heart-of-wessex
Established Member
Hello all,
Here is my trip report for the Friday to the Sunday for the Concrete Cow tour and the RUK
Devon meet on the following day.
27th January 2012
I start on the 1416 from Trowbridge, an earlier time on a Friday but it was half day at work as I finish there for good. The Westbury blocker has obviously broken down today as the Cardiff was advertised at right time as it left Westbury, but in fact it rolled in 2 late at 1418...but still technically on time!
158958 whisked me up the Avon Valley to Bath Spa where I swapped over to P1 or whatever it is for the HST to Padd. The amount of times I've got off at Bath...I still don't know the platform numbers!
43150 rolls in on the 1443 Padd..ahh memories of the something post (wasn't 150 named Bristol something Post? Or some other paper? Can't remember it's full name!)
I sit in Carriage B and read the Times. Some Uni students sit behind me going back home to Essex. One had an annoying monotone laugh and the other kept having an affair with the flip down table at the back of my seat by pulling it down and slamming it back up. It was like sitting on an earthquake simulator, so I moved to Coach A for some peace, which worked!
At Didcot I stopped reading for a bit and saw the test train with a DBSO in the yard, couldn't see what loco was on it though. Nothing interesting happened to Paddington otherwise. We arrived at journeys end at 1614 and I headed over to KFC for a 2 piece chicken meal, and then headed back to buy a Travelcard.
The plan was to head over to Heathrow but I couldn't be bothered to use the Piccadilly line so I headed to P12 for the 1633 Connect service. I asked the gripper if it was ok if I buy a single from Hayes to Heathrow on board and said I could when he walks through.
360201 was on todays stopper, required for haulage leaving just 360203 to do.
I dive in to my KFC and upon passing OO depot, I note 360203 on shed....bah!
An uneventful trip later and we are at Hayes (not the Kent one!) and most of the passengers tip out here. We then left for Heathrow where the gripper turned up. I bought a single but he said I couldn't get a discount with my 16-25 card on board
wish I asked that before I got on!
We got held outside of Heathrow Central Term. 1&3 to wait for 360205 to arrive and depart on the T4 shuttle, and then we rolled in on time. 201 then left ECS for Terminal 5 and shortly, a pair of Type 1 CAF units showed up. 332010 was on the front, though I had to use the carriage number to get the front unit number as I couldn't see it when it rolled in due to the bright headlight. As we left for T5, I note 010 was required having only done 007 and 013 before anyway.
A short trip saw us arrive into T5 in no time, then 360201 left ECS for Heathrow Central on the opposite platform. There is an 11 minute turnaround here, so I go to the rear unit to see what's on offer for haulage on the return run. 332004 is leading back to Padd, required, so I leap on.
We leave on time and soon enough we are back at Central. I swap over to P1 to see 360205 leave on the T4 shuttle, and 360202 arrive and depart on the Connect.
Then, another set CAF units, formed of of a 4-HEX and a 5-HEX roll in on the T5 service.
332014 is up front this time, again a required unit. Back at T5, the Connect Desiro leaves empty for Heathrow Central, and I see what's on the rear...332007. 007 seems to be my pet 332 at the moment, this will be the third time I've had it now, miles away from clearing it for 1,000 miles!
Back at Central and I see off the Desiro gala again and then wait for the next T5 shuttle, which had 332005 up front, that'll do me! Back at HWV (Heathrow Terminal 5) I notice that I've been CAF nedding for just over an hour now! Hardly done much 332s, but the long waits at Terminal 5 and Terminal 1 and 3 means it's not a quick job, but at least on weekdays you get doubled up units compared to a weekend.
At HWV, I go to the ticket machine and fork out £19 for a HEX single to Paddington. No
discount's on offer, I thought there was but maybe not then :?
I board the other unit, 332003, for a trip to Paddington on the 1827 from T5. The main reason
for doing this was to finally to the tiny bit of track required from Heathrow Airport Jn to the Up Fast, meaning that all I need to do now is the Crossover from Airport Jn to the Up Relief on a 360, and the Crossover at the diamond crossing near the tunnel that is only used when engineering work is on.
A nice fast run see's us back at Paddington on time where I then head over to the H&C platform for a C stock trip to Farringdon. Unfortunately the coach stunk to high heaven as some homeless guy was walking through with a cup for money. I assume if I add funds to this cup I am paying him to buy another travelcard to access the tube again?
I bail at Farringdon and swap over to the Thameslink side to see the departures screen showing half the trains as just 'delayed' with just the ex-Sutton loopers running ok. Turns out there is some signal farce near Haywards Heath.
One Bedford was on time though, leaving at 1911 which was formed of some un-ID 377/5 and 377510, the latter I scooped in for a leap to St Pancras to try something going south.
The first unit south was a Sutton service with 319004, dud, so I flagged that and then saw 319440 on the Bedford...argh required! Shame it was RA St Albans. Wish I flagged 377510 now!
Some other 319 came in dud, so again flagged on that basis, then the 1934 service rolled in at 1942 with required 319431 up front, off we go! Well not too far as I bail at Farringdon to wait for the Brighton service behind. This rolled in 6 late with required 319369 on so I took this for a leap down the road to City Thameslink, where I bailed to await for my next scratch.
I waited 16 minutes for my next required unit to show, which was 319445 on the Sevenoaks service.
I took this up the ramp on a uber-insect leap to Blackfrairs, which only took 1 minute to do. I had to look up the headcode on FreightLocate as Traveline is anti-319 nedding and tells you to walk it!
Glad I did this on a Travelcard though, and un-discounted single for the 14 chain leap is £2.40 or £3.60 First Class!!!
hock:
hock:!!!
Just as well I bailed here as required 319458 just happened to be on the Brighton service behind, so I decided to take that all the way to East Croydon rather than a leap to London Bridge. There will probably be another 319 to take me back to St Pancras anyway from Croydon. A trip in the dark was uneventful but the time was passed as I listed to my Addicted to Bass Ministry of Sound album on my MP3.
We got to Croydon at 2039 where I managed to make a -41 connection onto the 2002 Bedford, which left at 2043 with dud 319427.
I took this back to St Pancras Low Level where I then proceeded to the station concourse in search of a food store. I remember M&S food is here, so I head for the store and stop when I see a burger bar....hmmmmm...I look at the price list and walk away when I see just a burger alone was £5.80 something, and a meal topped over £7!!!
M&S it was then! I did bag a cheap discounted sarnie at £1.50 and also got a bag of sliced apple pieces and a bag of Prawn Crackers.
Sometime later I was back at the Low Level platforms and I waited for the 2148 Bedford, which showed up at 2200 with 319423 on, dud but I got on anyway and sat in the MSO.
Quite glad I did this actually as it had some epically loud transformer on that more-less drowned the traction motor out!!! Got a sound recording so I could add it to my 319 sound compilation I plan to do soon.
I down most of my food from M&S and spend most the time staring out into the darkness enjoying the noise.
We arrived into Bedford at 2303, just in time for the 2312 to St Pancras. It was bloody cold outside so I did a leap to the ATM and looked for what platform the 2312 was from...platform 1...so that's 319423 again then. I jumped back on 423 in the TSO coach which had the heater on overdrive it seemed as it was bloody hot inside! Wasn't complaining at that though!
I think I did sleep a bit of the way, as I can't quite recall Radlett or Luton, but for some reason I felt wide awake :?
London was reached late as we arrived at 0039, so the unit had a very brief turnaround for the now delayed 0036 to Bedford. I waited to see what the 0046 arrival from Bedford would be, and it turned out to be a dud 319/3 which formed the 0106 to Bedford. I would have got it but looking up the moves it involves a 40 minute wait at Bedford. I would have gone for that as there is a warm waiting area at Bedford, but 40 minutes at staring into space seemed like a bad idea...something tells me that I can do better at London Bridge.
28th January 2012
So, plan 5,456,3453 (out of 5,456,3452 I had before on what to do in London on Friday, that involved 455s, SET bashing, station gricing, 379 gricing, 1K39...none of it happened of course in the end!) and I'm on 33085 to London Bridge. Not a Class 33 of course but a Dagenham shed Trident bus on the 0B00.
At Bridge, I note the 0135 doesn't have a platform yet but I suspet it will be P15. It took until 0132 for the platform to finally show up as P15, but I suspect with a late advertisment meant it arrived later than booked. We all charge up to P15 and the whistles are blowing to usher us onto required 319362 on the Three Bridges service, which in the end only left 1 minute late. Quite glad I flagged the other dud 319/3 on the Bedford now!
I see we were booked to go round the Streatham Stagger too...one day I'll actually fall on one that does the Crystal Palace diversion, something I haven't done on a 319 yet. Sleep was tried again for this boring drag, but I was still wide awake! Dunno what I had that's kept me alert, but I would like to know
!
We were running late by East Croydon, as we were held outside the station for some reason, doubt we were waiting for an available platform!
We arrived and left 4 late and stormed over to Gatwick via the Quarry lines. Arrival into Gatwick was 4 late, but still I managed a +5 onto the 0230 to Bridge, with required 319424 bingo!
We were routed the same way as the outward trip, via the Quarry lines then round the earth to Bridge via Streatham. Arrival there was probably ontime but I didn't note the arrival time.
Next move saw me on 319456 on the 0335 Three Bridges service. An ontime departure saw us out via the usual route to Croydon again where I saw some 59 storm through on the 7V81 to Acton T.C.
We then left Croydon ontime for Gatwick where I bailed at P1 and waited on the same platform for the 0430 back to Bridge, which had a dud 319/4 up front but had required 319220 on the rear, so I dived in the MSO in 220. Seemed strange getting on a 319 that actually has tables on! Shame the unit was rather quiet though.
Our route back was a bit different as we stormed through Redhill to Croydon, then the usual Streatham route to London Bridge.
From there I packed up from 319 scratching and headed for the LU Jubilee line platforms to head into the city, but a change of plan saw me get a Jubilee Class 96 to Stratford instead.
The ride was a bit rough as the ATO (I believe it is ATO down there now anyway) can't seem to hold a speed, so kept shunting the power on and off.
The stock was rather cold too, first unit I'd been on that had no heating so I was starting to feel cold for a change but that will hopefully stop soon when I get on another train at Stratford.
At the Jubilee terminal at Stratford, I head to the NR platforms to see the next train to Liverpool Street is at 0555 from P5, a 315 maybe?
Up at P5 I see it's advertised as a c2c service...of course they do the silly O'clock service to Liverpool Street at that time. In the meantime, a FL Class 66 rolled through on P10 on either a Hams Hall or Ditton liner, then the pair of Electric Turbostars roll in 4 minutes late.
The front unit was required but I went to see what was on the rear, 357045, so I scooped in the latter instead.
At Liverpool Street I didn't know what to do. Doing some other leaps will probably see me into Paddington later than I want, but going there now is too early...one of those difficult times!
Instead I went on the Central Line for a leap to Oxford Circus, then back to Bank, then onto another 92 stock in advertisment livery back to Oxford Circus. The livery was in Digital TV switchover colours, with pink upholstered seats and every advert was for the TV switchover date, which was rather boring as there was no variety of adverts to read!
(pictures if you haven't seen the unit http://london-underground.blogspot.com/2012/01/central-line-pink-tube-for-digital.html)
At Oxford Circus I swapped over for the Oven Line which I took to Paddington. There, I walked past the destination board at the LU concourse and saw the 0749 advertised to Wolverton Works.
First move was to Upper Class for a hellfire Cheese and ham heated baguette and a coffee...proper food, bring it on!
I met with two freinds as we were booked to travel together on the tour, and then proceeded to P11 to be greeted with my first dud 66, 66200 (done from Westbury to Merehead). Bah! Oh well some more engine miles but what is at the other end? 66213. That'll do!
We left Paddington ontime at 0749. With 213 leading, this was now by 19th shed for haulage, need just one more to crank it to 20 now. A trip on the slow lines bought us up to Southall West Yard, passing King Edward I and an 08 in Southall Yard. We had hardly done much mileage already but we sat there for 30 minutes and left a bit late for Brentford Waste Terminal with 66200 doing it's first turn.
Arriving there, we stopped and started through I assume many manual points to the waste terminal, passing the Aggregates place in between. Not much to see apart from some stacked up yellow Waste boxes ready for loading or something.
66213 then lead the way out and we started gibbering on about engineering etc and before I knew it, we were going through the M3/M25 interchange. Seemed odd going right through the interchange roads on either side of us with the motorways flying above us.
Colnbrook wasn't far away and we reached there to see a rake of MRL thingy boxes and some 66 at the other end. Beyond that was the Oil terminal where, I believe, we stopped short of the gate. We could have gone further but there was a rake of tanks in there and another 66 was running around I think.
We did stop here for some time, but it was nice being under the flightpath for Heathrow so there were things to see!
We eventually left with 66200 leading, passing the Dalsey, Hillblom and Lynn German Parcels hub on the right (otherwise known as DHL) and returned to West Drayton G.F, where the token was dropped and we headed on the slow...SORRY...Relief Lines to Acton Mainline, where we swung off to Acton Wells on the dud-for-trackage incline, part of the Parlimentary route. I wonder if it counts as a passenger tour running over this line, meaning Southern don't need to bother with the Acton - Wandsworth service?
We touched the NLL for a few chains, then headed for Willesden/Wembley yard where DB liveried 92009 was seen as well as a lot of wagons. I did briefly spot the Lancaster Witch looking flash in her new Intercity repaint. I did want to get a photo but where we were stopped, all I could see was Cargowagon froth.
I don't know if we were on time but we must have been as we had a long wait for our booked path out. Various 350s/390s passed, and 90035 was seen shunting the sleeper stock. Later on, a FL Class 66 rolled in on a liner, and then we got our path out.
We passed through Wembley Central P6 (?) passing the dud headshunt I've done many years ago, and then scooped in the crossover at the north end. Then it was a drag all the way to Wolverton, a line that takes forever it seems on either a 390 or 350.
We eventually got to the reversal point for the Wolverton incline, which was a nice experience. At the other side, we rolled back down the hill to access Wolverton reception roads, passing the old site of the Wolverton Sheds, now a Morrisons.
I could imagine how much stock was filled here before. We seemed to have danced back and forth but I've not added the chainage for each shunt move in the sidings, I'd be here forever working it out!
66213 was leading back out to the reversal siding, but after 10,000 reversals, I was doubting myself if I was right!
!
After the reversal at the mainline, we headed over to Northampton with 66200 leading the way. A brief reversal here and 213 was leading again to Bletchley where, as planned, we went over the flyover and went as far as possible on the old Bicester line. I don't exactly know where we stopped in our coach, but we was just outside of Bletchley, as someone noticed the Welcome to Bletchley sign on the road to the right.
66200 (keeping up with me?) lead back over the flyover to Fenny Stratford, where we reversed for 66213 to lead is into Bletchley station. We had half an hour here, so I took a break from sitting down in buffet coach C and went to the front to check if 66213 was at the front, and it was. Good to double check sometimes!
I did wish now that I booked the last tour early enough for 66085. I did plan to do both but the first one was booked up when I wanted to.
Anyway, 30 minutes came and went, and 66200 lead out for the last leg of the trip to Euston. More time was passed gibbering alot about ticketing and what not, and before I knew it, we were in Euston! Shame it had to end early, but it is a good end time though as it leaves ample time for getting home.
I saw off my freinds and wondered what to do now. I was booked on the 2000 from Paddington as I gave some slack in case we were late, but we werent.
So with 2 and a half hours spare, I wondered weather to do a 378 to Kilburn High Road for the station grice....nah. Or maybe I could go to Paddington and see if 360203 is out....hmmmm. It's 1730 odd now, and I could try and get the 1803 from Padd.
Decision made, I charge to the Victoria line platform and get a Underground Electrostar to Oxford Circus and swap over for an Oven Line train to Padd. Timing was right here as one rolled in as I arrived on the platform!
I charged up the stairs at Paddington and noticed that I got there at 1757...bloody hell that was good time via Oxford Circus!!!!
The 1803 wasn't even in platform 12 yet, odd! I went to P12 anyway to wait for the unit to arrive, and there was a constant flow of passengers coming from the P13 end, it never stopped! I wondered if either an epically overloaded 165/166 had just arrived, or if it was a combination of a tube train and turbo arriving, but then of course, the H&C platforms were closed today (didn't think about that at the time!)
Near 1800, 360204 rolled in and piled everyone out, then I jumped on and wondered if we will be out on time, it's a tight plus as it is at Ealing Broadway for a 360 back. We did actually left at 1803 but we seemed to have a slow run for some reason, leaving us 3 minutes late at Ealing Broadway. No 360 was in the other platform but as I got off, I heard one coming in, so I ran up the stairs, over the bridge to see the stairs going to the other platform in token block operation or something, as it was filled with people going up the stairs. Stuff the token, I battered my way down to see why the stairs were crowded...a combination of the Connect arriving and a Central line train that had just arrived too.
Getting to the 360 was a mission as no one seemed to notice that I wanted to diverge right to the mainline platform and not straight on to the tube platform.
I just barged through a small gap and bailed onto the 360. Not knowing the number meant I resorted to the coach number, which revealed it was 360201...dang!
I sat on the Old Oak Common side to see what 360 was on shed today, but as it was dark, I couldn't ID any of the coach numbers or the front number. Oh well a return back to Ealing will have to do to see what is on the 3rd diagram.
On arrival at Paddington, I swapped coaches to scoop another one in on 201 and headed back to Ealing. Upon return we was right time, so I didn't have to do a mad dash over the bridge this time. On the other platform, I noticed the Digital TV switchover Central Line set was in the platform...have I just developed a new stalker?
The 1854 service came in with 360202 on...damn 203 on shed yet again then! Must have taken some holiday leave!
Back at Paddington, I waited for the 2000 to show on the screens. I would play hunt the HST home again, but this time there was too many HSTs to hunt, 6 of them in fact.
Our one showed up rather late at 1955, so the usual charge for the HST commenced to P10. 43163 was noted on the rear and I went to see what was up front...43127.
I jumped into coach C and took my seat and waited for departure.
We actually left ontime at 2000, and headed off into the night to Swindon. Considering I hardly slept last night, I was finally starting to feel tired! Usually I'd start falling asleep on a tour but I was alert until this point.
I read some of my magazine up to Swindon, where we arrived late at 2105, which gave me a +3 onto the 2108 unit. Alighting at P4, the announcer said we should proceed as quickly as possible to P3 for the Westbury unit.
I charged down the stairs, battered through the subway and ran up the stairs to see 158881 sitting in the platform. I leapt for the First Class compo which was empty as expected. As i sat down, I saw the HST leave P4 running RA to Bristol TM and I thought really why did I run? I should have checked the starter platform on P4 and if it was green, there was no way the Westbury unit would be able to leave at the same time!
Anyway, the HST was out the way and we did leave at the back end of 2108 for Westbury. I read a bit of my magazine and also said to the gripper as he checked my ticket that this set, with First Class, was a bit plush for Melksham
!!
Arrival into Trowbridge was right time and I headed home to end a great day out!!
I'll continue with the Sunday bash in part 2 coming soon....
Here is my trip report for the Friday to the Sunday for the Concrete Cow tour and the RUK
Devon meet on the following day.
27th January 2012
I start on the 1416 from Trowbridge, an earlier time on a Friday but it was half day at work as I finish there for good. The Westbury blocker has obviously broken down today as the Cardiff was advertised at right time as it left Westbury, but in fact it rolled in 2 late at 1418...but still technically on time!
158958 whisked me up the Avon Valley to Bath Spa where I swapped over to P1 or whatever it is for the HST to Padd. The amount of times I've got off at Bath...I still don't know the platform numbers!
43150 rolls in on the 1443 Padd..ahh memories of the something post (wasn't 150 named Bristol something Post? Or some other paper? Can't remember it's full name!)
I sit in Carriage B and read the Times. Some Uni students sit behind me going back home to Essex. One had an annoying monotone laugh and the other kept having an affair with the flip down table at the back of my seat by pulling it down and slamming it back up. It was like sitting on an earthquake simulator, so I moved to Coach A for some peace, which worked!
At Didcot I stopped reading for a bit and saw the test train with a DBSO in the yard, couldn't see what loco was on it though. Nothing interesting happened to Paddington otherwise. We arrived at journeys end at 1614 and I headed over to KFC for a 2 piece chicken meal, and then headed back to buy a Travelcard.
The plan was to head over to Heathrow but I couldn't be bothered to use the Piccadilly line so I headed to P12 for the 1633 Connect service. I asked the gripper if it was ok if I buy a single from Hayes to Heathrow on board and said I could when he walks through.
360201 was on todays stopper, required for haulage leaving just 360203 to do.
I dive in to my KFC and upon passing OO depot, I note 360203 on shed....bah!
An uneventful trip later and we are at Hayes (not the Kent one!) and most of the passengers tip out here. We then left for Heathrow where the gripper turned up. I bought a single but he said I couldn't get a discount with my 16-25 card on board
We got held outside of Heathrow Central Term. 1&3 to wait for 360205 to arrive and depart on the T4 shuttle, and then we rolled in on time. 201 then left ECS for Terminal 5 and shortly, a pair of Type 1 CAF units showed up. 332010 was on the front, though I had to use the carriage number to get the front unit number as I couldn't see it when it rolled in due to the bright headlight. As we left for T5, I note 010 was required having only done 007 and 013 before anyway.
A short trip saw us arrive into T5 in no time, then 360201 left ECS for Heathrow Central on the opposite platform. There is an 11 minute turnaround here, so I go to the rear unit to see what's on offer for haulage on the return run. 332004 is leading back to Padd, required, so I leap on.
We leave on time and soon enough we are back at Central. I swap over to P1 to see 360205 leave on the T4 shuttle, and 360202 arrive and depart on the Connect.
Then, another set CAF units, formed of of a 4-HEX and a 5-HEX roll in on the T5 service.
332014 is up front this time, again a required unit. Back at T5, the Connect Desiro leaves empty for Heathrow Central, and I see what's on the rear...332007. 007 seems to be my pet 332 at the moment, this will be the third time I've had it now, miles away from clearing it for 1,000 miles!
Back at Central and I see off the Desiro gala again and then wait for the next T5 shuttle, which had 332005 up front, that'll do me! Back at HWV (Heathrow Terminal 5) I notice that I've been CAF nedding for just over an hour now! Hardly done much 332s, but the long waits at Terminal 5 and Terminal 1 and 3 means it's not a quick job, but at least on weekdays you get doubled up units compared to a weekend.
At HWV, I go to the ticket machine and fork out £19 for a HEX single to Paddington. No
discount's on offer, I thought there was but maybe not then :?
I board the other unit, 332003, for a trip to Paddington on the 1827 from T5. The main reason
for doing this was to finally to the tiny bit of track required from Heathrow Airport Jn to the Up Fast, meaning that all I need to do now is the Crossover from Airport Jn to the Up Relief on a 360, and the Crossover at the diamond crossing near the tunnel that is only used when engineering work is on.
A nice fast run see's us back at Paddington on time where I then head over to the H&C platform for a C stock trip to Farringdon. Unfortunately the coach stunk to high heaven as some homeless guy was walking through with a cup for money. I assume if I add funds to this cup I am paying him to buy another travelcard to access the tube again?
I bail at Farringdon and swap over to the Thameslink side to see the departures screen showing half the trains as just 'delayed' with just the ex-Sutton loopers running ok. Turns out there is some signal farce near Haywards Heath.
One Bedford was on time though, leaving at 1911 which was formed of some un-ID 377/5 and 377510, the latter I scooped in for a leap to St Pancras to try something going south.
The first unit south was a Sutton service with 319004, dud, so I flagged that and then saw 319440 on the Bedford...argh required! Shame it was RA St Albans. Wish I flagged 377510 now!
Some other 319 came in dud, so again flagged on that basis, then the 1934 service rolled in at 1942 with required 319431 up front, off we go! Well not too far as I bail at Farringdon to wait for the Brighton service behind. This rolled in 6 late with required 319369 on so I took this for a leap down the road to City Thameslink, where I bailed to await for my next scratch.
I waited 16 minutes for my next required unit to show, which was 319445 on the Sevenoaks service.
I took this up the ramp on a uber-insect leap to Blackfrairs, which only took 1 minute to do. I had to look up the headcode on FreightLocate as Traveline is anti-319 nedding and tells you to walk it!
Glad I did this on a Travelcard though, and un-discounted single for the 14 chain leap is £2.40 or £3.60 First Class!!!
Just as well I bailed here as required 319458 just happened to be on the Brighton service behind, so I decided to take that all the way to East Croydon rather than a leap to London Bridge. There will probably be another 319 to take me back to St Pancras anyway from Croydon. A trip in the dark was uneventful but the time was passed as I listed to my Addicted to Bass Ministry of Sound album on my MP3.
We got to Croydon at 2039 where I managed to make a -41 connection onto the 2002 Bedford, which left at 2043 with dud 319427.
I took this back to St Pancras Low Level where I then proceeded to the station concourse in search of a food store. I remember M&S food is here, so I head for the store and stop when I see a burger bar....hmmmmm...I look at the price list and walk away when I see just a burger alone was £5.80 something, and a meal topped over £7!!!
M&S it was then! I did bag a cheap discounted sarnie at £1.50 and also got a bag of sliced apple pieces and a bag of Prawn Crackers.
Sometime later I was back at the Low Level platforms and I waited for the 2148 Bedford, which showed up at 2200 with 319423 on, dud but I got on anyway and sat in the MSO.
Quite glad I did this actually as it had some epically loud transformer on that more-less drowned the traction motor out!!! Got a sound recording so I could add it to my 319 sound compilation I plan to do soon.
I down most of my food from M&S and spend most the time staring out into the darkness enjoying the noise.
We arrived into Bedford at 2303, just in time for the 2312 to St Pancras. It was bloody cold outside so I did a leap to the ATM and looked for what platform the 2312 was from...platform 1...so that's 319423 again then. I jumped back on 423 in the TSO coach which had the heater on overdrive it seemed as it was bloody hot inside! Wasn't complaining at that though!
I think I did sleep a bit of the way, as I can't quite recall Radlett or Luton, but for some reason I felt wide awake :?
London was reached late as we arrived at 0039, so the unit had a very brief turnaround for the now delayed 0036 to Bedford. I waited to see what the 0046 arrival from Bedford would be, and it turned out to be a dud 319/3 which formed the 0106 to Bedford. I would have got it but looking up the moves it involves a 40 minute wait at Bedford. I would have gone for that as there is a warm waiting area at Bedford, but 40 minutes at staring into space seemed like a bad idea...something tells me that I can do better at London Bridge.
28th January 2012
So, plan 5,456,3453 (out of 5,456,3452 I had before on what to do in London on Friday, that involved 455s, SET bashing, station gricing, 379 gricing, 1K39...none of it happened of course in the end!) and I'm on 33085 to London Bridge. Not a Class 33 of course but a Dagenham shed Trident bus on the 0B00.
At Bridge, I note the 0135 doesn't have a platform yet but I suspet it will be P15. It took until 0132 for the platform to finally show up as P15, but I suspect with a late advertisment meant it arrived later than booked. We all charge up to P15 and the whistles are blowing to usher us onto required 319362 on the Three Bridges service, which in the end only left 1 minute late. Quite glad I flagged the other dud 319/3 on the Bedford now!
I see we were booked to go round the Streatham Stagger too...one day I'll actually fall on one that does the Crystal Palace diversion, something I haven't done on a 319 yet. Sleep was tried again for this boring drag, but I was still wide awake! Dunno what I had that's kept me alert, but I would like to know
We were running late by East Croydon, as we were held outside the station for some reason, doubt we were waiting for an available platform!
We arrived and left 4 late and stormed over to Gatwick via the Quarry lines. Arrival into Gatwick was 4 late, but still I managed a +5 onto the 0230 to Bridge, with required 319424 bingo!
We were routed the same way as the outward trip, via the Quarry lines then round the earth to Bridge via Streatham. Arrival there was probably ontime but I didn't note the arrival time.
Next move saw me on 319456 on the 0335 Three Bridges service. An ontime departure saw us out via the usual route to Croydon again where I saw some 59 storm through on the 7V81 to Acton T.C.
We then left Croydon ontime for Gatwick where I bailed at P1 and waited on the same platform for the 0430 back to Bridge, which had a dud 319/4 up front but had required 319220 on the rear, so I dived in the MSO in 220. Seemed strange getting on a 319 that actually has tables on! Shame the unit was rather quiet though.
Our route back was a bit different as we stormed through Redhill to Croydon, then the usual Streatham route to London Bridge.
From there I packed up from 319 scratching and headed for the LU Jubilee line platforms to head into the city, but a change of plan saw me get a Jubilee Class 96 to Stratford instead.
The ride was a bit rough as the ATO (I believe it is ATO down there now anyway) can't seem to hold a speed, so kept shunting the power on and off.
The stock was rather cold too, first unit I'd been on that had no heating so I was starting to feel cold for a change but that will hopefully stop soon when I get on another train at Stratford.
At the Jubilee terminal at Stratford, I head to the NR platforms to see the next train to Liverpool Street is at 0555 from P5, a 315 maybe?
Up at P5 I see it's advertised as a c2c service...of course they do the silly O'clock service to Liverpool Street at that time. In the meantime, a FL Class 66 rolled through on P10 on either a Hams Hall or Ditton liner, then the pair of Electric Turbostars roll in 4 minutes late.
The front unit was required but I went to see what was on the rear, 357045, so I scooped in the latter instead.
At Liverpool Street I didn't know what to do. Doing some other leaps will probably see me into Paddington later than I want, but going there now is too early...one of those difficult times!
Instead I went on the Central Line for a leap to Oxford Circus, then back to Bank, then onto another 92 stock in advertisment livery back to Oxford Circus. The livery was in Digital TV switchover colours, with pink upholstered seats and every advert was for the TV switchover date, which was rather boring as there was no variety of adverts to read!
(pictures if you haven't seen the unit http://london-underground.blogspot.com/2012/01/central-line-pink-tube-for-digital.html)
At Oxford Circus I swapped over for the Oven Line which I took to Paddington. There, I walked past the destination board at the LU concourse and saw the 0749 advertised to Wolverton Works.
First move was to Upper Class for a hellfire Cheese and ham heated baguette and a coffee...proper food, bring it on!
I met with two freinds as we were booked to travel together on the tour, and then proceeded to P11 to be greeted with my first dud 66, 66200 (done from Westbury to Merehead). Bah! Oh well some more engine miles but what is at the other end? 66213. That'll do!
We left Paddington ontime at 0749. With 213 leading, this was now by 19th shed for haulage, need just one more to crank it to 20 now. A trip on the slow lines bought us up to Southall West Yard, passing King Edward I and an 08 in Southall Yard. We had hardly done much mileage already but we sat there for 30 minutes and left a bit late for Brentford Waste Terminal with 66200 doing it's first turn.
Arriving there, we stopped and started through I assume many manual points to the waste terminal, passing the Aggregates place in between. Not much to see apart from some stacked up yellow Waste boxes ready for loading or something.
66213 then lead the way out and we started gibbering on about engineering etc and before I knew it, we were going through the M3/M25 interchange. Seemed odd going right through the interchange roads on either side of us with the motorways flying above us.
Colnbrook wasn't far away and we reached there to see a rake of MRL thingy boxes and some 66 at the other end. Beyond that was the Oil terminal where, I believe, we stopped short of the gate. We could have gone further but there was a rake of tanks in there and another 66 was running around I think.
We did stop here for some time, but it was nice being under the flightpath for Heathrow so there were things to see!
We eventually left with 66200 leading, passing the Dalsey, Hillblom and Lynn German Parcels hub on the right (otherwise known as DHL) and returned to West Drayton G.F, where the token was dropped and we headed on the slow...SORRY...Relief Lines to Acton Mainline, where we swung off to Acton Wells on the dud-for-trackage incline, part of the Parlimentary route. I wonder if it counts as a passenger tour running over this line, meaning Southern don't need to bother with the Acton - Wandsworth service?
We touched the NLL for a few chains, then headed for Willesden/Wembley yard where DB liveried 92009 was seen as well as a lot of wagons. I did briefly spot the Lancaster Witch looking flash in her new Intercity repaint. I did want to get a photo but where we were stopped, all I could see was Cargowagon froth.
I don't know if we were on time but we must have been as we had a long wait for our booked path out. Various 350s/390s passed, and 90035 was seen shunting the sleeper stock. Later on, a FL Class 66 rolled in on a liner, and then we got our path out.
We passed through Wembley Central P6 (?) passing the dud headshunt I've done many years ago, and then scooped in the crossover at the north end. Then it was a drag all the way to Wolverton, a line that takes forever it seems on either a 390 or 350.
We eventually got to the reversal point for the Wolverton incline, which was a nice experience. At the other side, we rolled back down the hill to access Wolverton reception roads, passing the old site of the Wolverton Sheds, now a Morrisons.
I could imagine how much stock was filled here before. We seemed to have danced back and forth but I've not added the chainage for each shunt move in the sidings, I'd be here forever working it out!
66213 was leading back out to the reversal siding, but after 10,000 reversals, I was doubting myself if I was right!
After the reversal at the mainline, we headed over to Northampton with 66200 leading the way. A brief reversal here and 213 was leading again to Bletchley where, as planned, we went over the flyover and went as far as possible on the old Bicester line. I don't exactly know where we stopped in our coach, but we was just outside of Bletchley, as someone noticed the Welcome to Bletchley sign on the road to the right.
66200 (keeping up with me?) lead back over the flyover to Fenny Stratford, where we reversed for 66213 to lead is into Bletchley station. We had half an hour here, so I took a break from sitting down in buffet coach C and went to the front to check if 66213 was at the front, and it was. Good to double check sometimes!
I did wish now that I booked the last tour early enough for 66085. I did plan to do both but the first one was booked up when I wanted to.
Anyway, 30 minutes came and went, and 66200 lead out for the last leg of the trip to Euston. More time was passed gibbering alot about ticketing and what not, and before I knew it, we were in Euston! Shame it had to end early, but it is a good end time though as it leaves ample time for getting home.
I saw off my freinds and wondered what to do now. I was booked on the 2000 from Paddington as I gave some slack in case we were late, but we werent.
So with 2 and a half hours spare, I wondered weather to do a 378 to Kilburn High Road for the station grice....nah. Or maybe I could go to Paddington and see if 360203 is out....hmmmm. It's 1730 odd now, and I could try and get the 1803 from Padd.
Decision made, I charge to the Victoria line platform and get a Underground Electrostar to Oxford Circus and swap over for an Oven Line train to Padd. Timing was right here as one rolled in as I arrived on the platform!
I charged up the stairs at Paddington and noticed that I got there at 1757...bloody hell that was good time via Oxford Circus!!!!
The 1803 wasn't even in platform 12 yet, odd! I went to P12 anyway to wait for the unit to arrive, and there was a constant flow of passengers coming from the P13 end, it never stopped! I wondered if either an epically overloaded 165/166 had just arrived, or if it was a combination of a tube train and turbo arriving, but then of course, the H&C platforms were closed today (didn't think about that at the time!)
Near 1800, 360204 rolled in and piled everyone out, then I jumped on and wondered if we will be out on time, it's a tight plus as it is at Ealing Broadway for a 360 back. We did actually left at 1803 but we seemed to have a slow run for some reason, leaving us 3 minutes late at Ealing Broadway. No 360 was in the other platform but as I got off, I heard one coming in, so I ran up the stairs, over the bridge to see the stairs going to the other platform in token block operation or something, as it was filled with people going up the stairs. Stuff the token, I battered my way down to see why the stairs were crowded...a combination of the Connect arriving and a Central line train that had just arrived too.
Getting to the 360 was a mission as no one seemed to notice that I wanted to diverge right to the mainline platform and not straight on to the tube platform.
I just barged through a small gap and bailed onto the 360. Not knowing the number meant I resorted to the coach number, which revealed it was 360201...dang!
I sat on the Old Oak Common side to see what 360 was on shed today, but as it was dark, I couldn't ID any of the coach numbers or the front number. Oh well a return back to Ealing will have to do to see what is on the 3rd diagram.
On arrival at Paddington, I swapped coaches to scoop another one in on 201 and headed back to Ealing. Upon return we was right time, so I didn't have to do a mad dash over the bridge this time. On the other platform, I noticed the Digital TV switchover Central Line set was in the platform...have I just developed a new stalker?
The 1854 service came in with 360202 on...damn 203 on shed yet again then! Must have taken some holiday leave!
Back at Paddington, I waited for the 2000 to show on the screens. I would play hunt the HST home again, but this time there was too many HSTs to hunt, 6 of them in fact.
Our one showed up rather late at 1955, so the usual charge for the HST commenced to P10. 43163 was noted on the rear and I went to see what was up front...43127.
I jumped into coach C and took my seat and waited for departure.
We actually left ontime at 2000, and headed off into the night to Swindon. Considering I hardly slept last night, I was finally starting to feel tired! Usually I'd start falling asleep on a tour but I was alert until this point.
I read some of my magazine up to Swindon, where we arrived late at 2105, which gave me a +3 onto the 2108 unit. Alighting at P4, the announcer said we should proceed as quickly as possible to P3 for the Westbury unit.
I charged down the stairs, battered through the subway and ran up the stairs to see 158881 sitting in the platform. I leapt for the First Class compo which was empty as expected. As i sat down, I saw the HST leave P4 running RA to Bristol TM and I thought really why did I run? I should have checked the starter platform on P4 and if it was green, there was no way the Westbury unit would be able to leave at the same time!
Anyway, the HST was out the way and we did leave at the back end of 2108 for Westbury. I read a bit of my magazine and also said to the gripper as he checked my ticket that this set, with First Class, was a bit plush for Melksham
Arrival into Trowbridge was right time and I headed home to end a great day out!!
I'll continue with the Sunday bash in part 2 coming soon....
