• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

GWR Touch Card Start Journey from TFL Station

Status
Not open for further replies.

njr001

Member
Joined
8 Feb 2013
Messages
241
Several days ago I used GWR's booking engine to find times of trains from Rickmansworth to Aylesbury Vale Parkway (as I had the site bookmarked on my computer.) When I checked fares and delivery options it showed that a GWR touch card could be used, as travel is not until this weekend I applied for a touch card which I have just received two days later.

Will it really work for this journey touching in at Rickmansworth?
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Joshua_Harman

Member
Joined
2 Feb 2021
Messages
139
Location
London
Yes, a ticket or travel card loaded onto a national rail Smartcard will work within the appropriate zones and stations and on buses for travel cards, but they cannot be topped up within London because the TVM’s are equipped to deal with oyster and cannot read ITSO cards (except at St.Pancras where there is one or two machines that can read NR Smartcards but I haven’t tried them to see if it will work) I also don’t know which ticket offices will / can do it, but if you can buy it online or from another national rail station then it will work as normal, just tap, and go.
 

MrJeeves

Established Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Joined
28 Aug 2015
Messages
4,709
Location
Burgess Hill
Several days ago I used GWR's booking engine to find times of trains from Rickmansworth to Aylesbury Vale Parkway (as I had the site bookmarked on my computer.) When I checked fares and delivery options it showed that a GWR touch card could be used, as travel is not until this weekend I applied for a touch card which I have just received two days later.

Will it really work for this journey touching in at Rickmansworth?
Yep! TfL have been equipped with ITSO compatibility since September 2014 as part of a project named ITSO on Prestige. You just have to have an appropriate ticket loaded onto the smartcard in advance for it to work.
 

CyrusWuff

Established Member
Joined
20 May 2013
Messages
5,465
Location
London
It should work is probably a more accurate statement. The gateline configuration at the Met Line stations in Zones 7 to 9 is more than a little bit flakey where ITSO's involved!

Upon querying this with TfL Customer Services, it's been reported that they've told the customer to inform the retailer that products shouldn't be being issued on ITSO and they should swap it for a paper ticket!
 

redreni

Established Member
Joined
24 Sep 2010
Messages
2,715
Location
Slade Green
It should work is probably a more accurate statement. The gateline configuration at the Met Line stations in Zones 7 to 9 is more than a little bit flakey where ITSO's involved!

Upon querying this with TfL Customer Services, it's been reported that they've told the customer to inform the retailer that products shouldn't be being issued on ITSO and they should swap it for a paper ticket!
Sounds like we're definitely ready to get rid of ticket offices.
 

njr001

Member
Joined
8 Feb 2013
Messages
241
Many thanks for the replies. I'll give it a try on Sunday.

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

Happy to report it worked without any problem including on return touching in at Amersham rather than Aylesbury Vale Parkway
 
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top