• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Have you ever been the only passenger on a train?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Joined
4 Feb 2010
Messages
24,467
Only one I can recount is the 0634 Loughborough - Norwich service through Syston North Junction and Syston East Junction on a Central Trains 156 in about 2001. I got off at Melton Mowbray though as it was the wrong train. :cry:

Many a time on the buses. Arriva Midlands 53/53A from Thurnby Lodge back to the city centre is often devoid of other passengers in that direction on a Sunday evening even now. Despite this the service still runs every 15 minutes combined. In fact the 2020 journey on the 53 last night, a Monday, only had me onboard.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

trentside

Established Member
Joined
14 Aug 2010
Messages
3,391
Location
Messroom
Once had the 0610 from Retford to Lincoln all to myself on a bank holiday, it was a 142 with bus seats as far as I recall. Another occasion on the same train, had the car of a 158 to myself - think that was a Saturday.
 

Buttsy

Established Member
Joined
20 May 2011
Messages
1,374
Location
Hanborough
I think I was the only passenger from Retford High Level to Worksop about a year ago. It was the last train of the day and I was line bashing again...
 

heart-of-wessex

Established Member
Joined
11 Jun 2005
Messages
3,087
Location
Trowbridge
Oddly I was once the only passenger on a 143 from Bristol Temple Meads to Filton Abbey Wood once. That was on a weekday and was around 17:00 hours too! I did wonder if I ended up on an ECS turn! :lol:

Only other time is when I was actually on an ECS turn and ended up embarringesly doing Euston to Wembley Depot...that was back in 2006/07 IIRC
 

Eng274

Member
Joined
19 Aug 2010
Messages
796
I was so very nearly on an ECS movement in 2009.

I was at Camelon at around 9:30pm-ish, waiting on a train back to Edinburgh. Naively I thought "all trains stopping here must surely go to Edinburgh.." so the next one that came, I boarded. Come Falkirk Grahamston, the 170's PIS states "This is Falkirk Grahamston, where this train terminates.." not 2 seconds after grabbing my gear and bolting off the train, the doors were closed, lights turned off and away it went.. When I did get an Edinburgh train, I saw the previous terminator sat forlornly in a loop, in total darkness. I reckon I was seriously lucky that time!
 

heart-of-wessex

Established Member
Joined
11 Jun 2005
Messages
3,087
Location
Trowbridge
I was so very nearly on an ECS movement in 2009.

I was at Camelon at around 9:30pm-ish, waiting on a train back to Edinburgh. Naively I thought "all trains stopping here must surely go to Edinburgh.." so the next one that came, I boarded. Come Falkirk Grahamston, the 170's PIS states "This is Falkirk Grahamston, where this train terminates.." not 2 seconds after grabbing my gear and bolting off the train, the doors were closed, lights turned off and away it went.. When I did get an Edinburgh train, I saw the previous terminator sat forlornly in a loop, in total darkness. I reckon I was seriously lucky that time!

That was lucky!!

I have been asleep on a 377 once and woke up in complete darkness. It was night and all the lights were out. I did wonder if I slept so long that I was trapped in Three Bridges Sidings! Thankfully the PA came on (made me jump) and the driver was trying to reset the system hence the darknes....phew!
 

Blindtraveler

Established Member
Joined
28 Feb 2011
Messages
10,544
during the scotrail refurb of 322s they had DMU s running to north berwick. Me and a mate were the only people on the 158 which had a 170 in front and the run, non stop back to EDB0was fabb!
 

steamybrian

Established Member
Joined
26 Nov 2010
Messages
2,003
Location
Kent
Today I was the only passenger on the
1534 Ellesmere Port to Helsby

the return train 1548 Helsby to Ellesmere Port had one passenger plus myself...!
 

WestCoast

Established Member
Joined
19 Jun 2010
Messages
5,665
Location
South Yorkshire
Today I was the only passenger on the
1534 Ellesmere Port to Helsby

the return train 1548 Helsby to Ellesmere Port had one passenger plus myself...!

I have had that one to myself, as I stated in my OP. Might get busier now, with those seeking "empty trains". :lol:
 

MrPosh

Member
Joined
21 Mar 2011
Messages
51
A number of times from Spalding to Sleaford. The train would fill at Peterborough and empty at Spalding (except for me and on occasions some others) and then fill up again at Sleaford for the journey onto Lincoln.
 

Mutant Lemming

Established Member
Joined
8 Aug 2011
Messages
3,191
Location
London
Am wondering if I hold the record for the longest complete journey of a whole train to myself (am sure someone will prove otherwise). Some time back in the olden days of joined up transport there were delays to the cross channel ferries (would say this was around 83 or 84) and the ferry I was catching from Calais had a booked connecting train from Dover Western Docks to London. Most of the foot passengers had given up on a ferry running and there weren't even many cars on board. On arrival at Dover Western Docks around 11pm I was the only foot passenger to head for a 12 coach train which then ran non-stop to Victoria (didn't hang about can't remember how long it took but it was a lot quicker than normal). Felt a bit like royalty having my 'own' train. A similar thing happened a few years later and they just arranged a taxi back to London on that occasion. Doubt you'd even get that now.
 

mmac

Member
Joined
17 Aug 2011
Messages
15
Location
Glasgow, Scotland
Quite often if I'm getting the 2212 from Glasgow to Stranraer via Kilmarnock to get to Ayr, I'm the only passenger on it for a majority of my ride, a few people going to Stewarton or Barrhead but it's not ever busy. Other times on some Ayr-Glasgow and reverse services, usually the train before the last train, where there is nobody between Ayr and Troon or Irvine.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top