• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

GWR on-board announcement 'FRA-UN'

Status
Not open for further replies.

WombleGuard

Member
Joined
16 Dec 2019
Messages
211
Location
London
Genius on the GWR when arriving at Fratton, there's no attempt at the plummy Queens English at all and (just like us locals) there's no 't' s in the word. Is it just a quirk of the system or was someone programming having a laugh?
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

py_megapixel

Established Member
Joined
5 Nov 2018
Messages
7,523
Location
Northern England
As far as I know, these systems simply work by having someone record every station name, and phrases such as "This is a service to" and "The next stop is." How words are pronounced will come down to the accent of whoever did those recordings.
 

Wychwood93

Member
Joined
25 Jan 2018
Messages
693
Location
Burton. Dorset.
As far as I know, these systems simply work by having someone record every station name, and phrases such as "This is a service to" and "The next stop is." How words are pronounced will come down to the accent of whoever did those recordings.
Southampton could come out as 'Sam-tun'?
 

superalbs

Verified Rep - Superalbs Travels
Joined
3 Jul 2014
Messages
2,863
Location
Kraków
Yeah, GWR's announcements are terrible, the voice is insufferably awful.
 

Ashley Hill

Established Member
Joined
8 Dec 2019
Messages
5,686
Location
The West Country
There's another thread somewhere on here about on board announcements. Basically most people agree that the Train FX equiptment is poor hence the crap announcements.
 

farwest

Member
Joined
25 Apr 2008
Messages
161
Location
Cornwall
GWR on board announcements are far too verbose at every station. Need ear defenders and a cushion to use GWR trains now.
 

trebor79

Established Member
Joined
8 Mar 2018
Messages
4,912
Yeah, GWR's announcements are terrible, the voice is insufferably awful.
I always think she sounds far too cheerful when saying "We will be calling at Swindon". Very precise annunciation, which makes for clear announcements, but they do grate slightly.
 

Parallel

Established Member
Joined
9 Dec 2013
Messages
4,543
The GWR current system voice was an improvement on the one used before...
 

Dai Corner

Established Member
Joined
20 Jul 2015
Messages
6,998
Portsmouth to Cardiff with each station announced in the local accent would certainly be interesting to hear!
 

alangla

Member
Joined
11 Apr 2018
Messages
1,178
Location
Glasgow
This is the Great Western Service from Penzance to London Paddington, the next station is Snerth

With XC trains leaving Penzance, if the guard reads out every stop he’s just about got “Motherwell and Glasgow Central” out before it stops in Snerth...
 

Ashley Hill

Established Member
Joined
8 Dec 2019
Messages
5,686
Location
The West Country
The Penzance - Milford Haven was like that too in Wales & West days. Add to that the difficulties in pronouniation. Pontycleen instead of Ponty-clun and Pen-coid and not Pen-co-ed etc. It helped having Welsh buffet girls on board to help.
 

fgwrich

Established Member
Joined
15 Apr 2009
Messages
10,664
Location
Hampshire
This is the Great Western Service from Penzance to London Paddington, the next station is Snerth

I'm glad I'm not the only one who's noticed how she pronounces her Ss. It was at one point that bad that she sounded like a Snake "ThiSSS ISS A Great Wessstern Railwaysss Sssservice to BaaaSINGStokee"
 

fgwrich

Established Member
Joined
15 Apr 2009
Messages
10,664
Location
Hampshire
The GWR current system voice was an improvement on the one used before...

There is a Turbo still out there with that voice - 114 I think. I last had it back in December as my train home, where it was reminding me to take note of improvement works in the London and Cardiff Areas over Christmas 2016.
 

TUC

Established Member
Joined
11 Nov 2010
Messages
5,108
Can't be as bad as Northern's chirpy Geordie voice. I feel patronised whenever I hear it, and I say that as a north easterner.
 
Joined
20 Nov 2019
Messages
695
Location
Merthyr Tydfil
I'm glad I'm not the only one who's noticed how she pronounces her Ss. It was at one point that bad that she sounded like a Snake "ThiSSS ISS A Great Wessstern Railwaysss Sssservice to BaaaSINGStokee"

I feel like that's quite an exaggeration, but I know what you mean. I don't mind the voice myself, she at least sounds a bit more upbeat than others.

I don't really like the male voice on TPE 185s, started to bug me after a while. Have they carried it over to the Nova fleet?
 

northernbelle

Member
Joined
10 Oct 2018
Messages
777
Genius on the GWR when arriving at Fratton, there's no attempt at the plummy Queens English at all and (just like us locals) there's no 't' s in the word. Is it just a quirk of the system or was someone programming having a laugh?
It's actually quite an old fashioned pronunciation. A double 't' pronounced silently is known as a 'glottal stop', apparently...
 

northernbelle

Member
Joined
10 Oct 2018
Messages
777
I feel like that's quite an exaggeration, but I know what you mean. I don't mind the voice myself, she at least sounds a bit more upbeat than others.

I don't really like the male voice on TPE 185s, started to bug me after a while. Have they carried it over to the Nova fleet?
I agree. She's far better than what she replaced and far more comprehendible which is kind of the point. She's also less prone to mispronouncing things - classic examples of the previous voice including St "Buddoh" Ferry Road, Bletchworth (sic) and Mont"pee Lee uh"...
 

pompeyfan

Established Member
Joined
24 Jan 2012
Messages
4,445
I can’t say I’ve noticed the pronunciation of Fratton, but Cosham puts a wry smile on my face because it sounds really suggestive.
 

johnnychips

Established Member
Joined
19 Nov 2011
Messages
3,826
Location
Leeds
I agree. She's far better than what she replaced and far more comprehendible which is kind of the point. She's also less prone to mispronouncing things - classic examples of the previous voice including St "Buddoh" Ferry Road, Bletchworth (sic) and Mont"pee Lee uh"...
How do you pronounce Montpelier in Bristol? I actually lived there for three months but I’ve forgotten!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top