• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Have you seen the Cranleigh railway sign (token?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

JamesK73

New Member
Joined
26 May 2013
Messages
3
Hello. Many years ago, my father had one of the railway signs (tokens....? sorry, not certain of the correct terminology) for the defunct Cranleigh railway station.

He loaned it to a restaurant in Cranleigh for display in the 1980s but the restaurant went bust and the sign went walkies.

Has anyone seen it or might know where it went?

I'd like to retrieve the sign in memory of my father who passed away late last year; it has tremendous sentimental value and he was unable to track it down, so I thought I would try....

Thanks.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Johnuk123

Established Member
Joined
19 Mar 2012
Messages
2,800
The type of sign you're looking for is called a totem not a token.

Cranleigh probably had between 10 and 20 of them at least.

According to the site - http://www.railwayana.net/rarity/totems/totemrarityguide.htm

A Cranleigh totem has probably never been seen in auction which means that the one you're after could well be the only one in existence.

When stations were demolished or rebuilt often these signs were just considered rubbish and dumped, the ones that survive are only a fraction of the original.

Unfortunately I think your chances of finding one are very slim and if anybody does have one they would want over £1,000 for it.
 

JamesK73

New Member
Joined
26 May 2013
Messages
3
Thanks for replying. As I say, the totem went walkies years ago and I'd like it back, but understand my chances are very slim.... But I thought if anyone is going to be able to help, members of this forum are..

Thanks again.
 

Johnuk123

Established Member
Joined
19 Mar 2012
Messages
2,800
Thanks for replying. As I say, the totem went walkies years ago and I'd like it back, but understand my chances are very slim.... But I thought if anyone is going to be able to help, members of this forum are..

Thanks again.


I know it's no way near the same but companies will make you a replica one. If you Google you'll find 4 or 5 places that vary widely in price but will certainly make you one.

The expensive ones look exactly the same and have even been passed off as original to people who can't tell the difference.
 

JamesK73

New Member
Joined
26 May 2013
Messages
3
Thanks Silver King. I don't suppose you have any details such as the auction house, etc...?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top