• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

GWR Stock On The Woodhead Route

Status
Not open for further replies.

RichmondCommu

Established Member
Joined
23 Feb 2010
Messages
6,906
Location
Richmond, London
G'day everyone,

Way back in I think 1979, on one of my irregular trips to the Woodhead route I saw two class 76s haui a rake of GWR stock past Torside signal box. On the assumption that it must have been a rail tour can anyone tell me who owned the rolling stock and whether in 2017 they are still available to run on the network?

Any information would be gratefully received :)

Kind regards,

Richmond Commuter!
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Harpers Tate

Established Member
Joined
10 May 2013
Messages
2,054
attachment.php


Stock came from (so I'm not claiming I know of actual ownership) the Severn Valley Railway, I believe. This picture must be of a different tour as there is only one loco here. A similar location with BR blue/grey mk1s in my collection is double-headed.
 

Attachments

  • 1979-40 Penistone.jpg
    1979-40 Penistone.jpg
    138.7 KB · Views: 185
Last edited:

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Joined
15 Apr 2016
Messages
18,950
Location
Devon
In the 1970s that stock was used on a few railtours I think.
Is it basically the same set as used on the current Severn Valley Limited dining train does anyone know (set S I believe)?
 

muddythefish

On Moderation
Joined
13 May 2014
Messages
1,582
G'day everyone,

Way back in I think 1979, on one of my irregular trips to the Woodhead route I saw two class 76s haui a rake of GWR stock past Torside signal box. On the assumption that it must have been a rail tour can anyone tell me who owned the rolling stock and whether in 2017 they are still available to run on the network?

Any information would be gratefully received :)

Kind regards,

Richmond Commuter!

Yep, probably the SVR rake or could be the GWS train.

Either way, neither have run on the national metals for years owing to cost / health / safety etc.
 
Last edited:

Clarence Yard

Established Member
Joined
18 Dec 2014
Messages
3,272
Yep, probably the SVR rake or could be the GWS train.

Either way, neither have run on the national metals for years owing to cost / health / safety etc.

It was the GWS rake (I was on it that day!) and it hasn't been out on the main line in decades. It doesn't comply with the current main line regs.
 

muddythefish

On Moderation
Joined
13 May 2014
Messages
1,582
It was the GWS rake (I was on it that day!) and it hasn't been out on the main line in decades. It doesn't comply with the current main line regs.

What a waste. They should sell some coaches to the SVR - then at least the public could enjoy travelling in them !
 

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Joined
15 Apr 2016
Messages
18,950
Location
Devon
I was completely wrong, apologies. Do all these live at Didcot still then?
 

theblackwatch

Established Member
Joined
15 Feb 2006
Messages
10,889
It was the GWS rake (I was on it that day!) and it hasn't been out on the main line in decades. It doesn't comply with the current main line regs.

I'm rather jealous of that! Never even managed a 76 for haulage here, just saw a load on Guide Bridge....
 

theblackwatch

Established Member
Joined
15 Feb 2006
Messages
10,889
What a waste. They should sell some coaches to the SVR - then at least the public could enjoy travelling in them !

Certainly not a waste - the GWS charitable objectives are "TO PRESERVE, RESTORE AND OPERATE AS A PERMANENT PUBLIC EXHIBITION AND MUSEUM, STEAM AND OTHER RAILWAY LOCOMOTIVES, ROLLING STOCK AND EQUIPMENT WITH PARTICULAR REFERENCE TO THE FORMER GREAT WESTERN RAILWAY, BOTH FOR HISTORICAL AND EDUCATIONAL PURPOSES". The ownership and exhibition of these coaches (which are also used on demonstration trains) enable the GWS to fulfill these requirements.
 

RichmondCommu

Established Member
Joined
23 Feb 2010
Messages
6,906
Location
Richmond, London
Where at Didcot are these vehicles kept? I've visited a couple of times over the years but can't remember seeing them.

I'm away from home this week, don't have the photo to hand and so it may well be that the train was only hauled by one loco.
 
Last edited:

RichmondCommu

Established Member
Joined
23 Feb 2010
Messages
6,906
Location
Richmond, London
Having returned home for the first time this week and checked through my collection of photos the train in question was indeed hauled by only one loco and that was 76046. The train was formed of seven coaches and the loco has clearly had a bit of a clean!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top