• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Have you ever been the only passenger on a train?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eng274

Member
Joined
19 Aug 2010
Messages
796
This seems relatable enough that it should be in the same topic, so I shall also ask myself (and others!) the question, have you ever been the only passenger on a bus?

The Lothian Buses N37 trips into town are scarcely loaded (the Penicuik-bound trips are a different story!). But on one occasion between Loanhead and Princes St, not a soul got on/off the bus, and I was the only one on board. Felt even more awkward knowing I was the only one on board, as the upstairs deck had been cordoned off too!
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

bAzTNM

Member
Joined
17 May 2011
Messages
342
I've had a few. All of them being Springburn to Bellgrove mid-morning (10am+). A very odd feeling.
 

quak_C

Member
Joined
28 Mar 2011
Messages
60
ive been the only passenger on a 318 on the 2315 Glasgow Central to Largs after johnstone a couple of years ago
 

me123

Established Member
Joined
9 Jul 2007
Messages
8,510
Yes. On a Pendolino! During the heavy WCML works between Carlisle and Preston, there was an additional service from Glasgow to Carlisle, presumably to balance stock out or something similar, on a Saturday morning. It was very poorly advertised. I found it online the day beforehand, and didn't realise that it didn't normally run. Turned out that I was the only person on the entire train! I've also been on my own on Motherwell-Cumbernauld services, but that's not quite as surreal being a 156 (as it was then). I was very possibly on my own during the very early days of Airdrie-Bathgate (when it was 1tph with only Blackridge open). I definitely had the carriage to myself, but I don't know about people in other carriages.
 

exile

Established Member
Joined
16 Jul 2011
Messages
1,342
I've had this a few times, but not recently. Last time was the last train to Ribblehead a few years ago. I think the staff were surprised to have even one passenger - the only reason the train went to Ribblehead was so it could reverse at Blea Moor.
 

brompton rail

Member
Joined
28 Oct 2009
Messages
754
Location
Doncaster
05:52 Doncaster to Selby Northern service rarely carries passengers. Last time I used it the conductor said I'll go and tell the driver 'cause we don't normally get anyone. No really useful onward connections at Selby.
 

Bristol Rover

Member
Joined
25 Oct 2009
Messages
82
Had an entire FGW HST to myself last year! Last train back from Worcester to Bristol, but due to engineering works it had to divert via Swindon, then reverse back! Took about 2 hours so no one was on it, the Guard kindly invited me to sit in First Class.
 

Mark_re

Member
Joined
7 Oct 2010
Messages
133
Location
Winchester
I've been the only one on a train and platform. A midweek evening return from Chathill to the Toon. Boarded the 156 at Acklington, alone as far as Morpeth.
 

bILLOO

Member
Joined
6 Jul 2011
Messages
311
Been the only one on the once-a-day Stratford - Cheshunt via Seven Sisters train. Does that still run nowadays?
 

mm333

Member
Joined
28 Aug 2008
Messages
776
Location
53.8331°N 1.7734°W
Not an entire train, but being the only person in the quiet carriage in a dragged Pendolino over the S&C was pretty cool. Was able to take lots of pictures flitting from one side to the other, which isn't usually possible on a busy 158!
 

gnolife

Established Member
Joined
4 Nov 2010
Messages
2,047
Location
Johnstone
I've had the 21:46 Manchester Ox Road to Wilmslow via Manchester Airpt to myself between Burnage and Manchester Airpt - a 323
 
Last edited:

Yew

Established Member
Joined
12 Mar 2011
Messages
7,244
Location
UK
I took the early morning service between Mansfield and worksop all to myself a few times, a whole 156+153
 

battersea

Member
Joined
29 May 2011
Messages
22
Location
London
I have been the only passenger once a year or so ago on the Kenssington Olympia - Wandsworth road service.

I took this route a few weeks ago and was also the only person on the train. The staff on the platform kept asking if I was sure this was the train I wanted. The guard told me I was the second passenger that week (it was a Friday). He also seemed to think I was on the wrong train, reminding me that "Wandsworth Road was in the middle of no where."
 

Drsatan

Established Member
Joined
24 Aug 2009
Messages
1,887
Location
Land of the Sprinters
I don't think I've ever had an entire train to myself, but on a couple of occasions I've had one coach of the 158 used on the SuO 0835 Romsey - Salisbury via Eastleigh to myself as far as Eastleigh.

On one occasion I had a carriage to myself south of Bristol on the 1805 service from Manchester to Plymouth.
 

43106

Member
Joined
6 Jul 2008
Messages
384
Location
South-ish Edinburgh
I don't know if this counts, as it was an LUL train. On a Sunday, I returned to London from Edinburgh via GNER, but my train ripped down OHLE between Northallerton and Thirsk. I had to switch trains at York and arrived at Kings Cross at about 11.50 pm. I got my LUL ticket, and the salesman said that getting to Stanmore wouldn't be a problem. I got a Metropolitan to Wembley Park and had to wait for nearly 10 minutes, getting more agitated by the minute! The Jubilee line train eventually turned up and I got on. When I arrived at Stanmore, I looked back - no-one else was on the platform! Mind you, it was about 12.25 in the morning!
 

tom1649

Member
Joined
5 Jul 2010
Messages
990
I once had an entire 144 to myself from Brighouse to Huddersfield. It would have been back in November 2004, so ATN days. I remember the wheels kept slipping on the train as the rail conditions were so poor and it took twice as long as usual to get to Huddersfield.
 
Last edited:

snail

Established Member
Joined
16 Jun 2011
Messages
1,911
Location
t'North
1205 Lancaster to Morecambe one Sunday. I just missed the 1200 Heysham via Morecambe so had the following train all to myself.
 

317666

Established Member
Joined
4 Sep 2009
Messages
1,775
Location
East Anglia
I've managed to be the only passenger on a 153 before! The 06:43 from Cambridge to Ipswich back in April 2010, I was the only passenger on board until Kennett.
 

Liam

Established Member
Joined
29 Dec 2010
Messages
1,245
I've had a Scotrail 170 to myself before.

When Scotrail did Markinch to Edinburgh stoppers which left Markinch about 10 minutes after the Aberdeen-Edinburgh fast service. I think signalling problems down the coast meant the train was diverted around the Fife Circle, non stop via Cowdenbeath to Inverkeithing. Had a good chat with the guard/TE/whatever they're called now.
 

district

Member
Joined
4 Aug 2011
Messages
1,116
Location
SE16
Yeah, the 2136 Southern Service to Ashford International from St. Leonards Warrior Square. Just me, the driver and the guard.
 

David Dunning

Member
Joined
27 Oct 2009
Messages
210
Location
York
surpisingly the old 0140 Newcastle to York which i used three times a week for two years was rarely empty . I had it to myself the whole journey on only one occasion
although i was alone between darlo and york more frequently ,
This was in 1997/8
 

SS4

Established Member
Joined
30 Jan 2011
Messages
8,589
Location
Birmingham
Not a whole train but I have had the whole of first class to myself on the 0603 ex EUS until Rugby (I was the only one who got breakfast :D).

I've had carriages to myself on a 323 on the XCity line when it's been rushed to [stn]FOK[/stn] and possibly the whole train
 

oversteer

Member
Joined
26 Jan 2011
Messages
742
I've been the only passenger on a Central line train at West Ruislip. I could see down both ends. Not for long though, a couple of people got on at Ruislip Gardens :D
 

MrJamesBrown

Member
Joined
16 Nov 2009
Messages
135
Been the only person on the City line in Cardiff a few times. Normally, if I catch the train from Radyr to Fairwater
 

DelayRepay

Established Member
Joined
21 May 2011
Messages
2,929
I once had a rail replacement bus to myself between Manchester and Sheffield, in the early hours. The driver dropped me outside my house (which was on the way) saving me a taxi ride.
 

klewer

Member
Joined
21 May 2009
Messages
122
I've had a 321 to myself once - the GEML was knackered (surprise surprise) and I'd just alighted from a packed service at Shenfield due to the heat. Popped out of the station to grab a bottle of water and by the time I got back NXEA had decided to lay on an additional service starting there - had the entire unit to myself all the way to Witham. I was actually sad enough to walk the entire train as I couldn't believe I was the only person on there!

Was quite weird to say the least - used the loo whilst on the train and was struggling with a freshly vandalised toilet door lock that wouldn't work - only dawned on me there was no need to lock it once I'd left the train!
 

AlexS

Established Member
Joined
7 Jun 2005
Messages
2,886
Location
Just outside the Black Country
I had the 07xx Codsall to New Street to myself as far as Wolverhampton on a New Years Day a few years ago, with the exception of one guy in the other coach (ATW 158) who was unconscious in the middle of the floor asleep with the guard unconcernedly stepping over him. Also had the 0510 Loughborough to Norwich to myself as far as Melton. I also had the Town Car in Stourbridge to myself once as a 153.
 

Martin_1981

Member
Joined
15 Jul 2011
Messages
274
I was the only passenger on a Class 142 once from Exeter St Davids to St James Park one July Sunday in 2009, it was the Sunday Okehampton-St James Park Train. A couple of months ago, I was the only passenger in my coach on a HST after Taunton when returning from Bath to Exeter (2033 Paddington-Exeter train)
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top