• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Hastings Diesels - The South Devon Coaster, today 16th June.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Joined
15 Apr 2016
Messages
18,960
Location
Devon
Afternoon folks.

Does anyone know if this ran today, and if so does anyone have a link to RTT for timings?
It seems to be beyond my skill set...
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Joined
6 Aug 2009
Messages
44,432
Location
Yorks
It certainly did - had a nice brisk run along the Berks & Hants mainline !
 

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Joined
15 Apr 2016
Messages
18,960
Location
Devon
It certainly did - had a nice brisk run along the Berks & Hants mainline !
Are you on it Rob? I’m thinking of popping down and getting a photo at St David’s.
 

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Joined
15 Apr 2016
Messages
18,960
Location
Devon
Look out for a tall hairy bloke...
 

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Joined
15 Apr 2016
Messages
18,960
Location
Devon
Great to meet you Yorksrob. I must say I was green with envy listening to it thumping off into the distance.
What a fantastic machine.
Nick
 

Ash Bridge

Established Member
Joined
17 Mar 2014
Messages
4,225
Location
Stockport
Great to meet you Yorksrob. I must say I was green with envy listening to it thumping off into the distance.
What a fantastic machine.
Nick

Was that 'Southern' green Mr C?

Bet that made a great sight & sound at St David btw.
 

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Joined
15 Apr 2016
Messages
18,960
Location
Devon
Was that 'Southern' green Mr C?

Bet that made a great sight & sound at St David btw.
Definitely a railway shade of green.
Honestly he was sitting in a wonderfully comfortable looking coach sipping a pint of real ale and looking extremely relaxed about life. :lol:
I’ll send you the clip I took of it in a mo.
 

Ash Bridge

Established Member
Joined
17 Mar 2014
Messages
4,225
Location
Stockport
Definitely a railway shade of green.
Honestly he was sitting in a wonderfully comfortable looking coach sipping a pint of real ale and looking extremely relaxed about life. :lol:
I’ll send you the clip I took of it in a mo.

That seems to fit the description of the yorksrob I've had the fortune to meet in locations such as Huddersfield and York etc. ;)
 

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Joined
6 Aug 2009
Messages
44,432
Location
Yorks
Great to meet you Yorksrob. I must say I was green with envy listening to it thumping off into the distance.
What a fantastic machine.
Nick

It was great to meet you over a droplight as well Mr Cowley.

It is indeed a fantastic machine. We´ve just been held at Westbury for several minutes on account of having caught up the InterCity 125 to Paddington. It was a good run !
 

Ash Bridge

Established Member
Joined
17 Mar 2014
Messages
4,225
Location
Stockport
Or misfortune ! :lol:

Aw, I wouldn't have said that Rob! Enjoy the rest of the journey back, sounds like a wonderful day out and if they ever plan one from Waterloo to Okehampton and Barnstaple at some point in the future I'll be doing my utmost to be onboard!
 

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Joined
15 Apr 2016
Messages
18,960
Location
Devon
One of the penalties of living somewhere that people want to visit is that very few railtours start from down here unfortunately.
 

E759

Member
Joined
7 Dec 2017
Messages
683
Location
Sussex
Did anyone mention this must be the cheapest buffet car running on the network today? A glorious run into Reading in the evening sun parallel to the canal eating my fish and chip supper. A fantastic experience on a superb bit of traction.
 

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Joined
6 Aug 2009
Messages
44,432
Location
Yorks
Aw, I wouldn't have said that Rob! Enjoy the rest of the journey back, sounds like a wonderful day out and if they ever plan one from Waterloo to Okehampton and Barnstaple at some point in the future I'll be doing my utmost to be onboard!

Yes, that would definitely be on my wishlist (along with a recreation of the famous long thin drag railtour up the S&C). It would be great to join you on one.
 

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Joined
6 Aug 2009
Messages
44,432
Location
Yorks
Did anyone mention this must be the cheapest buffet car running on the network today? A glorious run into Reading in the evening sun parallel to the canal eating my fish and chip supper. A fantastic experience on a superb bit of traction.

Very reasonably priced and always well stocked !.
 

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Joined
15 Apr 2016
Messages
18,960
Location
Devon
Did anyone mention this must be the cheapest buffet car running on the network today? A glorious run into Reading in the evening sun parallel to the canal eating my fish and chip supper. A fantastic experience on a superb bit of traction.
Sounds like heaven. What sort of speeds can 1001 attain out on the mainline?
Another question - will they always keep the standard width (CEP?) carriage, or there any other surviving narrow bodied coaches still around?
 

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Joined
6 Aug 2009
Messages
44,432
Location
Yorks
Sounds like heaven. What sort of speeds can 1001 attain out on the mainline?
Another question - will they always keep the standard width (CEP?) carriage, or there any other surviving narrow bodied coaches still around?

They actually own two complete units at least plus an extra motor coach. The CEP carriage was originally a bit of a stop gap I think, from the days when they used to rent out to TOC´s, but has since proved quite popular on the railtours so is likely to be staying in the formation (It has a certain nostalgic charm for some of us of a certain age :lol: ).
 

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Joined
15 Apr 2016
Messages
18,960
Location
Devon
Yes, that would definitely be on my wishlist (along with a recreation of the famous long thin drag railtour up the S&C). It would be great to join you on one.
If an Okehampton run happens I’ll try and come along (even if it does mean travelling past my house four times in one day).
I was just thinking of ‘The Long Thin Drag’ earlier. That tour really captured people’s imagination. I was trying to work out whether the current two motor coaches were the same ones that were added to the other two units that went to Carlisle? It looks like the tour was 14 coaches altogether, the three powered cars on one end must’ve sounded wonderful.
 

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Joined
15 Apr 2016
Messages
18,960
Location
Devon
They actually own two complete units at least plus an extra motor coach. The CEP carriage was originally a bit of a stop gap I think, from the days when they used to rent out to TOC´s, but has since proved quite popular on the railtours so is likely to be staying in the formation (It has a certain nostalgic charm for some of us of a certain age :lol: ).
I was thinking about that after I posted. It’s got history in its own right now hasn’t it. Don’t see many hopper windows like that these days...
 

E759

Member
Joined
7 Dec 2017
Messages
683
Location
Sussex
Sounds like heaven. What sort of speeds can 1001 attain out on the mainline?
Another question - will they always keep the standard width (CEP?) carriage, or there any other surviving narrow bodied coaches still around?

The GPS brigade tell me we’ve doing 80 today.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top