's appearing the gentlemans story has more holes than a piece of Swiss cheese. Never mind though, "HEALTH AND SAFETY GONE MADE, COMMIE PINKO MUTHAF*CKAS", MADDIE DISCOVERY LEADS TO CANCER PENSION HOUSEPRICE RELIEF" let's judge the situation on no understanding of the modern operational railway, no one who allegedly drops de-icining fluid on the running rails unoffically causing a station overrun can be bad because he wears a top hat and smiles at the old biddies can be wrong....
 

HST Power

Established Member
Joined
25 Nov 2010
Messages
3,704
I'm sure many of you know of Richard Spendler MBE, who presents BBC Regional Radio from 8:00pm-11:00pm on Saturday evenings. He himself was once a signalman at Ely, and speaking on his show last night he said that in this incident, the station master (whether or not he is a station master is not the point I'm conveying here) was sacked for breaching over the top health and safety regulations that weren't needed or used in the past, and are not needed now either. I am not endorsing his opinion, but it was certainly interesting to hear his perspective on the matter.
 

ralphchadkirk

Established Member
Joined
20 Oct 2008
Messages
5,754
Location
Essex
Given the rest of the facts that are slowly revealing themselves to people in or connected with the industry, I'm not surprised he was sacked.
 

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
Joined
9 Aug 2009
Messages
15,268
Location
Llanelli
So this incident may not be dissimilar to the Guide Bridge wheelchair one, where all was not as it appeared in the initial media reports!

Yet people never learn and continue to speculate wildly whilst making the story fit their own particular agenda (Yes Littlejohn, I mean you!)
 

Matt Taylor

Established Member
Joined
31 Aug 2008
Messages
2,362
Location
Portsmouth
I'm sure many of you know of Richard Spendler MBE, who presents BBC Regional Radio from 8:00pm-11:00pm on Saturday evenings. He himself was once a signalman at Ely, and speaking on his show last night he said that in this incident, the station master (whether or not he is a station master is not the point I'm conveying here) was sacked for breaching over the top health and safety regulations that weren't needed or used in the past, and are not needed now either. I am not endorsing his opinion, but it was certainly interesting to hear his perspective on the matter.


Never heard of him, and he is not in a position to say why the man was sacked as he is not in full possession of the facts. Requesting a line blockage and current isolation is neither over the top nor not needed, it is common sense.
 

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
Joined
9 Aug 2009
Messages
15,268
Location
Llanelli
Presumably only those who are in the regional area where Mr Spendler broadcasts will know of him! But I digress, if he is not in possession of the relevant facts, it is no more than speculation and opinion.
 

Clip

Established Member
Joined
28 Jun 2010
Messages
10,821
Presumably only those who are in the regional area where Mr Spendler broadcasts will know of him! But I digress, if he is not in possession of the relevant facts, it is no more than speculation and opinion.

Indeed.. I think it covers the whole of the south area when local radio goes over to one big broadcast..

And i wonder how long ago he was a signalman @ Ely. Rules keep on changing, sometimes for the good but they do change and must be adhered to.
 

jon0844

Veteran Member
Joined
1 Feb 2009
Messages
30,943
Location
UK
There was a lady that worked in the ticket office at Hatfield (has been gone for some considerable time now, I might add) who must have seemed very nice to most people. She would smile, give information and she even did platform announcements - such as telling people that off-peak tickets weren't valid on the 0924 to King's Cross (they no longer announce this).

However, she had a darker side, which was discovered if you happened to be young, Chinese and perhaps wanting to buy a YPRC discounted ticket. Hatfield has a very large Chinese population, and many can't speak very good English.

She would speak to all of them in the most patronising way you could imagine, and even shout at them for not showing their railcard and pretty much anything else not done quickly enough. She clearly didn't like students, and especially Chinese students.

I know Hatfield did have a problem (maybe still does) with YPRCs being shared between friends, so she'd probably experienced many problem students, but you must still remember to treat the next person in a professional manner.

I bet most people would think she was sweet and lovely but it was like Jekyll & Hyde.
 

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
Joined
9 Aug 2009
Messages
15,268
Location
Llanelli
Indeed.. I think it covers the whole of the south area when local radio goes over to one big broadcast..

And i wonder how long ago he was a signalman @ Ely. Rules keep on changing, sometimes for the good but they do change and must be adhered to.

Quite. I was postman for several years, but I haven't been inside a sorting office for fourtenn years now, so i wouldn;t like to comment on someone being sacked for refusing to wear a cycle helmet as I don;t know what the current rules are!

Not quite the same I know, but it makes the point!

There was a lady that worked in the ticket office at Hatfield (has been gone for some considerable time now, I might add) who must have seemed very nice to most people. She would smile, give information and she even did platform announcements - such as telling people that off-peak tickets weren't valid on the 0924 to King's Cross (they no longer announce this).

However, she had a darker side, which was discovered if you happened to be young, Chinese and perhaps wanting to buy a YPRC discounted ticket. Hatfield has a very large Chinese population, and many can't speak very good English.

She would speak to all of them in the most patronising way you could imagine, and even shout at them for not showing their railcard and pretty much anything else not done quickly enough. She clearly didn't like students, and especially Chinese students.

I know Hatfield did have a problem (maybe still does) with YPRCs being shared between friends, so she'd probably experienced many problem students, but you must still remember to treat the next person in a professional manner.

I bet most people would think she was sweet and lovely but it was like Jekyll & Hyde.

A fine and cautionary tale, and one I can relate to from my own experiences in different jobs, including the railway.
 

HST Power

Established Member
Joined
25 Nov 2010
Messages
3,704
Never heard of him, and he is not in a position to say why the man was sacked as he is not in full possession of the facts. .

How do you know he's not in full possession of the facts? I wasn't supporting him, but he was only a signalmen, what could he possibly know about the railway.....
 

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
Joined
9 Aug 2009
Messages
15,268
Location
Llanelli
How do you know he is?

Obviously, even if he is in possession of all of the relevant facts, it is still only his opinion that modern regulations are unnecessary.

It is always interesting to hear opinions, but his are not any more worthy of attention because he once worked on the railway.
 

ralphchadkirk

Established Member
Joined
20 Oct 2008
Messages
5,754
Location
Essex
How do you know he's not in full possession of the facts? I wasn't supporting him, but he was only a signalmen, what could he possibly know about the railway.....

Exactly, he doesn't work for the Railway now. How could he be expected to know about an internal matter.
 

Hydro

Established Member
Joined
5 Mar 2007
Messages
2,204
I wasn't supporting him, but he was only a signalmen, what could he possibly know about the railway.....

I know, I bet he had to clear obstructions and litter pick all the time around all that 3rd rail down at Ely.
 

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Joined
7 Apr 2010
Messages
34,308
I know, I bet he had to clear obstructions and litter pick all the time around all that 3rd rail down at Ely.

Litter picks in third rail areas are done by NR under posession aren't they? That's how it reads in the rules of the route, it seems to me.

Earlier in the thread when the subject of SWT staff litter picking trackside was raised, I thought then that this was something that just doesn't happen.

Indeed I think this was first pointed out to me by station staff a few years ago when I mentioned the build up of rubbish on the tracks at Southampton Central...
 

Hydro

Established Member
Joined
5 Mar 2007
Messages
2,204
Litter picks are normally contract staff under a T3, we used to have them out all the time.
 

Surreytraveller

On Moderation
Joined
21 Oct 2009
Messages
3,905
Why not? It's his money! He's paid into it - South West Trains can't just take it out again - that's theft.
 

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Joined
12 Oct 2010
Messages
32,939
Location
Fenny Stratford
Thats what makes this story so unfair for Ian :(

it is in his contract - it can hardly be unfair if you know all about it. I would suggets you have a look at your own contract. WOuld have been pretty unfair to one of the blokes who had to scrape him off the track if it all went wrong!

Lets just see if there is a tribuanl hearing. It just doesnt all add up i am afrid. Something just doesnt sit right about the whole episode.
 

ralphchadkirk

Established Member
Joined
20 Oct 2008
Messages
5,754
Location
Essex
Depending on when the tribunal hearing is, I may take some time out and go, or if not, at least read the report.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top