Was wondering if the inside of Leeds station roof has ever been cleaned since it was constructed over 20 years ago?
The white steel work is absolutely filthy & piles of pigeon sh*te over walk ways.
I don’t know if it’s regarded as coming under the Workplace regs.Was wondering if the inside of Leeds station roof has ever been cleaned since it was constructed over 20 years ago?
The white steel work is absolutely filthy & piles of pigeon sh*te over walk ways.
I think that is probably indicative of cost and construction norms at the time of the work. I think it would be don't differently these days.I couldn’t tell you if it’s ever been cleaned since it went up but the biggest mistake was using grey sheeting on the roof instead of glass (or clear equivalent) to really brighten the place up. Yes it’s better than the dark shed it replaced but it could have been so much better.
I had a job interview with the station designer years ago and we talked a bit about it. Same old story - built to a budget, cost overruns elsewhere meant savings had to be made - particularly with the extractor units. Hence the build up of diesel grime.I think that is probably indicative of cost and construction norms at the time of the work. I think it would be don't differently these days.
standard!I had a job interview with the station designer years ago and we talked a bit about it. Same old story - built to a budget, cost overruns elsewhere meant savings had to be made - particularly with the extractor units. Hence the build up of diesel grime.
That choice was apparently very deliberate. There were concerns that south facing "clerestories" would have generated excessive heat under the roof in summer. Instead of which we have an icebox through the winter.it would have let in more light if the glass panels had faced south instead of north - cost would have been the same
Many thanksThe end of platform 6 sits furthest out at the west end and means everything except the York - Leeds stoppers (they normally terminate in 7 at the opposite end) is viewable.
Yes I agree; I have no idea why it receives so much disdain. The 1960s rebuild was truly awful, and the current trainshed is a massive improvement.It's not a bad trainshed by any stretch. Parts could do with a lock off paint, but it has been over twenty years !
Yes I agree; I have no idea why it receives so much disdain. The 1960s rebuild was truly awful, and the current trainshed is a massive improvement.
I know the bridge could be a bit wider, but the only really bad thing about City is the atrocious “access” to P17. This really should have been sorted when the Southern entrance was built.
The bridge is more than wide enough. It's the coffee stalls, lift shafts and other obstructions that are the problem.I know the bridge could be a bit wider,
True.The bridge is more than wide enough. It's the coffee stalls, lift shafts and other obstructions that are the problem.
100% agree with you on this, even on a fairly bright day it’s still quite dark in thereit would have let in more light if the glass panels had faced south instead of north - cost would have been the same
yes, it must the coldest place to wait for a train in the uk, it just gobbles up the wind from the west, chills it and then blasts it through every corner of the station, it’s almost like it was designed to be a giant chiller… there are plenty of bars just outside the station these days though if you want somewhere warm to waitInstead of which we have an icebox through the winter.
The lifts are obviously essentials so you can’t move those easily (yes, they should have been on the side of the bridge to start with rather than in the centre but too late now). The kiosk are also plonked right in the middle which has the effect of making the bridge feel half of the actual width. What is nice about the current layout is there’s a great view to the west of all the comings and goings (if you like that kind of thing).The bridge is more than wide enough. It's the coffee stalls, lift shafts and other obstructions that are the problem.
Well the small toilets I’ve been in are certainly very smelly!] I think it’s better to have toilets dotted around than one big smelly one. You have to know your way around to locate them though.
I don't really see how that would fit without causing signal sighting issues. You wouldn't be able to get any more restrictive than the existing overbridge outline, so I doubt it would block out more wind than that?I have always wondered why they don’t look at putting in some vertical glass/similar panelling at the west end of the station to curb the prevailing wind.
Signal sighting might kill the idea to be fair!I don't really see how that would fit without causing signal sighting issues. You wouldn't be able to get any more restrictive than the existing overbridge outline, so I doubt it would block out more wind than that?