• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

GWR Trainee Train Driver - Heathrow Express (Paddington)

Status
Not open for further replies.

amalek

Member
Joined
19 May 2025
Messages
33
Location
London
Hi all, anyone here waiting in a pool or still in the recruitment stage of HEX. Struggled to find a lot of information for HEX so thought it would help it having its own thread.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

HZM19

Member
Joined
27 Oct 2025
Messages
17
Location
london
Hey mate,

I'm in the pool too. Thanks for starting a thread as there's not a lot of information on this forum regarding HEX. This should be useful.
 

amalek

Member
Joined
19 May 2025
Messages
33
Location
London
Yeah was hard to filter through main line comments. How long you been in the pool for ?
 

HZM19

Member
Joined
27 Oct 2025
Messages
17
Location
london
I attended the assessment day at Watford on 05 Feb. Has my DMI on 17 march and was told I was successful on 09 April. So I guess I've been in the pool since 09 April.

How about you?
 

amalek

Member
Joined
19 May 2025
Messages
33
Location
London
Applied 23rd Oct 25
Video interview 31st Oct 25
OPC 3rd Feb 26
DMI 11th Mar 26

So it’s been pretty smooth running to be honest but now it’s the waiting game. I’m hoping because its HEX there wouldn’t be as many people on the talent pool as Main line.
But a little worried with the HEX contract running out 2028 and Sadiq Khan trying to end the service
 

karail

New Member
Joined
28 May 2026
Messages
4
Location
London
Hey mate. Did you get the email today?
Hey mate. Just thought I’d chime in here seeing as I am also in the HEX pool. Was the email referring to spaces for 2026/27 being filled? If so, I also received the same email. What could this mean for the people still in the reserve pool?
 

HZM19

Member
Joined
27 Oct 2025
Messages
17
Location
london
Hey mate.

Gutted to receive the email this morning as I was hopeful HEX was separate from the normal pool. It has been a quick process so far going by industry standards, but to receive the email today was a downer.
I honestly don't know what to expect now. Could be a year or two before we hear back. Not sure. It does say 'should things change' so fingers crossed we hear back sooner rather than later.

Cheers
 

amalek

Member
Joined
19 May 2025
Messages
33
Location
London
Hi mate yeah I’ve just seen that email. Absolutely gutted. Won’t be considered till 2028 and that’s also when GWR contract with HEX ends. With Sadiq Khan wanting to end HEX services it isn’t looking good
 

Tram Inn SB

Member
Joined
24 Apr 2026
Messages
76
Location
pontypool
Hi mate yeah I’ve just seen that email. Absolutely gutted. Won’t be considered till 2028 and that’s also when GWR contract with HEX ends. With Sadiq Khan wanting to end HEX services it isn’t looking good

The Mayor has no control over HEX so don’t worry about that.

If I was you I would use my assessment pass to look for other opportunities in your area, “talent pools” are notorious for keeping people in limbo for years then dropping you with a generic email like a stone.
 
Last edited by a moderator:

MamaPara2

Member
Joined
31 May 2026
Messages
18
Location
Slough
I am also waiting for a Hex start date following the devastating email received on Thursday.
Do you really think we will be waiting until 2028? I'm gutted.
Am I pinning all my hopes of finally being successful at my dream job on potentially nothing? Honestly gutted.

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

Anyone have any answers to my above questions please
 
Last edited:

amalek

Member
Joined
19 May 2025
Messages
33
Location
London
We are all in the same position so I don’t think anyone here has any answers as everyone is as unsure as you are.
 

traineeyh

Member
Joined
5 Oct 2025
Messages
39
Location
london
I am also waiting for a Hex start date following the devastating email received on Thursday.
Do you really think we will be waiting until 2028? I'm gutted.
Am I pinning all my hopes of finally being successful at my dream job on potentially nothing? Honestly gutted.

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

Anyone have any answers to my above questions please
I get why you’re gutted, but honestly I don’t think you’ll be waiting anywhere near that long.

I did my interview late Jan and got given a start date for November, so there is movement, it just takes time.

When you factor in medicals, training courses, and the fact drivers are always leaving or retiring, things do start to open up. Plus with the government pushing for more services, there’ll likely be more movement across companies as drivers shift around.

Also, you’ve already passed the hard part by getting through, so even if this takes time, you’re in a strong position and can apply to other TOCs as well.
 

MamaPara2

Member
Joined
31 May 2026
Messages
18
Location
Slough
I see lots are still doing MMI and DMI. How comes they're still actively recruiting with no courses available?
 

SmugStarlord

Member
Joined
11 May 2026
Messages
63
Location
Twyford
I see lots are still doing MMI and DMI. How comes they're still actively recruiting with no courses available?

Again, it depends on the depot you applied for, same as the post you made in the other thread.
Have you applied for HEX or a GWR depot?
 

transportphoto

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
Quizmaster
Joined
21 Jan 2010
Messages
5,578
Given there’s no active recruitment for Heathrow Express drivers, I’m going to bring this thread to a close for now. Please do pick up conversation in the ongoing more general GWR thread.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top