• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Hamburg

Status
Not open for further replies.

sonic2009

Established Member
Joined
19 Jan 2010
Messages
5,048
Location
Crewe
I'm off to Hamburg in October. Now I'll have around 4 hours after I've been to Minutar Wonderland and I've bought one of those Hamburg AB day tickets, I plan to do the 62 Ferry, what else could I fit in? Can you use the ticket of ICE services that stop within those rings?
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Joined
20 Oct 2014
Messages
113,796
Location
"Marston Vale mafia"
I'm off to Hamburg in October. Now I'll have around 4 hours after I've been to Minutar Wonderland and I've bought one of those Hamburg AB day tickets, I plan to do the 62 Ferry, what else could I fit in? Can you use the ticket of ICE services that stop within those rings?

Unfortunately not, it's RB/RE/S only, but in practice nobody will care if you do, there are about as many ticket checks on the Verbindungsbahn as there are between Manchester Piccadilly and Manchester Oxford Road, and no DB station is barriered.

One particular recommendation - ride the U3 (Ringlinie) all the way round, despite being an U-Bahn it's mostly elevated (US style) and is a nice way to see the city, its suburbs and the port.
 

gordonthemoron

Established Member
Joined
4 Sep 2006
Messages
6,727
Location
Milton Keynes
Heiliggeistfeld Mk1 Flak Tower next to the FC St Pauli Millerntor stadium. There is also another Mk2 Flak Tower on the other side of the Alte Elbe Tunel (which is also worth walking through)
 

317666

Established Member
Joined
4 Sep 2009
Messages
1,775
Location
East Anglia
If you like older EMUs, look no further than the S21 with its BR472s - sadly they are on borrowed time. For electric locos, the RB81 local service to Ahrensburg or Bad Oldesloe is hauled by BR112s (rarely BR143s), often with a mix of old and new double decker coaches. It looks like you can get as far as Ahrensburg-Gartenholz on a Zones AB ticket: http://www.hvv.de/pdf/plaene/hvv_tarifplan_usar.pdf

I'd second a ride on the U3, there may still be some of the older DT3 units in operation, although they've largely been replaced by the new DT5s.

When you say you have around four hours, I hope you're allowing a similar amount of time to look round Miniaturwunderland - it really is huge!
 
Last edited:

StephenHunter

Established Member
Joined
22 Jul 2017
Messages
2,946
Location
London
I'm off to Hamburg in October. Now I'll have around 4 hours after I've been to Minutar Wonderland and I've bought one of those Hamburg AB day tickets, I plan to do the 62 Ferry, what else could I fit in? Can you use the ticket of ICE services that stop within those rings?

No, but it should be entirely possible to buy a separate ICE ticket.
 

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Joined
20 Oct 2014
Messages
113,796
Location
"Marston Vale mafia"
No, but it should be entirely possible to buy a separate ICE ticket.

I *though* (might be wrong) that they were officially pick up/set down only. But again, nobody really cares in my observation, it isn't obsessive like Watford, it's just to avoid crowding out and because of the financial structure of DB.
 

Ianno87

Veteran Member
Joined
3 May 2015
Messages
15,214
I *though* (might be wrong) that they were officially pick up/set down only. But again, nobody really cares in my observation, it isn't obsessive like Watford, it's just to avoid crowding out and because of the financial structure of DB.

Yes, through ICEs to Altona are officially pick up/set Down at Hauptbahnhof.

(Boards read "Bitte Nicht Einsteigen" at Hauptbahnhof, and calls at Hbf are not advertised on departures from Altona)

There's also a lovely park to have a stroll through to the east of the Expo/Fernseturm or I'd recommend a harbour boat tour from Langdungsbrücke
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top