I've only ever had one problem with a train calling (or not) at a request stop.
Quite a few years ago, I bailed at the now closed Elsham station between Scunthorpe & Barnetby. It was mid winter, dark and precipitating persistantly
I had around 25 minutes between trains, (at the time, I was trying to visit all of the UK stations) & given the weather, I got across to the other platform as quickly as possible & into a dry(ish) corner of the waiting shelter.
25 minutes came & went with no sign of a train. After about 40 minutes, I could hear a train & I went out onto the platform & held my hand out. Unfortunately, it didn't stop & I watched the tail lights drift off into the darkness. Given that was the last train of the day, together with the weather, I then started to wonder how on earth I was going to escape from there (no mobile phones in those days).
After five minutes of pondering, I was just about to set out to find a phonebox when I saw those rear lights again - the train had seen me & was setting back to the station. Greatfully, I jumped on, only to be harranged by the conductor who tried telling me that it was a "set down only" request stop.
In my defence, I showed him the GB timetable, pointed to the relevant table & told him that there was no mention of that in the timetable & that being the case, how would I be expevted to know!

He went away muttering under his breath.
I suspect that given the very low useage of the station, (the reason for it's closure), the train was used to sailing through - especially as it was running late on this occasion.