• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Harrow & Wealdstone to Bedford via Bletchley

Status
Not open for further replies.

laphroaig

Member
Joined
5 Sep 2011
Messages
36
Location
North West London
Looking at fares for this journey on Saturday for an Off Peak Day Return with Network Card I'm finding a £15.85 fare.

Looking at London Terminals to Bedford I'm finding a £12.55 OPDR, obviously suggesting trains from St Pancras, but when I play with the 'via' options putting in Bletchley this fare still comes up, suggesting trains out of Euston.

Since the terms seem to say that a break of journey is allowed for both outward and return legs, simple question, may I buy the cheaper fare and start short at Harrow & Wealdstone?
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Joined
4 Feb 2010
Messages
24,465
Incorrect ticket code.

The £12.55 CDR (Off-Peak Day Return - derived from the old Cheap Day Return) has no restriction on break of journey and is routed Any Permitted. Map LM permits travel from Euston via Watford Junction so you are allowed to join short at Harrow & Wealdstone.
 

laphroaig

Member
Joined
5 Sep 2011
Messages
36
Location
North West London
Thanks, I appreciate you going to the trouble of checking that, now if I'm queried at the barriers or on board I'll be confident in arguing it's a valid route, good to save a few quid, every little helps, as they say..

Forgive me my incorrect ticket code, I'm not familiar with such things, I just abbreviated the words in the previous sentence to save re-typing them.
 

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Joined
4 Feb 2010
Messages
24,465
That's cool. It serves more as information for others than a criticism. Glad to be of help.

As usual, if there is trouble along the way, don't hand over any money at any stage. Accept an Unpaid Fares Notice and come back here. There will be plenty of people capable of helping you overturn it.
 

Mike395

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Joined
23 May 2009
Messages
3,402
Location
Bedford
...although just to add, I dont think you'll have an issue - I've used the return portion of a Bedford-London Terminals CDR via Bletchley a few times when I've fancied a change in scenery and never had an issue - LM must surely get some of the ORCATS revenue anyway :)
 

34D

Established Member
Joined
9 Feb 2011
Messages
6,048
Location
Yorkshire
Incorrect ticket code.

The £12.55 CDR (Off-Peak Day Return - derived from the old Cheap Day Return) has no restriction on break of journey and is routed Any Permitted. Map LM permits travel from Euston via Watford Junction so you are allowed to join short at Harrow & Wealdstone.

Does the map allow via Bletchley and Ridgmont though, or just via Garston?
 

north

Member
Joined
23 Dec 2009
Messages
104
It's valid via either :)

Do you mind explaining why?

Bedford - London is allowed by maps LB, MM and LM.

LM shows the Euston - Bletchley - Bedford route.
MM shows the direct St Pancras - Bedford route.
LB is like MM for Bedford but includes the Thameslink stations (including Kings Cross Thameslink!)

Unless the route is within 3 miles of St Pancras - Bedford I don't see how it's valid to go via St Albans Abbey.
 

Mike395

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Joined
23 May 2009
Messages
3,402
Location
Bedford
I stand corrected - I was getting confused with another route I looked up, apologies (I erroneously remembered LB+LM as being a valid route)
 

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Joined
12 Oct 2010
Messages
32,939
Location
Fenny Stratford
...although just to add, I dont think you'll have an issue - I've used the return portion of a Bedford-London Terminals CDR via Bletchley a few times when I've fancied a change in scenery and never had an issue - LM must surely get some of the ORCATS revenue anyway :)

I have doen that the other way around also. Never had a problem with St Pancras - Bedford- Bletchley
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top