• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Hayes/Harlington-Southend-St.Pancras this Sat.?

Status
Not open for further replies.

30mog

Member
Joined
25 Apr 2013
Messages
191
This Saturday I am spending the night at a hotel near Heathrow. I am booked on the 20:57 to Sheffield Saturday evening. In between I want to get to Southend and back. Have worked out the cheapest way is bus to Hayes or Ealing Broadway, use Oyster as far as Romford and then use a day return from there to Southend (valid to/from both stations).

Knowing I should be able to buy Romford-Southend ticket at Hayes or Ealing. Is there a way of avoiding the silliness of getting off at Romford, forcing me to step back a train each way, to tap in and out as I change between ticket/oyster?

NB. London Travelcards for day tripping from destinations outside London cannot be purchased in reverse can they?
 
Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

James Wake

Member
Joined
30 Aug 2013
Messages
962
A paper day 1-6 travelcard at £8.90, plus a Upminster to Southend Stations Super Off Peak Day return at £9.40 may be better, would certainly save the hassle of touching out at Romford or Upminster, do you have a railcard?
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Which bus routes are you on near Heathrow, we may be able to help with best journeys as well.
 
Last edited:

30mog

Member
Joined
25 Apr 2013
Messages
191
Point taken about using paper Travelcard rather Oyster, except for bus at start of day. However, if I stick with Romford-Southend STNS it would cover me Upminster to Southend Central? And, allow me to begin return at Prittlewell. After I've been to football match at Roots Hall? All for just 90p more than cheapest way?
 

James Wake

Member
Joined
30 Aug 2013
Messages
962
I can't see a problem with using a Romford-Southend STNS ticket by touching out at Romford, then using the shuttle to Upminster and a c2c from there, as you didn't mention it in your previous post, I was not aware you wanted to start your return from Prittlewell (which should be fine to use AGA back to Romford). Maybe one of the fare experts can just confirm that is a valid route, and how best to use your Oyster, maybe up to the £8.50 Zone 1-6 cap.
 

30mog

Member
Joined
25 Apr 2013
Messages
191
Furthermore. I can walk up to any LU ticket office on Friday and ask for a 'Travelcard for tomorrow'. Done it before. That would save the bus fare on my Oystercard.

I have checked. Romford to Southend STNS is fine to SS Central via Upminster. So I'm just using the rule book that I believe states something to the effect of, 'YOUR TICKET REMAINS VALID if you join the train after the origin station but on a permitted route'. Thus, outward leg actually starts at Upminster - might actually board at Fenchurch Street and make sure it's one that calls at Upminster. Likewise with return leg starting at Prittlewell.
 

James Wake

Member
Joined
30 Aug 2013
Messages
962
That sounds like a very good idea, I can't see a problem with that, all trains on Saturday from Fenchurch during the day stop at Upminster, trains via the mainline are xx10 and xx40 (all stations via Basildon) and xx00 and xx30 (all stations except Limehouse, West Horndon and Pitsea) that go to Shoeburyness via Southend Central.
 

Starmill

Veteran Member
Joined
18 May 2012
Messages
27,337
Location
Bolton
Furthermore. I can walk up to any LU ticket office on Friday and ask for a 'Travelcard for tomorrow'. Done it before. That would save the bus fare on my Oystercard.

Just for clarity, you can also get one from any national rail ticket office too :D
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top