• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

H-O-W Downlander Brighton Mainline gala 04/02/12

Status
Not open for further replies.

heart-of-wessex

Established Member
Joined
11 Jun 2005
Messages
3,087
Location
Trowbridge
Hello all,

Another day trip out for me yesterday as I went on my first Southern Downlander e-ticket rover, bought at 50p more than a Daysave as I could get it 2 days in advance before deadline.
The Brighton Mainline gala part of the name will explain itself...as I spent most my time on the London - Brighton leg! So heres the report:


The day starts on a super freezing morning at 6am to the station. The 0628 Pompey unit is already running 8 late somehow but actually it departs at 0631 with 158958 on the service.
By Westbury we are ontime as we have a bit of a layover here.
The FGW hire in 158 shunts out of P2 and then we leave ontime for Salisbury, and as we do so, the Bristol - Plymouth 221 races past through P2.

Since theres nothing to see on the route to Salisbury, I update my NREA book with the previous weekend moves, and flick through to update errors, like the usual ones of underlining a number but not ticking it for sight. Once thats done, we are near Salisbury.
Arrival there is at 0711, and I have a +10 onto the 0721 Waterloo. So I make use of the time to get a coffee from Pumpkins.

Back over to P2, a pair of 159s await on the 0721 diverted service. 159013 is my last one for haulage but unfortunately is not on the train today so I sit in 159017 at the front.
As we leave on time, it becomes apparent that there is no heat...a non boiler 159? :lol:
As the gripper passes through, she mentions that the heater isn't working and even the driving cab is apparently cold!
A speedy and uneventful trip is in order until Redbridge where I get my notepad ready. 66953/569/502/504 (all dud for sight) are noted in the MCT as is 08873 in RES livery. I can't recall ever seeing that but according to my book its required for sight :shock:!

We are soon at Southampton Central for our scheduled stop, and I wonder why the diverted trains are always booked to stop here for, no idea why when FGW still serve the station as normal, but I wonder if any SWT 159 drivers actually sign the Wichester road?
Maybe we have an SWT pilot that joins here?

Soon enough we are on the way and we storm through Southampton Airport Parkway (finally getting it for passage) and fly through Eastleigh. 08735 is noted in the yard, also required for sight apparently! 2 new 08s for sight in one day, that's been a LONG time since I've managed to do that!
After Shawford, our pace is slowed down for a short while, and then we pick up speed and launch through Winchester. Another slow run is in order over Worting Junction where we finally arrive into Basingstoke 2 minutes late. Delay is not an issue though as we are booked for a 10 minute layover either case, so we leave ontime at 0830.

My ticket is a day return to Waterloo (not an advance for a change!) but I bail at Clapham Junction P7. All will become clear as to why I got a Waterloo return later.
Arrival is at 0908, and my first plan was to get the 0913 to Brighton. Many of you who know me probably know I don't use plans as they can easily get screwed up, but the 0913 was a planned move as I could get to Brighton.
However I should know that a plan on the Southern will never work as is already proven...the 0913 is canned!
According to the screens, there is a power problem in the Gatwick area, what a grand start to the Downlander bash!

When I looked in the timetable yesterday, the 1006 Victoria - Brighton had a black square in the notes, meaning it's a 442 service. A change of plan saw me aim for that but I had time to kill yet. I decided to get a local Victoria service from P14, which was the 0911 to Viccy. 377127 was on the service, so I took that for a leap to the terminal since it was required.
Still time to spare, so I jumped on required 377424 on the 0936 service for a leap back to Clapham Junction. As we went over Grosvenor Bridge, I noticed a 10-WES pass us. Looking at the times, this was the ex-Brighton service running a tad late that forms the 1006 return, jolly good!

At Clapham, I crossed over to P14 for another local back. I would have gone to P12 for another 377 scratch, but the 0950 to Victoria was canned. 4-BOX number 455837 was on offer on the 2 minutes late 0945 to Viccy, and it was required so I jumped on.
On the approach to Victoria, I noticed the 10-WES heading out of Victoria...OI, where are you going!?!
A look in the times suggests that it is actually 5T65 to Stewarts Lane. Oh well, maybe it's another 442?

We arrived into Victoria at 0956. I head over to the concourse to see the 1006 is due out of P16...hmmmm. Over at P16 I see a trio of 377/3s allocated to the 1006 Brighton Express...bah! I go for it anyway as I would like to do Brighton at somepoint today!
377307 and 320 are my last ones for sight but are not on the trio set today. In fact none of them are required for haulage either, so I settle with dud 377312 up front.
Departure is right time, and we head for our pick ups at Clapham and Croydon, then it's RA Brighton.
I forgot that it's a rock and roll ride on the 377s over junctions, first noticable at Stoats Nest Jn as we bounce around like mad over the trackwork!
We bomb round the Quarry lines and carry on speeding until Gatwick, where we crawl through and have a slow run to Three Bridges.
A Horsham 377 passes us on the slow lines and we continue our slow pace right up to Haywards Heath where oddly we are shoved onto the loop line through P1.

We don't seem to be 'looped' as we are soon speeding through the station where then I see a pair of 319s on P2 on a Brighton Stopper. As we re-join the down main, the driver comes on to apologise for our slow running, as this was due to following a stopping service which we have just passed, so we should have a fast run to Brighton.
That'll be why we were slow, but still seems quite odd literally overtaking a train by means of a loop line. I'm surprised the 319s weren't shoved in there but it may have been too late to change it's route by then if it was set in advance.

We arrive into Brighton at 1105, the journey overall taking 59mins to complete. I see the next service to Victoria is at 1119, and I decide to go for that since there is another rake of 377s in the platform that will probably form it, but soon after it's announced that the 1119 is now canned due to a train failure...*facepalm*
Ok, now what to do! One thing I do is walk up P3 to take a photo of 319013 at the lead of the London Bridge service, and write down 313209/211 that is in the yard, and 377516 standing at P6.
After mulling around for a bit, I see a pair of 442s come in! Will they work back? I note the numbers are 442424 and 421, both required too!

Back down to the blocks, I see they are allocated to work the 1149 Brighton Express to Victoria. Sounds good enough to me, so I head to the leading 5-WES, 442421.
Before I sit down in the motor coach, I use to loo, which in my opinion is a proper restroom, full on working hand dryer that blows out hot air and actually has hot water.

We are on the way right time at 1149 and we are off on a non stop run to East Croydon. Since I bought the March 2012 The Railway Magazine copy earlier, I spent most the time reading that. It certainly passed the time as we were approaching East Croydon in no time.
We then raced up to Clapham Junction where I looked up by chance to see a 444+450 combo heading for waterloo. Never seen that combo in the flesh before, but it does look odd coupled to a 444, probably due to the 2 different liveries.

Victoria was reached at 1243 in P15, so I alighted to see if it works back. It does indeed work out on the 1306 Brighton Express to...Brighton (well wouldn't be Uckfield would it!)
I wanted to return on it as 442424 was required for haulage too, so I took a seat in 424 and settled in for a return run to Brighton.
We left ontime at 1306 and I spent the whole journey reading through my magazine, and listening to some normals sitting behind me. Before you ask, I'm no nosey earwigger but if they talk loud to the point you end up listening without trying, or start talking about trains, then I'm tuned in :lol:

The latter applied in this case as someone said the train calls at Gatwick en-route...are you sure? The same person said it did say Gatwick Express outside on the train too....again, are you sure?! Thankfully it sounded like they were actually going to Brighton, but were a tad surprised that we passed Gatwick, ironic as it's funny how it says Gatwick Express outside (...no...IT DOES NOT SAY GATWICK EXPRESS OUTSIDE!! Jeeez!) :lol:

Back at Brighton yet again, the 442s were allocated to the 1419 back to Victoria. Since both were now dud, I opted for something different, maybe a leap on a hopeful required 313 to Hove. The 1414 shuttle was the next service out but wait! Canned....jesus not another cancellation! Apparently this time it was due to a power fault in the Worthing area.
Ok...plan B yet again then! The 1410 Seaford was the next offering, but that was rammed to the rafters as there was a match at the Brighton and Hove stadium at Falmer.

The 1422 to Lewes took my eye though as I havent done a terminator into Lewes P5 yet.
The 1410 left and I joined the small queue on Platform 8 (crowd control queues in operation on P8) and at 1412, a pair of 377/3s rolled in to form the 1422 service.
The pair were 377321 and 322, and I managed to bag a seat at the front of 321, a required for haulage 377.
Not long after I sat down on the offside by the window, I noticed two people run past the train in plain clothes with rucksacks on heading towards the blocks. I was going to make this aware to staff but since they were running to the buffer ends, they'd no doubt be seen anyway since the BTP were at that end.

1422 came and went and I wondered if it had anything to do with the two people that ran by the train. Shortly the motors turned off lights went out, apart from some powered by the battery supply. The power supply was switched off as apparently there were some other people found on the tracks ahead...great! Delay after another on the network today!

Since we were just sitting there, some more football fans were let on and it soon became full and standing. I was wondering if we would be off this millenium, but at 1445, the power was back on and we were let out at 1446, 24 minutes late.
I wanted to be back at Brighton for the 1519 London Express, so a return to Lewes now probably meant I'd end up missing it.
In the end, I bailed at Falmer as its the last shack between Brighton and Lewes I need anyway. I hoped that there would be something back soon, and sure enough there was a 1436 ex-Bexhill running late due at 1501.
It was RRBs from Bexhill to Ashford today, but I wondered if a 171 would be out anyway. Not today by the looks of it, as 377113 was on the service. Well that's another 377 in the book.
Uckfield was also blocked from Oxted too, with just East Grinstead services running, so I think it was a no diesel day today.

I returned at Brighton again for the millionth time, and waited for the stock for the 1519 to come in, which eventually rolled in at 1517 with 442418 and 442409 on the diagram.
418 was actually dud but 409 was required so I took a seat in the ex-buffet coach. A 2 minute turnaround wasn't achievable as expected, but we left at 1522, not too late really.
A storming run came to and end at Haywards Heath as we came to an abrupt stop in P3 for some reason, but the cab was roughly in the middle of the platform. After about 2 seconds, we were on the way again. Dunno what that was about, being where we stopped it could have been to drop something or someone off maybe?

Another uneventful run to London saw me pass the time reading more of RM again, and then soon enough we were in Victoria arriving there at 1622.
5-WES 442419 caught my eye next to me at P14, and I checked my NREA to see that it is a required 442....hmmmm. The plan was to get something to eat from KFC, but that now went out the window as I felt it was rude to let 419 go, so I treated myself to a Gatwick return and scooped in the 442 on the 1630 SlugEx to the Airport.

I say the SlugEx as half the time it is never actually an Express to the Airport, as was evident on our way to Clapham. We crawled on the mainline just before clapham and embarrassingly got our arse kicked by a Southern 455 which flew past, though we did beat it at Clapham of course as it had to stop, but we went through at a slow, casual pace.
We picked up speed after Wandsworth but came to a slow crawl again at Selhurst and continued to do so until East Croydon P2 where we went through at walking pace. The signal changed to yellow just before we could stop, and we went on for a slow run to Purley where we went flying over to Gatwick, arriving there 3 minutes late.

I flagged the idea of the 1705 back in favour of getting a sandwich for £1 from Boots as I could do with something as a stop gap until I eventually make it to KFC later on, whenever that will be!
I decided to return on the 1720 GX to Victoria, which was 442419 again. The run was much better this time as we actually flew up to East Croydon and passed Clapham at proper speed. We got held outside Victoria (Birmingham New Street effect style) and then rolled into P13 at 1749.

On P14 was required 442420, so with some consulting and travel arrangements with myself, I took another Gatwick Return spin scooping in 442420 on the 1800 to the Airport.
The run was a bit faster that the previous outward trip, and we arrived into Gatwick at 1831.
The return was done on dud 442411 on the 1835 back to Victoria. This involved another slow run in the Croydon area again, and it felt like forever to get to Clapham. We actually managed to get a non stop run into Victoria which surprised me!
Arrival here was at 1909. If I didn't need to be on the 1950 from Waterloo, I'd be sorting another return out probably as I noticed required 442401 gleaming at me on P13!

Time to end my 442 jollys anyway, I didn't do too bad for someone who said I'd never travel on 442s much now....and today that's all I've mainly been on! Techiquest may remember me saying that I hated the refurb as the 159 style seats in the SWT 442s were much better, and I detested the refurb. Though I suppose it was like someone not liking a new class member that replaces their old favorite, hating it with a passion irrelavent to how good it might be. I've actually taken a liking to the new seats and actually, they aren't that bad once you get used to them.

So finally I make it to KFC and get my usual meal, then I head over to P9 for the 1423 to Clapham. Getting through the gates whilst holding by KFC bag and unfolding my eTicket with one hand was a mission. It was as hard as trying to play Jenga on a 143 on the Severn Beach straight!

4-BOX 455839 was on todays 1923 Epsom Downs service, and I took this to Clapham Junction where I got off to see a dusting of snow on the platforms and on the track. It was snowing!
No time to froth about it, I went over to P10 for the 1931 SWT service to Waterloo formed of another 4-BOX, this time dud 455720. I took this to journeys end arriving there at 1939.
Over to Psomething (P7 or 9 maybe?) a pair of 159s were waiting on the 1950 service to Honiton.
I forget what was on the rear but it was a dud 159/0. Up front was 159012...one off from 013! so close!
I jumped in 012 anyway and took it all the way back to Salisbury via Southampton.
Once we got to Basingstoke, I saw on the PIS screens that there was delays in the Fratton area due to 'safety checks'...whatever that was about :?

Nothing interesting happened on the way back to Salisbury, as I spent the whole time going through the Practice & Performance article and then trying my hand at the crossword.
We arrived into Salisbury at 2138, and I crossed over to P4 for the 2140 FGW service to Trowbridge, which was running 8 late, probably due to the froth checks in the Fratton area.
158763 rolled in at 2147, and we left on the booked delay time at 2148.
Time was made up by Westbury though as we arrived there only 4 late, leaving 5 down in the end but we arrived into Trowbridge only 1 minute late.
The doors didn't unlock straight away as we stopped, as the guard gave 6 beats on the buzzer, and then the driver shifted forward until the guard leaned on the buzzer, then we came to a stop.

As I got out, I noticed that the 158 had stopped by the 2 car stop after that shunt, but I wondered why he needed the guard to tell him to shunt up and when to stop for :? never seen that happen before here!

Snow had already reached Trowbridge earlier on in the day, but by now it was all slosh as it had been raining too. It wasn't cold outside either...not that I noticed anyway but the 159 and 158 heating systems were roasting hot, so I don't know if it was really cold or not!
A blanket TSR was in force on the footpaths due to the slippery conditions in places, and my WSP system did catch me slipping once slightly but not enough to fall over. I should have a sander fitted really!

I made it home in one piece to end a fantastic day out!


Enjoyed copping in many 442s and finally doing the SWT 159 diversion. Shame half the Southern network was up for engineering and also scattered with delays by power issues, but I still managed to get some things in the book, so it could have been worse!

I also looked up what the rail replacement bus was after Trowbridge, as apparently it was a bus to Cardiff. The connecting bus was indeed all the way to Cardiff, leaving Trowbridge at 2225, getting to Cardiff 3 HOURS and 14 mins later at 0139 :shock: OUCH!


Stats:

Mileage altogether - 529m 14ch
Highest Mileage on one train - 103m 68ch on 159012
Lowest Mileage on one train - 2m 59ch on 377127/424 and 455837/839
Best part of trip - Doing those 442 trips!
Worst part of trip - Sitting at Brighton forever on end waiting for the line to be clear to Lewes
Random Quote no.1 - "..find out the next train to the sun is next, and gets there quicker or something..."
Random Quote no.2 - "The gatwick express gets there superduper fast" (dunno about that myself!)
Random Quote no.3 - "You get compensation if you die but not if you've been previously convicted with drugs"
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Galvanize

Member
Joined
8 Jun 2005
Messages
1,130
Location
South East london
Great report James, all that 442 action, shame about being bowled by the 377 on the first trip to Brighton!! The run between Brighton and East Croydon does go by really quickly if your not thinking about it, all the shacks like Preston Park, Balcombe and even Gatwick Airport just go past in the flash!!
 

heart-of-wessex

Established Member
Joined
11 Jun 2005
Messages
3,087
Location
Trowbridge
Didn't know you could do it at stations, thanks for that :)
The eTicket was bought as it was a 2 days in advance decision, which is what the Downlander allows. Must use the Downlander if I do one on a weekday as it is more flexible then.

Glad you like it Josh, and yes if you are occupied, Brighton to Croydon isn't bad at all. If you stare out the window all the time, you soon get fed up of going up and down! Croydon to London is the worst part. There are things to see of course, but after having a fast run to Croydon, it's a stagger to London especially in the Southern GatEx when you catch up with everything!
 

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Joined
19 Jun 2005
Messages
21,846
Location
Nowhere Heath
Hello all,

Another day trip out for me yesterday as I went on my first Southern Downlander e-ticket rover, bought at 50p more than a Daysave as I could get it 2 days in advance before deadline.
The Brighton Mainline gala part of the name will explain itself...as I spent most my time on the London - Brighton leg! So heres the report:

Where does one get this Downlander from? Sounds like an awesome ticket and useful for someone like me who often doesn't have time to book 7 or more days in advance like I need to for the Daysave.

Since theres nothing to see on the route to Salisbury, I update my NREA book with the previous weekend moves, and flick through to update errors, like the usual ones of underlining a number but not ticking it for sight. Once thats done, we are near Salisbury.
Arrival there is at 0711, and I have a +10 onto the 0721 Waterloo. So I make use of the time to get a coffee from Pumpkins.

I often spend a lot of journey time flicking through my NREA on a dull/routine journey. Often when on the way to Birmingham on the first move of the day, handy to see then what's still required and helps makes plans. Not that those plans stick mind normally...!

Back over to P2, a pair of 159s await on the 0721 diverted service. 159013 is my last one for haulage but unfortunately is not on the train today so I sit in 159017 at the front.
As we leave on time, it becomes apparent that there is no heat...a non boiler 159? :lol:
As the gripper passes through, she mentions that the heater isn't working and even the driving cab is apparently cold!
A speedy and uneventful trip is in order until Redbridge where I get my notepad ready. 66953/569/502/504 (all dud for sight) are noted in the MCT as is 08873 in RES livery. I can't recall ever seeing that but according to my book its required for sight :shock:!

Ah yes, I remember the monster effort needed to get my last 159s. Takes forever doesn't it! Seems like a millenium since I last got on a 159...No heat 159s sounds awful, especially considering the weather conditions across the country yesterday!

Well done on getting the 08 in, I'm sure I've got it already but I'll need to check my NREA. As for why the 159s stop at Southampton Central on the diversions, I've no idea but I would expect it is to pick up pilot drivers.

Soon enough we are on the way and we storm through Southampton Airport Parkway (finally getting it for passage) and fly through Eastleigh. 08735 is noted in the yard, also required for sight apparently! 2 new 08s for sight in one day, that's been a LONG time since I've managed to do that!
After Shawford, our pace is slowed down for a short while, and then we pick up speed and launch through Winchester. Another slow run is in order over Worting Junction where we finally arrive into Basingstoke 2 minutes late. Delay is not an issue though as we are booked for a 10 minute layover either case, so we leave ontime at 0830.

Well done on finally passing SAP, I've done it at least 3 times. Must have seemed strange going through Eastleigh on 159s though! 08735, no idea about that one either but I got two 08s for sight I needed in one day on The Concrete Cow, got both of them at Southall although it was close with the second one :D

My ticket is a day return to Waterloo (not an advance for a change!) but I bail at Clapham Junction P7. All will become clear as to why I got a Waterloo return later.
Arrival is at 0908, and my first plan was to get the 0913 to Brighton. Many of you who know me probably know I don't use plans as they can easily get screwed up, but the 0913 was a planned move as I could get to Brighton.
However I should know that a plan on the Southern will never work as is already proven...the 0913 is canned!
According to the screens, there is a power problem in the Gatwick area, what a grand start to the Downlander bash!

Seems so strange you not going to London via Bath! FGW will be missing you, and I suspect there's a lot less litter along the GWML since you won't have thrown lots of plans out of the droplight :lol:

When I looked in the timetable yesterday, the 1006 Victoria - Brighton had a black square in the notes, meaning it's a 442 service. A change of plan saw me aim for that but I had time to kill yet. I decided to get a local Victoria service from P14, which was the 0911 to Viccy. 377127 was on the service, so I took that for a leap to the terminal since it was required.
Still time to spare, so I jumped on required 377424 on the 0936 service for a leap back to Clapham Junction. As we went over Grosvenor Bridge, I noticed a 10-WES pass us. Looking at the times, this was the ex-Brighton service running a tad late that forms the 1006 return, jolly good!

Good thing you reminded me of those, I need almost all 442s so even if I just do a couple of leaps I should be laughing *adds idea 1,304,583 to my list of things to do next time I'm in London* :lol:

At Clapham, I crossed over to P14 for another local back. I would have gone to P12 for another 377 scratch, but the 0950 to Victoria was canned. 4-BOX number 455837 was on offer on the 2 minutes late 0945 to Viccy, and it was required so I jumped on.
On the approach to Victoria, I noticed the 10-WES heading out of Victoria...OI, where are you going!?!
A look in the times suggests that it is actually 5T65 to Stewarts Lane. Oh well, maybe it's another 442?

At least you got another 455 in the book this time. Can picture you bellowing "OI!" as you arrived into Victoria! :lol:

We arrived into Victoria at 0956. I head over to the concourse to see the 1006 is due out of P16...hmmmm. Over at P16 I see a trio of 377/3s allocated to the 1006 Brighton Express...bah! I go for it anyway as I would like to do Brighton at somepoint today!
377307 and 320 are my last ones for sight but are not on the trio set today. In fact none of them are required for haulage either, so I settle with dud 377312 up front.
Departure is right time, and we head for our pick ups at Clapham and Croydon, then it's RA Brighton.
I forgot that it's a rock and roll ride on the 377s over junctions, first noticable at Stoats Nest Jn as we bounce around like mad over the trackwork!
We bomb round the Quarry lines and carry on speeding until Gatwick, where we crawl through and have a slow run to Three Bridges.
A Horsham 377 passes us on the slow lines and we continue our slow pace right up to Haywards Heath where oddly we are shoved onto the loop line through P1.

Ah yes, I remember trios of 377/3s to Brighton, been a good few years since I last did that. Done trios of 377/5s to Brighton since mind. It really can be rock and roll over some of those junctions, but it adds to the fun. So long as you're not standing up that is!

Back down to the blocks, I see they are allocated to work the 1149 Brighton Express to Victoria. Sounds good enough to me, so I head to the leading 5-WES, 442421.
Before I sit down in the motor coach, I use to loo, which in my opinion is a proper restroom, full on working hand dryer that blows out hot air and actually has hot water.

Can't remember the on-board facilities, but they must have been alright otherwise I'd have complained about them after The Ruby Rover. Well done on getting a pair of 442s in eventually, even though it was a lot later than planned!

We then raced up to Clapham Junction where I looked up by chance to see a 444+450 combo heading for waterloo. Never seen that combo in the flesh before, but it does look odd coupled to a 444, probably due to the 2 different liveries.

Can't recall ever seeing a 444+450 pairing myself before, would definitely look weird though!

Victoria was reached at 1243 in P15, so I alighted to see if it works back. It does indeed work out on the 1306 Brighton Express to...Brighton (well wouldn't be Uckfield would it!)
I wanted to return on it as 442424 was required for haulage too, so I took a seat in 424 and settled in for a return run to Brighton.
We left ontime at 1306 and I spent the whole journey reading through my magazine, and listening to some normals sitting behind me. Before you ask, I'm no nosey earwigger but if they talk loud to the point you end up listening without trying, or start talking about trains, then I'm tuned in :lol:

Your 442 mileage must be quite significant now, same for your NREA in the relevant part! Same when it comes to overhearing converse about trains, I'm always interested!

The latter applied in this case as someone said the train calls at Gatwick en-route...are you sure? The same person said it did say Gatwick Express outside on the train too....again, are you sure?! Thankfully it sounded like they were actually going to Brighton, but were a tad surprised that we passed Gatwick, ironic as it's funny how it says Gatwick Express outside (...no...IT DOES NOT SAY GATWICK EXPRESS OUTSIDE!! Jeeez!) :lol:

:lol::lol::lol:

Back at Brighton yet again, the 442s were allocated to the 1419 back to Victoria. Since both were now dud, I opted for something different, maybe a leap on a hopeful required 313 to Hove. The 1414 shuttle was the next service out but wait! Canned....jesus not another cancellation! Apparently this time it was due to a power fault in the Worthing area.
Ok...plan B yet again then! The 1410 Seaford was the next offering, but that was rammed to the rafters as there was a match at the Brighton and Hove stadium at Falmer.

I'd have given it a go on that train if it were me, I daresay it was frustrating to deal with all the problems yesterday though!

The 1422 to Lewes took my eye though as I havent done a terminator into Lewes P5 yet.
The 1410 left and I joined the small queue on Platform 8 (crowd control queues in operation on P8) and at 1412, a pair of 377/3s rolled in to form the 1422 service.
The pair were 377321 and 322, and I managed to bag a seat at the front of 321, a required for haulage 377.
Not long after I sat down on the offside by the window, I noticed two people run past the train in plain clothes with rucksacks on heading towards the blocks. I was going to make this aware to staff but since they were running to the buffer ends, they'd no doubt be seen anyway since the BTP were at that end.

Not done a terminating train into Lewes myself yet, but done the relevant platform yonks ago. The crossovers though remain required! You may be interested in a thread I'm due to create later, all the red pen action you've got on this trip must have been great for your book!

Since we were just sitting there, some more football fans were let on and it soon became full and standing. I was wondering if we would be off this millenium, but at 1445, the power was back on and we were let out at 1446, 24 minutes late.
I wanted to be back at Brighton for the 1519 London Express, so a return to Lewes now probably meant I'd end up missing it.
In the end, I bailed at Falmer as its the last shack between Brighton and Lewes I need anyway. I hoped that there would be something back soon, and sure enough there was a 1436 ex-Bexhill running late due at 1501.
It was RRBs from Bexhill to Ashford today, but I wondered if a 171 would be out anyway. Not today by the looks of it, as 377113 was on the service. Well that's another 377 in the book.
Uckfield was also blocked from Oxted too, with just East Grinstead services running, so I think it was a no diesel day today.

Need Falmer myself, that delay must have been super annoying at Brighton though! Think I should have gone to Selhurst, I might have finally found my last 171 for sight. Good thing you weren't hoping to up your 171 haulages ain't it! :lol:

I returned at Brighton again for the millionth time, and waited for the stock for the 1519 to come in, which eventually rolled in at 1517 with 442418 and 442409 on the diagram.
418 was actually dud but 409 was required so I took a seat in the ex-buffet coach. A 2 minute turnaround wasn't achievable as expected, but we left at 1522, not too late really.
A storming run came to and end at Haywards Heath as we came to an abrupt stop in P3 for some reason, but the cab was roughly in the middle of the platform. After about 2 seconds, we were on the way again. Dunno what that was about, being where we stopped it could have been to drop something or someone off maybe?

418 is dud for me too, all the way back in spring 2005 when I had it from
Weymouth to Southampton Airport Parkway. Nearly stayed on it for longer, as I only woke up in time to get off! Ah, memories...

No gen on the Haywards Heath stop, could have been a DSD thing?

5-WES 442419 caught my eye next to me at P14, and I checked my NREA to see that it is a required 442....hmmmm. The plan was to get something to eat from KFC, but that now went out the window as I felt it was rude to let 419 go, so I treated myself to a Gatwick return and scooped in the 442 on the 1630 SlugEx to the Airport.

Wish I could have been there to bellow "DUD!" :lol:

I say the SlugEx as half the time it is never actually an Express to the Airport, as was evident on our way to Clapham. We crawled on the mainline just before clapham and embarrassingly got our arse kicked by a Southern 455 which flew past, though we did beat it at Clapham of course as it had to stop, but we went through at a slow, casual pace.
We picked up speed after Wandsworth but came to a slow crawl again at Selhurst and continued to do so until East Croydon P2 where we went through at walking pace. The signal changed to yellow just before we could stop, and we went on for a slow run to Purley where we went flying over to Gatwick, arriving there 3 minutes late.

Nowt unusual there as you say, I never see them fly through Croydon these days but occasionally through Clapham Junction. Not been on a GatEx run for several years mind.

I flagged the idea of the 1705 back in favour of getting a sandwich for £1 from Boots as I could do with something as a stop gap until I eventually make it to KFC later on, whenever that will be!
I decided to return on the 1720 GX to Victoria, which was 442419 again. The run was much better this time as we actually flew up to East Croydon and passed Clapham at proper speed. We got held outside Victoria (Birmingham New Street effect style) and then rolled into P13 at 1749.

£1 for a sandwich, from Boots?! Crikey that was lucky! 442s are great when at speed aren't they?

On P14 was required 442420, so with some consulting and travel arrangements with myself, I took another Gatwick Return spin scooping in 442420 on the 1800 to the Airport.
The run was a bit faster that the previous outward trip, and we arrived into Gatwick at 1831.
The return was done on dud 442411 on the 1835 back to Victoria. This involved another slow run in the Croydon area again, and it felt like forever to get to Clapham. We actually managed to get a non stop run into Victoria which surprised me!
Arrival here was at 1909. If I didn't need to be on the 1950 from Waterloo, I'd be sorting another return out probably as I noticed required 442401 gleaming at me on P13!

Required, required and dud. You can tell I need a lot of them just from this lot: http://techniquest.railmiles.org/class-442/ Shame you had to be on the 1950 from Waterloo, I daresay you'd have been like me and wanting to just keep going!

Time to end my 442 jollys anyway, I didn't do too bad for someone who said I'd never travel on 442s much now....and today that's all I've mainly been on! Techiquest may remember me saying that I hated the refurb as the 159 style seats in the SWT 442s were much better, and I detested the refurb. Though I suppose it was like someone not liking a new class member that replaces their old favorite, hating it with a passion irrelavent to how good it might be. I've actually taken a liking to the new seats and actually, they aren't that bad once you get used to them.

I do remember you saying that, it was the reason you didn't do The Ruby Rover wasn't it? You may remember I hated the 442s with a fiery passion for a long time, then I gave them a go again on that tour and loved them! Those seats are alright, fair dos. I managed to sleep on them alright so they can't be too bad!

So finally I make it to KFC and get my usual meal, then I head over to P9 for the 1423 to Clapham. Getting through the gates whilst holding by KFC bag and unfolding my eTicket with one hand was a mission. It was as hard as trying to play Jenga on a 143 on the Severn Beach straight!

I know that feeling, had to try that sort of thing with my usual Burger King meal when I came back from Paddington the other week. I fussed about with getting my tickets out and the bloody barriers accepted my Advance without query. Makes a change as usually it demands someone sees the reservation too! Loved the analogy! :lol:

Up front was 159012...one off from 013! so close!
I jumped in 012 anyway and took it all the way back to Salisbury via Southampton.
Once we got to Basingstoke, I saw on the PIS screens that there was delays in the Fratton area due to 'safety checks'...whatever that was about :?

Reminds me of those grabber machines in the arcades at the funfair when you lose and it goes "Oh so close!" :lol: No gen about the Fratton area checks, not heard owt but I would guess it was weather related.

158763 rolled in at 2147, and we left on the booked delay time at 2148.
Time was made up by Westbury though as we arrived there only 4 late, leaving 5 down in the end but we arrived into Trowbridge only 1 minute late.
The doors didn't unlock straight away as we stopped, as the guard gave 6 beats on the buzzer, and then the driver shifted forward until the guard leaned on the buzzer, then we came to a stop.

As I got out, I noticed that the 158 had stopped by the 2 car stop after that shunt, but I wondered why he needed the guard to tell him to shunt up and when to stop for :? never seen that happen before here!

158763, still remember disliking that one for some reason mainly years ago, as well as remembering it for happy reasons from Man Picc to Leeds on a meet with heart-of-wessex and Sprinter up there in November 2005. Seems like a million years ago!

Very odd that thing at Trowbridge, no idea what that was about.

A blanket TSR was in force on the footpaths due to the slippery conditions in places, and my WSP system did catch me slipping once slightly but not enough to fall over. I should have a sander fitted really!

I made it home in one piece to end a fantastic day out!

Love the idea of fitting a sander! Not surprised you needed emergency TSRs up Wicker Hill, it can be challenging to walk up after a hard's day bashing let alone after lots of white fluffy stuff getting in the way! :lol:

Enjoyed copping in many 442s and finally doing the SWT 159 diversion. Shame half the Southern network was up for engineering and also scattered with delays by power issues, but I still managed to get some things in the book, so it could have been worse!

I also looked up what the rail replacement bus was after Trowbridge, as apparently it was a bus to Cardiff. The connecting bus was indeed all the way to Cardiff, leaving Trowbridge at 2225, getting to Cardiff 3 HOURS and 14 mins later at 0139 :shock: OUCH!

Glad you've finally got over your adversion to 442s, we'll have to try and arrange a 442 bash later in the year :D Plenty of new lines in the book by the look of it, and a lot of mileage for the ching! Ouch indeed for the RRBS to Cardiff, wouldn't have fancied doing that!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top