• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

H-O-W - The Jolly Grid railtour report

Status
Not open for further replies.

heart-of-wessex

Established Member
Joined
11 Jun 2005
Messages
3,087
Location
Trowbridge
So, my last railtour was way back in January on the Pathfinder trip around Mersey, and with such a long gap I was starting to slip away a bit in regards to track bashing so really I needed another tour to boost me up a bit, and it did! But I was hoping to have passed my driving test last Monday but I didn't, but thankfully I got a lift arranged to take me to/from Westbury.
You might think it's strange but I did minimal research on this tour. I knew what traction was booked and roughly where we were going, but that's it.
I avoided the threads online about what loco's were on so I could be surprised, and on Real Time Trains I looked at our booked pick up stops to see what ciggy breaks were available, but that's it. I wanted to be surprised on the day on the loops, crossovers and roads we are booked to do.

I woke up at around 04:45, got dressed, had a coffee, breakfast and packed my Quails in my bag. I nearly set off without my sandwiches (all day breakfast trio sarnies from Asda) and arrived at the station at around 05:50. I had a quick smoke outside and noticed the lead loco on the tour was 66122. Racking my brains I think it's required but I'd check on my Railmiles later.

The charter is in P1 rather than P3, and I look for my coach, Coach G, which is located next to Coach E (no Coach F?). The handy thing was Coach G is the buffet coach :D
My travelling companion was sat at the table, so we broke the ice and got chatting, he came up from Christchurch this morning, but I'm sure that wasn't far in comparison to some other people who might have come far for the Too Early AM time from Westbury.
We departed on time at 06:06 and plunged into darkness. Here my travel companion spilled out that 56096#4, 60017 and 66051 were out later..THANKS FOR THE SPOILER WARNING!

Though it did throw me a bit, a different 66 back!? Loco change on the way up is at Bescot, and the 66 leg is from Toton on the way back, so should be a different one. I'm used to the 'trunking' 66 being the same machine back so at least we are picking one up elsewhere. Apparently 051 was fixed as it hadn't worked a tour since 2000 or something so it's highly likely to be required. But as always it might change.
Talking of..I check my rail miles and 66122 is required, woot!

Soon we pass through Trowbridge (where I started this morning!), down the Melksham line and picked up at Chippenham. Two more joined our table but they certainly didn't win the chatty award.
After leaving Chippenham, it dawned on me that it's the long drag to Swindon in the dark, and it's going to be some time until it gets light. It didn't help that when mentioning it, it was pointed out that the return will be in dark from around New Mills Central to Westbury :o That will be exciting..:rolleyes:

On arrival at Swindon we had a few minutes to allow the 0459 from Swansea to Paddington to go in front..except it didn't as it was cancelled throughout :o OUCH!!! Anyone making the connection for this tour from Wales would be pretty screwed, only option would be racing up to Birmingham to pick it up there. To think I used to do the 0459 from Swansea if I was doing an overnight to get to the tour, I'd be annoyed if it was canned!
So having let the invisible Padd train, we set off into the deep dark wonders again to the Challow loops, and what a drag that was. In the end I followed our train on Open Train Times live maps, though I did wonder if we would go into the loop, as our train was approaching Challow, but the HST due to pass us had only left Swindon...hmm...
But sure enough we went into the loop on time and took a steady pace, until we got to the red signal halfway down the loop. For some reason we didn't stop at the signal at the end of the loop.

Thinking we had a long wait, I noticed on the live map that the HST was already fast approaching Challow! JESUS that was quick :o:o Took us what felt like a Month and Sunday's to get here!!
The HST cleared the signal block past the loop...then shortly cleared another block but we were still at the second red. Nothing else behind. I said out loud 'Hmm. Route is free, we are still at a red' and literally just as I finished it, the route was set to the end of the loop, and then set onto the mainline. My companion said 'signalman probably thinks it's a freight train'. Class 1 freight train?

Anyway that set us back to 3 minutes late, and crossed over to the Didcot Curve, but unfortunately it wasn't via the Down Goods Line. Then we slipped to 5 late up towards Oxford where we had a Paddington - Oxford express hot on our heels (which explained the reason why we couldn't call there to pick up). We sped through Oxford on the through line, which I thought was required but it wasn't, nor was the Up Through. I did wonder where I done those, but I guessed it may have been the HST diverts to Paddington via Banbury last year, or the year before.

Just after Oxford the brakes were on, we caught up with a Voyager. Not normal to actually catch up a Voyager but it had not long left Oxford running around 3 minutes late, but we were still running 4 minutes late. At least it was getting light now, and could see it was very frosty outside, but still it wasn't as exciting scenery wise, probably because we weren't motoring along.
Our next pick up point was Banbury, and our delay time was abolished as we arrived on time at 0810, so with a few minutes to spare I got out for a couple of shots

Chiltern 165020 by tubemad, on Flickr

DBS 66122 by tubemad, on Flickr


To Be Continued..
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

noddy1878

Established Member
Joined
23 Jun 2010
Messages
1,473
Location
Plymouth
I did this tour and the route was the only thing I knew about. Had no idea about the traction and no one around me knew either, well if they did they didn't spill any beans! I woke at 0300 to make sure I was at Westbury on time! Was a harsh time to be getting up it must be said!

Look forward to the rest of the write up!
 

Kite159

Veteran Member
Joined
27 Jan 2014
Messages
22,859
Location
West of Andover
*waves from the posh seats* ;)

The XC was delayed due to a late running Oxford stopper in front after Didcot (itself delayed by a late running 165 towards Malvern)

Agreed about doing the tour in the dark, it isn't the most fun. I trust you know about the soap on the windows trick to stop them steaming up?
 

heart-of-wessex

Established Member
Joined
11 Jun 2005
Messages
3,087
Location
Trowbridge
Blimey! 3am!

Kite - I've heard about it I think, not sure what the you are supposed to do? I wasn't by the window so relied on the person next to me who was scrubbing the window with his arm and opening the quarter light now and again.

Continued...

So where was I..oh yes Banbury. So as the platforms were an ice rink, I attempted a fast-slow walk back to coach G when someone banged on the window, and it was one of my friends from Northwood, so I got on his coach and spent sometime waffling. Time shot by having had a catch up so next thing I knew we were at Leamington Spa then Coventry where I then went back to my seat to have my now cold coffee. I noticed that we finally got a tour brochure too, so I got Real Time Trains up and filled in the actual times in the timings section up to Coventry.

Arrival at Birmingham International was at the required Platform 1 loop, bonus! We arrived at 09.21, so I bailed off and shot off to the nearest exit. I was unfamiliar with the station to be honest, I've only ever once been from the airport to the station, so I had no idea if there was a street exit nearby, but after a quick power walk to the concourse I found an exit, so I was straight out for a ciggy, panicking as always in case the train set off with my stuff onboard! I looked at the time, 09.35, I have plenty of time but I still shot back to platform 1 just in case! I'm one of these funny people who won't even use a lift in instances like this just in case that conks out! I one plane required for sight too, Ryanair EI-DAI for those remotely interested.
Departure was right time at 09.43, and that was the last pick up point. We then set off to Bescot, turning right at Stechford (required in this direction according to my Quail, not sure that's right!) Aston, Perry Bar and Tame Bridge. I also took the opportunity of another coffee run, one of about a hundred in the day :lol:

We approached Bescot and wondered where we were going to end up, as apparently we might be going into the yard rather than one of the reception roads. In the end we took the back road, the U&D Through Sdg 2, as it was the furthest track around the yard it was very easy to work out what track you were on, as someone else pointed out. I did try to get the quarter light to open, but it was very stiff and wouldn't open far, but just managed to get a shot of 66761, and one of 56094, the only time I'd get a picture of it.

GBRf 66761 by tubemad, on Flickr

Colas 56094 by tubemad, on Flickr

We arrived about 4 minutes early, so there wasn't much to see. Couldn't see the mainline and couldn't do any plane spotting as it was too cloudy. All I managed was to sit there and stare at the relic OTA wagons or whatever they were. Working out the track going out of the yard was pretty easy too.
With the Grid on, we set off a couple of minutes early at 10:48. This was now officially my first Class 56 on the mainline and my third Class 56 for haulage (Only done 56301 & 56006 before, with a total class mileage of about 6 miles :oops:). Winning track out of the yard to the Walsall line was done, then we set off up the Cannock Chase line to Rugeley. Can't remember the last time I did this track, it was some Central Trains unit, probably a 170 if they ran those up there then.
It was a cracking run too, non-stop run up to Rugeley, I expected us to catch up with a unit, but actually we had a clear run throughout which in the end saw us pass Rugeley Trent Valley (RTV) 10 minutes early. As we passed RTV, I was already at the buffet getting yet another coffee. We were just going over a short piece of required track, the bit from RTV platform 1 to the Down TV Slow, and a required crossover from the Down TV Slow to the Down TV Fast. We were guessing that we'd be held at Colwich Junction, but we went straight on to the Stoke-on-Trent route, now running 14 early.

This was another bit of territory that I don't know. I especially didn't know that Barlaston and Wedgwood were closed, so that's going to be a long drive to get those stations in the book! With our early running, we took an unscheduled turn into the Sideway Up Passenger Loop by the Axiom Rail site, something I didn't know existed, and the loop was very much required. Managed to get a ropey record shot of 08460 too

RSS 08460 by tubemad, on Flickr

Having let a Pendo by, we set off to Stoke. I sort of lost direction on the approach to Stoke-on-Trent, but I managed to sort of make sense of it (problem when using a Quail in an area you don't know much about). Arrival and departure there was 3 minutes late, but still it could have been a lot later. A lot of passengers on the Voyager on the other platform looked like they wished they had this set!
The 56 certainly shifted off the mark, though as I couldn't hear it 6 coaches back it felt like it was just a shed up front, just needed to remind myself that you are actually being hauled by a 56, not that I saw it being bolted on so maybe the 66 was up front :lol: (I know the grid was on before anyone starts!)

The next bit of required track was the down goods through to Grange Jn. It was pointed out to me 'There's the site of the old Etruria station'...Etruria station is closed!?! :o When the heck did that happen!? I see that the platforms have gone and there's nothing left of the station, well I didn't know that, I must get out more! :lol:

The rest was a nice sprint up to Stockport, a cracking run that was, and I actually thought we were going via Styal but it was Macclesfield, as I say I am hopeless at this area!

To be Continued...
 

Kite159

Veteran Member
Joined
27 Jan 2014
Messages
22,859
Location
West of Andover
The soap trick works best with the liquid soap, grab a couple hand towels from the toilet and put a little bit of soap on one of the towels, and basically wipe the window with it. The idea is to get a thin layer of soap on the window so it doesn't steam up.

You didn't know about Wedgwood, Barlaston & Norton Bridge being rail replacement buses and Etruria no longer in existence?
 

noddy1878

Established Member
Joined
23 Jun 2010
Messages
1,473
Location
Plymouth
I wasn't by the window but we used the soap trick as well as the people on the table next to us. I was at the front of coach C and could hear the 56! :D We opened the window for two reasons! To hear it (was even better later in the trip out of Victoria and through the tunnels as we crossed the Pennines) and let some of the heat out!!!
 

heart-of-wessex

Established Member
Joined
11 Jun 2005
Messages
3,087
Location
Trowbridge
You didn't know about Wedgwood, Barlaston & Norton Bridge being rail replacement buses and Etruria no longer in existence?

Nope! Norton Bridge I knew about for years, but not the others!


Anyway sorry for the huge delay, I've had the horrible cold for the past 2 weeks and not had much energy to type.

From Stockport we carried on the Down Slow to Longsight and then traversed the Down Goods throughout. Just before Manchester we did the Matfield Goods Loop, all good track so far! We managed to pass Manchester Piccadilly non stop (on the through line obviously!) though we were riding the yellows, so it was a slow paced run through Oxford Road but still hardly surprising for a bottle neck route. We did pass some rather huge grand building which I must find out what it was (past the science museum area I think, not 100% mind).
Question now was where in Trafford Park are we going to go and what crossover would we use? If you use the furthest one you can only access the Rec 1 line, passing through Manchester United Football Ground station would access the rest of the site, and would be a bit of track I've always been after.
Sure enough, we passed through Manchester United Football Ground station, which now means I don't have to get a rammed footex train, and of course I can do the track throughout to the Euroterminal. Unfortunately I did the inevitable thing by starting to highlight the wrong bit of track by accident, so now I have a very small piece of track marked off that I've never done. We ended up in road 'W5' in the Euroterminal, 60017 was seen in the yard ready to couple up at the other end, and sat here as the bin bags were thrown out and the water tanks replenished. Time for lunch, the Asda triple breakfast sandwiches went down a treat :). At the time I thought 60017 was a winner, but it wasn't, I already had 017 on a Pathfinder tour around the Welsh Valleys.

We set away from Trafford Park at 14:24, just 4 minutes late which wasn't bad. Another steady pace back to Manchester Piccadilly where this time we stopped in the platform, though we did roll through slowly so I think the driver did try not to stop. Some passenger was seen looking puzzled why she couldn't get on, as someone remarked 'does this look like your normal train!?'
We managed to cross over to the Down Fast and then to the Up & Down Goods. We stopped on this line for a short while, thinking this was as far as we would go, and then we proceeded to the Dep & Rec line at Longsight. Scoring a lot of track and crossovers so far! That was the end of the 60 haulage, all 5 miles 12 chains of it, now it was the 56 to take us back through Manchester. We left Longsight just 2 minutes late which seemed to have impacted our path onto the Down Slow, which of course meant crossing over all the lines. It was like trying to cross the M25.
I was watching the traffic on Open Train Times maps, and noticed the signals on all lines were at red with train approaching, looks like they decided to shove us across. And sure enough we did as a 185 and 156 waited for us to cross over to pass through Man Picc once again.

This time we took a right at Deansgate, still confused at how we would get to Manchester Victoria, then we went over some bridge then I was completely lost. Turned out we were on the Ordsall curve, only open a week ago, well I never! Something else I was out the loop about :lol:!!
Obviously required track, but apparently the layout had slightly changed at this end of Man Vic too.
We stopped briefly at Manchester Victoria (Been a good 10+ years since I was last here!) and then set off, as I imagined what the thrash was like up front going up Miles Platting bank.

I got my companion to help guide me through my Quail as to where we were going, and then we stopped just outside Ashburys for a pathing stop. To think about half an hour ago, we were about 1 mile West at Longsight. We passed Ashbury's a coupe of minutes late and set off through Bredbury and Marple. Been absolutely years since I went down here, and still remember going on the First North Western 142's and 150's down this way. Need to come back up here for station scratching and unit bashing.

By the time we got near New Mills Central, it was getting dark outside, and to think we had ages yet before we'd get home! We had a pathing stop past New Mills Central which involved traversing the Up Goods Loop, another bonus :) I pooped to the vestibule and pulled down the window, and stood there to hear the 56 pulling out the UGL. Very nice sound especially from this far back too.
Time for another hot beverage and sat back to enjoy the darkness, though after passing through Edale it did look rather foggy outside. Further down we went through the 3 mile Totley tunnel, and despite the windows being shut, the corridor doors being closed and being 6 coaches away from the front, you could just hear a slight turbo scream, very impressive!

Dore curve was scratched off and of course doing it this way involved scratching off the crossovers too. We crossed over to the Erewash line and poodled down to Chesterfield.

To be Continued...
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top