• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

GWR direct service to Birmingham

Status
Not open for further replies.

TT-ONR-NRN

Veteran Member
Joined
30 Dec 2016
Messages
12,895
Location
Cambridge
Good morning,

I have heard lots of rumours that Great Western Railway are planning to introduce direct services from London Paddington to Birmingham New Street via Oxford.

Is this true?

Thanks.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Joined
7 Apr 2010
Messages
34,313
Good morning,

I have heard lots of rumours that Great Western Railway are planning to introduce direct services from London Paddington to Birmingham New Street via Oxford.

Is this true?

Thanks.

Well I'm going with a definite NO. Never seen anything remotely approaching such a thing, IIRC the nearest option in recent studies or consultation has been a possibility of the GW franchise going back to Stratford on Avon...
 

Harbornite

Established Member
Joined
7 May 2016
Messages
3,627
Good morning,

I have heard lots of rumours that Great Western Railway are planning to introduce direct services from London Paddington to Birmingham New Street via Oxford.

Is this true?

Thanks.

You can dismiss those rumours, Birmingham won't be getting and doesn't need another service to London. Until operation Princess, there were Virgin XC services from Paddington to Liverpool/Manchester via New Street, but they were axed because the Voyagers weren't ATP fitted and there was a shortage of paths.
 

TT-ONR-NRN

Veteran Member
Joined
30 Dec 2016
Messages
12,895
Location
Cambridge
Wikipedia says...

The proposals for Great Western Railway include:
* an introduction of a service between {{Stnlnk|Birmingham New Street}} and London Paddington;
* a reduction in services between {{Stnlnk|Oxford}} and London Paddington because of the [[Chiltern Railways]] service between {{Stnlnk|London Marylebone}} and {{Stnlnk|Oxford}};
 

Darandio

Established Member
Joined
24 Feb 2007
Messages
11,145
Location
Redcar
Wikipedia says a lot of stuff.......

What you have neglected to mention is that a) This is a 2013 document b) these were proposed for after HS2 was complete c) the document is wonderfully named 'Assumptions'.
 
Last edited:

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Joined
6 Jun 2005
Messages
78,538
Location
Yorkshire
Wikipedia says...

The proposals for Great Western Railway include:
* an introduction of a service between {{Stnlnk|Birmingham New Street}} and London Paddington;
* a reduction in services between {{Stnlnk|Oxford}} and London Paddington because of the [[Chiltern Railways]] service between {{Stnlnk|London Marylebone}} and {{Stnlnk|Oxford}};
Even our Year 7s know Wikipedia is not a primary source ;)

Can you please provide a decent source and a quote in quote tags, as per our forum rules. Thanks :)
 

pdeaves

Established Member
Joined
14 Sep 2014
Messages
5,932
Location
Gateway to the South West
I remember that, fairly sure it was both short lived & run by Cross Country trains.

Yes on both counts. VXC wanted to run a regular service Birmingham-Swindon and it was shown as a separate route in their timetables. In practice it was only Cheltenham-Swindon. It took over the Wessex Trains Stroud line services (FGW retained its ones) so for two years Kemble, Stroud and Stonehouse were Wessex Trains stations not served by Wessex Trains.
 
Joined
5 Jan 2014
Messages
570
I remember back in the late 70 computing between Paddington and Oxford and 47 hauled services that were either Birmingham services or cross country services
 

Tim R-T-C

Established Member
Joined
23 May 2011
Messages
2,143
What would the purpose of direct trains on that route be. There are direct trains Birmingham to Oxford. Direct from Oxford to London. There are direct trains Birmingham to London which are much faster than they would be able to run via Oxford.

Welcome to the world of wikipedia and platform end wibble. If you look hard enough, almost everything has been suggested in a report at some point, doesn't mean it has ever got past one optimistic civil servant.
 

CaptainHaddock

Established Member
Joined
10 Feb 2011
Messages
2,730
I've heard that the rumoured GWR service from Paddington to Birmingham will be run entirely using locos from the strategic steam reserve that's been hidden away in Woodhead Tunnel since the 1960s.
 

ChiefPlanner

Established Member
Joined
6 Sep 2011
Messages
8,346
Location
Herts
I've heard that the rumoured GWR service from Paddington to Birmingham will be run entirely using locos from the strategic steam reserve that's been hidden away in Woodhead Tunnel since the 1960s.

With rolling stock salvaged from the now defunct "nuclear control trains" hidden away in the now demolished carriage shed at Craven Arms.

A special and secret Welsh coal mine is to be re-opened to provide loco coal , with a resident shunt engine called "Ivor"
 

ChiefPlanner

Established Member
Joined
6 Sep 2011
Messages
8,346
Location
Herts
I remember back in the late 70 computing between Paddington and Oxford and 47 hauled services that were either Birmingham services or cross country services

There were indeed such trains , some working through to Piccadilly and (I think) Glasgow , mainly because the sets and traction came from a good nights rest at Old Oak Common. All ended with Operation Princess, if not slightly before.
 

BanburyBlue

Member
Joined
18 May 2015
Messages
880
I think towards the end (before Princess) the Paddington XC services were limited to one morning train a day - agree with the Old Oak Common scenario. I don't remember any southbound trains terminating at Paddington?
 

TT-ONR-NRN

Veteran Member
Joined
30 Dec 2016
Messages
12,895
Location
Cambridge
I don't mean proposals from ages ago! It honestly says on Wikipedia that proposals for later in the rebranded franchise include a direct Birmingham service
 

Darandio

Established Member
Joined
24 Feb 2007
Messages
11,145
Location
Redcar
I don't mean proposals from ages ago! It honestly says on Wikipedia that proposals for later in the rebranded franchise include a direct Birmingham service

The bit you quoted? You mean the proposals for services in 10 years time?
 

cactustwirly

Established Member
Joined
10 Apr 2013
Messages
8,424
Location
UK
I don't mean proposals from ages ago! It honestly says on Wikipedia that proposals for later in the rebranded franchise include a direct Birmingham service

Not going to happen because it's a waste of time, money & capacity.
 

Gareth Marston

Established Member
Joined
26 Jun 2010
Messages
6,231
Location
Newtown Montgomeryshire
With rolling stock salvaged from the now defunct "nuclear control trains" hidden away in the now demolished carriage shed at Craven Arms.

A special and secret Welsh coal mine is to be re-opened to provide loco coal , with a resident shunt engine called "Ivor"

Alas I've heard Grayling wants to cancel the plan.....
 

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Joined
6 Jun 2005
Messages
78,538
Location
Yorkshire
I don't mean proposals from ages ago! It honestly says on Wikipedia that proposals for later in the rebranded franchise include a direct Birmingham service
Yes but,as I said above, Wikipedia isn't a primary source; you need to provide a link to a reputable source and a quote from it.

A good Wikipedia article will cite it's sources.
 

Tim R-T-C

Established Member
Joined
23 May 2011
Messages
2,143
I don't mean proposals from ages ago! It honestly says on Wikipedia that proposals for later in the rebranded franchise include a direct Birmingham service

Yes Wikipedia, accurate to the last

Screen-shot-2014-04-01-at-5.07.15-PM.jpg
 

Lemmy99uk

Member
Joined
5 May 2015
Messages
566
I remember back in the late 70 computing between Paddington and Oxford and 47 hauled services that were either Birmingham services or cross country services

Class 50s were also regular on the Paddington/Brum services.

I remember the 19:25 Birmingham to Didcot well. It was a regular commute home to Solihull for me.
 

route101

Veteran Member
Joined
16 May 2010
Messages
12,324
I think towards the end (before Princess) the Paddington XC services were limited to one morning train a day - agree with the Old Oak Common scenario. I don't remember any southbound trains terminating at Paddington?

I used to have timetable and im sure there was a Glasgow to Paddington Train
 

xotGD

Established Member
Joined
4 Feb 2017
Messages
7,904
I used to have timetable and im sure there was a Glasgow to Paddington Train

There was a Padd - Edinburgh at one point back in the day. I remember a feature on the service in one of the rail mags.
 

Kite159

Veteran Member
Joined
27 Jan 2014
Messages
22,862
Location
West of Andover
Wouldn't it make so much more sense for the proposal to be a XC service from Brighton towards London, then to Reading, Birmingham, Nottingham before carrying on to Glasgow via the S&C? :lol:
 

Tim R-T-C

Established Member
Joined
23 May 2011
Messages
2,143
Wouldn't it make so much more sense for the proposal to be a XC service from Brighton towards London, then to Reading, Birmingham, Nottingham before carrying on to Glasgow via the S&C? :lol:

Surely to Edinburgh, via the S&C then the re-opened Waverley route...
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top