• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

GWSR and CWR mileage data, where can I find it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Joined
19 Jun 2005
Messages
21,839
Location
Nowhere Heath
Hi all,

Having recently done Cheltenham Racecourse to Broadway and back on the Gloucestershire-Warwickshire Steam Railway (GWSR) and Wallingford to Cholsey and back on the Cholsey & Wallingford Railway (CWR), I’m in need of mileage data.

I’m not well versed in anything heritage, indeed I’ve just remembered that the Llangollen Railway’s been extended and that could be a fun little outing soon. So please forgive my ignorance on the best source for heritage railway mileages :)

Thanks in advance :)
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

35B

Established Member
Joined
19 Dec 2011
Messages
5,555
I always use @pdeaves excellent Railway Codes and other data site for looking up information like this. If you don't have your Quail to hand (which will have the mileages but also the ELR references), go to the "Other Assets" page, then click "Stations" and search from one of the stations you're interested in. You sometimes need to be a little creative for preserved lines to find a station that is on an NR route to then find the preserved route off it. For the two you're interested in, the details are at:
Cholsey & Wallingford - http://www.railwaycodes.org.uk/elrs/_mileages/w/wal.shtm
GWSR - http://www.railwaycodes.org.uk/elrs/_mileages/h/hcl.shtm
 

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Joined
19 Jun 2005
Messages
21,839
Location
Nowhere Heath
Very much appreciated that! I see what you mean, it takes some finding for specific stations. I’ll have to have more of a play with it for other (potential) heritage railways when I have more time, I couldn’t find Chinnor on my initial search.

Why Chinnor? Planning ahead for a possible visit later this summer :)
 

zwk500

Veteran Member
Joined
20 Jan 2020
Messages
18,634
Location
Northampton
Very much appreciated that! I see what you mean, it takes some finding for specific stations. I’ll have to have more of a play with it for other (potential) heritage railways when I have more time, I couldn’t find Chinnor on my initial search.

Why Chinnor? Planning ahead for a possible visit later this summer :)

Mileage for the Princes Risborough to Chinnor Branch. For heritage railways the best way I have found is to use OpenRailwayMap to either look at the heritage line's ELR, or find the open line that the heritage railway branched off, and then click through the connecting ELRs.

Note there are 2 competing versions of ORM, with the '.org' version showing more historical information, and the '.app' version showing more detailed current running like loading gauge.
1778568712216.png
1778568789012.png
ELRs are usually descriptive (Either A-B e.g. Princes Risborough to Chinnor or a colloquial name, e.g. THAme branch for Princes Risborough to Oxford via Thame), which helps when guessing which line to take!
 

35B

Established Member
Joined
19 Dec 2011
Messages
5,555
Very much appreciated that! I see what you mean, it takes some finding for specific stations. I’ll have to have more of a play with it for other (potential) heritage railways when I have more time, I couldn’t find Chinnor on my initial search.

Why Chinnor? Planning ahead for a possible visit later this summer :)
@zwk500 has educated me on ways to find line references; I'd normally just go to my copies of the Quail Trackmaps diagrams to cross-refer. But I'd always start at the Network Rail end of the line - of the two you suggested, Wallingford was easy because Cholsey is on the main line whereas I had to think about the GWSR (ultimately digging down from Honeybourne).

If I could be cheeky and add a feature list to @pdeaves's long list, it would be great if stations on preserved lines could be added to the index
 

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Joined
19 Jun 2005
Messages
21,839
Location
Nowhere Heath
100% with you on that, it would be very useful indeed :) I’ve had a quick play with it and I’ve noted that with the ELRs. I got rid of my Quails many years ago, almost 8 years ago to the day I believe, so I’m well out of the loop with understanding ELRs and all that!
 

duffield

Established Member
Joined
31 Jul 2013
Messages
3,301
Location
East Midlands
If it's any use, here's my mileage for the GWSR (re-based from Cheltenham Racecourse, made up "CRS" codes), derived from Platform 5's "Track Atlas of Mainland Britain".

CRC
0m00c
GOT
3m26c
WIN
6m60c
HAB
8m21c
TOD
9m25c
BWY13m68c
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top